coolant smell, level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
coolant smell, level

'09 with 1600 miles (i know)

i've noticed since i got the car a few weeks ago that the coolant reservoir lid had some dried blue residue in the seam and sort-of dripped around the general area.

i checked it twice when cold a few days apart and it seems that the level is always above the nub in the tank as if it is overfilled. it never changes. the only time i checked it to see if it was ever higher than the cold level was when it wasn't cold, but warm...almost hot, the coolant was like right at the lid and leaked out as i slowly turned it. no pressure release really but just a full reservoir.

i guess when they CPOd the car and serviced it up for sale they added too much coolant and it somehow leaks out of the lid when it gets hot enough? because the car always seems to smell a little bit like coolant in the bay, esp. in that area. how else would the residue get in the lid seam and drip from there.

i removed somes of of the coolant (a decent amount, actually) so it's basically at the nub when cold (which is what is explained in the manual) - that seems to be the right level. we'll see if it makes a difference and if the dried up blue residue comes back around the lid and dripped onto the fender well liner from the lid.

anyone else ever notice blue residue around the expansion tank or smell coolant in that general area or in the bay after driving?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
When cold the level should be between the top black and bottom white lines.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 PM

C63
thanks; i have to look again - i don't recall the lines!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Top of reservoir is black, bottom is white, where they meet is the cold level. Mine has some crust around the cap too. Sounds like yours is overfilled.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:30 PM

C63
Originally Posted by BerBer63
Top of reservoir is black, bottom is white, where they meet is the cold level. Mine has some crust around the cap too. Sounds like yours is overfilled.
ahh, haha, ok i see. yeah it was definitely filled too much.

thanks guys.