C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Dyno results on a Mustang Dyno

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Dyno results on a Mustang Dyno

I do not have completely stock dyno numbers because I was unable to get on a dyno before I had the headers installed. This post is only to tell measure the delta between the stock file and v4 tune.

Here's my setup:
AFE Pro Dry S filters
Charcoals removed
MBH Headers
MBH catless mid-pipes
MBH X-pipe
Eurocharged v4 tune for 93 ocatane and headers

The dyno was performed on a Mustang Dynamometer at Performance Autowerks in Plainfield, IL. The runs were performed in 4th gear except for one run in 5th gear, but we had an issue with power cutting out on 5th gear at 142 mph.

The difference between the stock file with headers and the tune plus headers is +43 rwhp and +25 ft lb. It's too bad I wasn't able to get the dyno runs completely stock before the headers, but it is what it is.

Here is the dyno chart. #1 is the stock file plus headers and #2 is the v4 Eurocharged tune plus headers. You'll see they are from two different days because I forgot to bring the handheld tuner with me the first day. I went back the next morning to run again. The best I got was 397 before running the stock tune so we took the number from the results from the previous day. Since Mustang dynos are weather corrected I didn't think it mattered which results we showed. Two were 398, one was 397 so the variation was 1 rwhp.

Here is a clip of the car running on the dyno:

The car was run once in 5th gear and it cut power at 142 mph which I thought was strange. Either the tune does not remove the speed limiter or there was some other problem I am unaware of.

Maybe someone else can chime in on what might have caused the power cut after seeing the dyno graph below.

They really weren't kidding nicknaming the Mustang Dyno "The Heartbreaker" because the numbers read really low. There is a DynoJet that I might test out to see what the difference is between the two dyno machines, but that is more for curiosity. I've been told that it is configured very conservatively, but I don't really know what that means.

Just to give you an idea, my car ran 11.913 with the headers and tune, but the intake manifold had a pretty big leak at the time. I brought the car to the dealer the week after and they replaced the gaskets, seals and bolts under warranty. I noticed a considerable difference after they fixed the leak, but unfortunately the track I normally go to is now closed for the season. I would need to find a new track that is still open to test on.

I might just have to wait until next season and by then I will have DR's added to my setup for better launches.

Last edited by HoozyerdaddyC63; 11-26-2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: forgot the x-pipe mod in first post
Old 11-26-2012, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Carrying interesting results. Mine were equally low on the Mustang. I'd be very interested to see how you do on the DynoJet.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:18 PM

C63
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
Carrying interesting results. Mine were equally low on the Mustang. I'd be very interested to see how you do on the DynoJet.
After doing a considerable amount of research I am convinced that dynos are only good for tuning.

Sadly every dyno tells a different story depending on the operator. Opinion has it that Mustang dynos are supposed to be closer to real world performance and dynojet numbers are for bragging rights.

What's worse is there is no standard setup for any dyno that operators follow. They can inflate/deflate numbers all day long by changing parameters and ultimately deflate numbers to convince unsuspecting individuals to use their tuning services or inflate numbers to get people excited to use their dynamometer services. I'm not saying everyone does this or even half of them do this, but do your research and only deal with reputable shops.

The track will tell more in the end than any dyno would and I can't wait to get back out there running the car again. Next season I will have DR's and better 60' times.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Yeah, based on other threads about dynos, I've read the same.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 sedan
Agreed, dynos are only useful for documenting gains from a baseline run.

Looking forward to your track times with the new numbers.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
When my C63 was stock it dynoed 360whp. On Mustang dyno.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:26 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
When my C63 was stock it dynoed 360whp. On Mustang dyno.
Yea, but you're C63 is a freak and it was a Dyno Dynamics which sometimes reads lower.

My setup is almost exactly the same as Xtype except I don't have the Kleeman tune or the ROW airboxes. Everything else is the same. I forgot to add that I have the MBH x-pipe too. Thoretically I would be putting down 460+ on a Dynojet, but who knows unless I throw it up there.

Anyway, nobody races dynos.