C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Brake fluid flush??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 11:16 AM

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
2001 Audi S4 Sedan (RIP) 2013 P31 W204 C63 (RIP)
Kind of / sort of on topic: I noticed during my track event this Saturday that my pass-side front caliper turned burgundy/maroon color whereas the driver'-side front was still pretty close to the original Brembo red (maybe just a tad darker)... The brakes were never smoking or anything nor did I notice the car pulling to one side or the other, so I'm guessing that the P-side just got hotter than the other and the D-side will eventually turn that color too? Or is there may be a mechanical issue in the PS caliper like a sticking piston that caused that?

Either way, I'm sure I cooked the fluid on that side and I should re-bleed again... Just wondering if the fluid I left in my Motive bleeder a few weeks ago is still good
Old 05-28-2019, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Brake fluid is good for a few weeks if sealed tightly. Not sure if I’d trust the Motive with all that excess air volume.

Caliper discoloration is a strange thing. Wobble64 turned his caliper paint to dark reddish grey after just a few track days. On the other hand mine are still Brembo Red after 4 years of heavy track duty. And I’m not easy on them - my wheels have been so hot that they melted the center caps. I don’t know why some discolor while others do not but I wouldn’t worry about if if the brakes are performing fine.

EDIT: Took my calipers off to refinish. After cleaning them up I can see that the paint is discolored. Dark and light patches everywhere. And all of the dust boots were trashed.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 08-17-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Brake fluid is good for a few weeks if sealed tightly. Not sure if I’d trust the Motive with all that excess air volume.

Caliper discoloration is a strange thing. Wobble64 turned his caliper paint to dark reddish grey after just a few track days. On the other hand mine are still Brembo Red after 4 years of heavy track duty. And I’m not easy on them - my wheels have been so hot that they melted the center caps. I don’t know why some discolor while others do not but I wouldn’t worry about if if the brakes are performing fine.
Interesting. Yeah, I've read about the discoloration in other threads (particularly silver calipers turning gold) and probably wouldn't care much if they both turn the same shade of red... But guess I'll just chalk it up as a different batch of powder coating from the factory

FWIW, I lost two front center caps from my Forgelines this weekend too... melted the o-rings and found themselves a new home somewhere at Homestead Miami Speedway
Old 05-29-2019, 06:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,576 Likes on 929 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
The fluid left in the motive would been fully exposed to external atmosphere unless you blocked the end of the tubing and kept it pressurised.

That fluid is junk now.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jasonoff
The fluid left in the motive would been fully exposed to external atmosphere unless you blocked the end of the tubing and kept it pressurised.

That fluid is junk now.
Yeah, prolly right. Shoulda corked the hose-end in hindsight

Wasn't much in there anyway, so I'll just throw that out a toss a fresh pint in there... Should be enough to at least get the calipers and SS lines cleared. Stuff in the reservoir is pretty new and should still be good enough to push through the system.