Sponsored by:

Jack and stand mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63AMG, NIssan NX2000, Pontiac Fiero GT
Jack and stand mods

To achieve elevation for full HF jack stand extension here are a couple mods some may find interesting.

The Harbor Freight jack is rated at 19" elevation(measures 20"), not enough to raise the front onto fully extended jack stands (so a creeper can be used).

The jack has a removable metal pad, so the "riser" may be fastened to the pad seat with the same hex wrench driven screw. The riser is 4"" tall from thick wall fence post. It is up to the task, and its diameter (2-1/4") allows it to slip by the exhaust bracket in back to settle on the rear frame cross member. I added a formed top hat which was perfect for the front, but which did not like the rear frame so much. (see the distortion in rear end pic), I will probably mod the top of the round riser into a semi circularJack and stand mods-079.jpg

Jack and stand mods-080.jpg cutout. Purposely no welding for the diy'er, but a top hat could be welded. The riser tabs for the washer hold down are a bench hacksaw job.

No way do I like crawling under cars on jackstands with only the rack teeth so I added simple pins on lanyards. These are strut shafts cut up but bolts should work. Yes, I would like a real hoist, but have a problem with ? $3K and the gyrations without are good for you-yoga!
Attached Thumbnails Jack and stand mods-081.jpg   Jack and stand mods-082.jpg   Jack and stand mods-083.jpg   Jack and stand mods-084.jpg  

Last edited by motoman; 03-28-2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: second thread below will show jackstands