Resonator / Secondary Cat Delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 908 Likes on 638 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by NCBob
Got a question. I'm new to the C63 world. I've read that there appears to be four cats on the C63. Correct? By removing two of them, as in the secondaries, will the car pass state emissions inspection? I'd like a little more volume, but not too overwelming.
I've not yet been under the car, so I have no idea how it's configured.
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
Yes, you only need one set of cats to pass smog, at least in California. I have no cats and I just dropped in a couple of 200 cell high-flow cats and that was good enough for the sniffer.
Going along with the original question... You say it will pass smog in cali, however, will having no secondary cats cause the primaries to make it so the car doesn't set monitors for readiness?

Basically, my issue is just this. The dealer is trying to get the car I just bought to pass inspection. They are unable to have 3 exhaust related monitors to set to ready. The car has primary cats, no secondaries or resonator, but does have mufflers. This car also seems to have a tune which regardless doesn't allow monitors to set. However, one of the techs believes that even when the car is flashed back to stock without the secondary cats providing some sort of back pressure there will still be a problem with the readings of the primary cats.

Thoughts?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I'm not sure how Vivid Racing worked around it. Perhaps you could give them a call to ask them.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
I was under the impression that Vivid is pretty much just a retailer and sells parts for almost any car. I've visited their website plenty of times and if they are able to give technical data on each part they sell on every car I'd seriously be impressed.

Maybe the person to call is Agency Power or the actual manufacturer. So I don't thread jack I'll update the thread I started in a minute.

I figure it would just be a good idea to throw that question into the air here as well
Old 03-27-2013, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
VR is a reseller, but they also do installs on-site. In fact, they did every performance mod on my car since it was their show car for 2011. I'm sure someone there worked on my car with the cat delete and could at least point you in the right direction. I also believe Vivid Racing and Agency Power are the same company.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Hm, never knew Vivid and Agency were the same. Learn something new everyday.