C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

new c63 owner...anything notorious to look out for?

Old 11-12-2012, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
new c63 owner...anything notorious to look out for?

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a used c63. Probably going to end up with a 2009 with 30-45,000 miles because that's where my budget has led me to be able to afford. Is there anything I should inspect for when looking at these vehicles?

I've read from a sticky here that they are notorious for a head gasket leak so I would like any and all comments regarding anything I should inspect for before purchasing. Would it be wise to replace the head bolts as soon as I get the car just to be safe and prevent the leak from happening?

Any comments are much appreciated!

Last edited by nagasawa; 11-12-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
You could preempt the issue, but it's a decent chunk of change.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:16 AM

Evo IX
nagasawa, I am in the same situation as you. I hope you dont mind me maybe adding to your question instead of making a new thread.

In addition to what should the OP look for, is there any features that are "must haves" when looking for a used c63 amg? LSD? etc
Old 11-12-2012, 11:26 AM

06 CTT-S
nagasawa (kabayan?) :-)

anyways, on the topic - if you can, have the car inspected (pre-purchase inspection).. also, if you can have MB extended warranty, then look at that option also. as you mentioned, there are posts here with regards to issues on the heads, etc. you don't want to have these things happen and you are out of warranty.

interior rattles, etc - i have them once in a while but not really annoys me.

the car is one hell of a car (i have a hell of an SUV but i don't drive that anymore.. garage queen!!).
Old 11-12-2012, 11:32 AM

06 CTT-S
Originally Posted by tdoom15
nagasawa, I am in the same situation as you. I hope you dont mind me maybe adding to your question instead of making a new thread.

In addition to what should the OP look for, is there any features that are "must haves" when looking for a used c63 amg? LSD? etc
for 09's i think the P30 package have the 2 pc brakes in the front.. that's a bit pricey compared to non-P30 amg's (to replace). the 10's and up (with P31) are one piece (correct me if im wrong).

LSD is part of the P30. alcantara steering wheels, carbon fiber interior, speed up to 170mph.

*again, check if you can get MB extended warranty if you are planning to get 08 and 09 (and some early 10's as posted in the other threads).

good luck and hope you join the all mighty gas family
Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I think you're right about everything except the CF interior. I think that was still optional because I don't have it.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:42 AM

06 CTT-S
thanks for that Cool.. i thought the carbon fiber interior was part of the performance package.. so that was a separate option then on our cars :-)
Old 11-12-2012, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
I think you're right about everything except the CF interior. I think that was still optional because I don't have it.
+1.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
unless you have a dire need for the p30, i would skip it. If you are already on a budget buying the car, the replacement of expensive brakes would be a untimely sticker shock later on.

What is a must imo are the creature comforts. Go for the car with a navi, with keyless go, make sure they have bi-xenon headlights.... some cars also have the the rear screen option which is very nice ( i know i use it alot ).

hope that helps
Old 11-12-2012, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by mgbrillo
thanks for that Cool.. i thought the carbon fiber interior was part of the performance package.. so that was a separate option then on our cars :-)
I'm actually glad I don't have it, otherwise, I'd have the constant, uncontrollable need to carbon EVERYTHING
Old 11-12-2012, 12:30 PM

06 CTT-S
wrap it!! cheaper option.. hehehe
Old 11-12-2012, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
I'm actually glad I don't have it, otherwise, I'd have the constant, uncontrollable need to carbon EVERYTHING
well your car came as perfection when you picked it up. No need to mess with it
Old 11-12-2012, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
wrap it!! cheaper option.. hehehe
LOL, seriously, just wrap the whole car!

Originally Posted by Fung63
well your car came as perfection when you picked it up. No need to mess with it
You're too kind
Old 11-12-2012, 03:48 PM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
Is that correct, that only the 09 p30 package cars come with the expensive 2 piece rotors? So 2010's with whatever the package is called for that year (p31?) won't have the 2 piece rotors?
Old 11-12-2012, 04:37 PM

Evo IX
for 09's i think the P30 package have the 2 pc brakes in the front.. that's a bit pricey compared to non-P30 amg's (to replace). the 10's and up (with P31) are one piece (correct me if im wrong).

LSD is part of the P30. alcantara steering wheels, carbon fiber interior, speed up to 170mph.

*again, check if you can get MB extended warranty if you are planning to get 08 and 09 (and some early 10's as posted in the other threads).

good luck and hope you join the all mighty gas family
-Does the alcantara steering wheels ONLY come on the p30 package? I ask bc a local dealership has one with it.
-Any other ways to differentiate the p30 vs regular beside what you mention? How expensive to replace the 2 piece brakes vs standard?

-Tuned, with intake and exhaust, what kind of power am I looking at? And does this make the p30 a moot selling point if I plan on doing it anyhow.

-Bi-Xenon headlights...I'm guessing this means 2 sets of HIDS? high/low, or low/fog?

-Keyless Go is a feature I really want, but what is the best way to differentiate if one has it or not as I find most dealerships are not the most knowledgeable, and I'm doing most of my looking on autotrader/cars.com.

-Why do you recommend the extended warranty aside from the head gasket leaks?

-Slotted rotors cause any problems in the winter or on country roads for anyone?

Sorry for all the questions, it's a different world coming from an evo where you bolt on parts, tune it and go fast!

Last edited by tdoom15; 11-12-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63, C55 (Sold)
unless you have a dire need for the p30, i would skip it. If you are already on a budget buying the car, the replacement of expensive brakes would be a untimely sticker shock later on.

What is a must imo are the creature comforts. Go for the car with a navi, with keyless go, make sure they have bi-xenon headlights.... some cars also have the the rear screen option which is very nice ( i know i use it alot ).

hope that helps
+ 1
Keep in mind that if you are looking for a 2009-2010 you will need to replace the front brakes at 35-40k miles, and P30 rotors are very expensive. If you can have the brakes replaced by the dealer on the moment you are buying it, would be great for your pocket.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

-Keyless Go is a feature I really want, but what is the best way to differentiate if one has it or not as I find most dealerships are not the most knowledgeable, and I'm doing most of my looking on autotrader/cars.com.

-Slotted rotors cause any problems in the winter or on country roads for anyone?

Sorry for all the questions, it's a different world coming from an evo where you bolt on parts, tune it and go fast!
keyless go is easy to spot. there will be a big silver button where the key would go. also, you will be able to lock and unlock the car by touching the handle.

extended warranty is key when buying a cpo car. MB parts and labour in general is expensive... this is an amg so everything is even more expensive. stretch warranty as far as you can so if not the headbolts but other issues, everything will be covered for you.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Originally Posted by ShaneN.
Is that correct, that only the 09 p30 package cars come with the expensive 2 piece rotors? So 2010's with whatever the package is called for that year (p31?) won't have the 2 piece rotors?
The 2010+ PP does have a two piece rotor but a different design by Brembo. The aluminum hat is cast onto the rotor. Here is a link with a description. http://www.pixelmotion.com/customers/brembo-cadillac/
Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
-Does the alcantara steering wheels ONLY come on the p30 package? I ask bc a local dealership has one with it.
-Any other ways to differentiate the p30 vs regular beside what you mention? How expensive to replace the 2 piece brakes vs standard?

-Tuned, with intake and exhaust, what kind of power am I looking at? And does this make the p30 a moot selling point if I plan on doing it anyhow.

-Bi-Xenon headlights...I'm guessing this means 2 sets of HIDS? high/low, or low/fog?

I assume in your first bullet you're talking about visually. I think the brakes are the only way.

For those mods, I imagine you could easily get an 80hp gain if you also removed cats and resonators. That's approximately what I got, but this tune is a year or so old so I could probably squeeze out 10+ more hp.

Skipping #3.

There are small, annoying gremlins that can come up. Just peace of mind in addition to the headbolt issue.

Not sure about #5.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:58 PM

335i
keyless go is easy to spot. there will be a big silver button where the key would go. also, you will be able to lock and unlock the car by touching the handle.

extended warranty is key when buying a cpo car. MB parts and labour in general is expensive... this is an amg so everything is even more expensive. stretch warranty as far as you can so if not the headbolts but other issues, everything will be covered for you.
OP should also note that if he plans to look for keyless go, know it wasn't available until 2010 for US spec cars
Old 11-12-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 Diamond White C63 Coupe
Honestly I would stay away from the PP. With the money that you would save you can get some fancy exterior parts and some go-fast mods
Old 11-13-2012, 12:58 AM

06 CTT-S
some dealers use the PP as a selling point. some don't. i didn't know that my car had the PP with that expensive to replace rotors until i got the car (about a month or so after purchase) so it was a surprise. i thought the PP would have the red calipers but that started on the 10 and up models. the dealer had replaced them (rotors and pads) when they did the CPO on it so it's quite new. if its time to replace them, i might go aftermarket (or whatever is a cheaper option since i don't track the car, just a daily driver).
Old 11-13-2012, 01:01 AM

06 CTT-S
the delimiter (to 170 mph) can be done via tune. there are aftermarket LSD available. there are also alcantara aftermarket wheels (or they re-work on orig MB wheels; core swap), the interior can be wrapped or some members here sell the CF interior trims.

10-up models have better iPod integration than the 08-09.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by LuisC55AMG
+ 1
Keep in mind that if you are looking for a 2009-2010 you will need to replace the front brakes at 35-40k miles, and P30 rotors are very expensive. If you can have the brakes replaced by the dealer on the moment you are buying it, would be great for your pocket.

Sorry this is false.

I have the two piece rotors resurfaced with 62,000km on them and they still have 50% life remaining.

These two piece rotors should last you AT LEAST 100,000km. You simply throw on new pads (425 bucks at formymercedes.com) and go. No need to resurface or anything. (Unless you're getting shaking when you brake)

I was quoted over $4000 for a brake job at the dealer (p30, non-p30 is much cheaper). They wont reuse your rotors, they just throw those $1200/each rotors in the trash, doesn't matter to them.

My brake job, I did at home and it cost me 425 bucks.... If you got more money then brains, get the dealer to do it.

Another thing I would look into is LSD... Its not mandatory, but if you drive aggressively you will appreciate it.