2013 One Lap of America in a C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by abcut973
Glad you made it to NOLA motorsport and carried out some positive testing
Unfortunately i've been pretty busy with work over the week end so i couldn't join you. Matter of fact I'm just seeing your posts right now.
We will be driving thru on Wednesday on our way to South Bend for the start of the event. Maybe we can meet up at Hooters in DS.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Great updates.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG P30 + OE Tuning
Man.. you sure are having fun!!!

Thanks for the updates and keep them coming!!!

I have to say, the exhaust note from the magna flow is somewhat awesome!!! Look forward to see/hear more videos of the car on the track.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by yazid
Man.. you sure are having fun!!!

Thanks for the updates and keep them coming!!!

I have to say, the exhaust note from the magna flow is somewhat awesome!!! Look forward to see/hear more videos of the car on the track.
I have the rear facing GoPro video and thinking of just uploading it raw.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Originally Posted by AutoTech Racing
We will be driving thru on Wednesday on our way to South Bend for the start of the event. Maybe we can meet up at Hooters in DS.
What time will you be in the area tomorrow?
Old 05-03-2013, 11:51 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Here is another tease after all the stickers are on the car.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:00 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
wtf is that exhaust? ew
Old 05-04-2013, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KTM 200 xcw
Tango!!!!!!!

Old 05-13-2013, 01:19 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Cool

Originally Posted by - Guilty -
wtf is that exhaust? ew
That EW Exhaust was voted to be the best sounding car at Daytona and won the Best Sounding Award at the end of the event! We built a purposeful car that made huge power reliably all week, 4000+ miles of driving and I will have more updates in a couple days.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
After many back to back attempts at trying to keep the transmission from going into a limp mode or trying to reduce engine temps after many back to back runs, I think a quick & easy solution has rendered a solution.

After a thought out analysis of the plethora of heat exchangers located in front of the radiator... I decided to stop or at least make it more difficult for the airflow to simply bounce off the forward heat exchangers, surf over the core support and up to the engine air intakes. This hot air simply increases the heat issue and reduces the designed efficiency of an already stout trans cooler.

By adding this panel, the airflow is stacked at the front of the heat exchanger, hot air is blocked from rising up into the engine air inlets and our repeated tests have shown great results without having any further cut in performance. At speed the throttle response even feels better. I'm looking for a VBOX to see any differences since our last run but I can say the temps are showing lower and no more limp mode after a 30-45 minute heat soak.

Visit our Facebook page for pics and descriptions of this mod. We will have these for sale in either high density plastic or carbon fiber after OLOA.

Click here to see the photo album on Facebook.
Still not to sold?
Old 06-10-2013, 07:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 Diamond White C63 Coupe
Any videos for this? Great thread!
Old 06-10-2013, 11:20 PM

2010 C63
Looking forward to updates!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
09 C63
Are using standard or aftermarket cams now?
Old 06-11-2013, 01:07 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Just an FYI for those following our progress, I was Suspended for sharing this info on how to make our cars more reliable during track use. It is apparent to me that sharing this info is only allowed if I pay a vendor fee to do so.

So i will go back to posting about wheels, wax and doing burnouts since that must be the most important thing regarding the C63.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 Diamond White C63 Coupe
Just an FYI for those following our progress, I was Suspended for sharing this info on how to make our cars more reliable during track use. It is apparent to me that sharing this info is only allowed if I pay a vendor fee to do so.

So i will go back to posting about wheels, wax and doing burnouts since that must be the most important thing regarding the C63.
That is some rather unfortunate news. I am sure there are enough people here who would love to hear the updates, myself included.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:24 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Cool

Originally Posted by OlegKouz
That is some rather unfortunate news. I am sure there are enough people here who would love to hear the updates, myself included.
The update on the car is that we sucked. The car simply had all the power in the world, was extremely reliable but simply would not turn. Because of our short time to prepare the car and the selection of our tires being too hard of a compound, the ability for us to be truly competitive against the likes of BMW's finest offerings having front tires nearly 2-3" wider with better camber gains was a futile attempt at competing.

So right now we are evaluating whether or not to even run the car for next year's event.

We were TOLD at Tire Rack the 235/40-18 was the only tire available from Michelin in the Super Sport line, which to our surprise upon the conclusion of the event, I was told there is a 245/35-18 made for Lamborghini and Ferrari that has an extra belt in the sidewall and shouldered tread black with a degree of negative camber built into it. This would have been very helpful when trying to get this car to turn. See the photo below at how the car is rolling the tires over and this was at 51 psi!!! Our tire pressures were simply out of control. We could start at 28-32, the recommended pressure... and within one session they would be at 45-50 psi fronts. The rears needed 28 psi cold and they worked great!

The car is cornering with great balance, it just refuses to turn. The rear is planted without drama, the fronts cannot get the car into a rotation to save the day. Interesting note here... my lap times were faster than Keith's car at Daytona, as measured from his videos... so I know I am giving this car all the hell it can handle.

So I am going to see if anyone makes a Camber plate setup for the front, try to find an appropriate front fender so I can increase the wheel size and then take it to the track to test. I was only 2-seconds per lap behind the fastest BMW having 600+ whp and full aero, weighing in some 500# lighter than me... so I am looking for a lap improvement of 3-seconds per lap at NOLA in the next month to continue.

Last edited by AutoTech Racing; 06-11-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
10 C six trizzle

lol sounds like supra forums. Whats wrong with a sponsor posting up pics of a new wheel every other post and bumping it everyday or 10 sponsors selling the same product and advertising it daily. Nice to see someone going to town on there c63 using like it was intended. keep it up.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:50 AM

CLK63 Black Series

Welcome to MBWorld.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:58 AM

CLK63 Black Series
The update on the car is that we sucked. The car simply had all the power in the world, was extremely reliable but simply would not turn. Because of our short time to prepare the car and the selection of our tires being too hard of a compound, the ability for us to be truly competitive against the likes of BMW's finest offerings having front tires nearly 2-3" wider with better camber gains was a futile attempt at competing.

So right now we are evaluating whether or not to even run the car for next year's event.

We were TOLD at Tire Rack the 235/40-18 was the only tire available from Michelin in the Super Sport line, which to our surprise upon the conclusion of the event, I was told there is a 245/35-18 made for Lamborghini and Ferrari that has an extra belt in the sidewall and shouldered tread black with a degree of negative camber built into it. This would have been very helpful when trying to get this car to turn. See the photo below at how the car is rolling the tires over and this was at 51 psi!!! Our tire pressures were simply out of control. We could start at 28-32, the recommended pressure... and within one session they would be at 45-50 psi fronts. The rears needed 28 psi cold and they worked great!

The car is cornering with great balance, it just refuses to turn. The rear is planted without drama, the fronts cannot get the car into a rotation to save the day. Interesting note here... my lap times were faster than Keith's car at Daytona, as measured from his videos... so I know I am giving this car all the hell it can handle.

So I am going to see if anyone makes a Camber plate setup for the front, try to find an appropriate front fender so I can increase the wheel size and then take it to the track to test. I was only 2-seconds per lap behind the fastest BMW having 600+ whp and full aero, weighing in some 500# lighter than me... so I am looking for a lap improvement of 3-seconds per lap at NOLA in the next month to continue.

From these pics alone I can say without a doubt you need more mechanical grip. What springs and shocks are you running? Sure you can always use bigger rubber but with the right triple adjustable shocks, 700# springs, good sway bars and shock tower braces front and rear and a good corner balance you should be able to do much better on a road course. Pic one looks like that pig is understeering like crazy. That's easy to fix with some good suspension work but it may not be very fun to drive cross country. Compromises are a biatch.

Last edited by PaulWdz; 06-14-2013 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:50 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Paul,

I know the front is screwed. We were running the H&R Coilovers in the front and I kept adjusting the preload as much as I could to balance the car. The problem was getting the car three weeks before the beginning of the event and focusing on the tire selection, cam install (for which we are still waiting on parts MHP said they shipped three months ago), Tuning and then testing at NOLA.

I am looking for a company that makes Camber plates for the front. Haven't found any yet.

I see Renntech offers a bushing replacement and I am sourcing better tires than the Michelin Super Sports which is what we used. It became immediately clear the 235/40-18s were our Achilles heel for the event. We just could not turn the car. Upon arriving back at Tire Rack, I was told there was a 245/35 I could have selected but now looking at the 255/30-19 instead. I am looking into wider, stronger, lighter wheels. The stock wheels are super soft and became WAY out of round after hitting the curbing at during the events to help rotate the car.

We are looking at the Yokohama Neova AD08 for our possible replacement tire and then going to test at NOLA or Texas World in the next couple weeks.

Thanks for the input... I am all ears to finding suppliers for parts to make this car turn.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How about lighter wheels too? Or do you think it won't change much?
Old 06-17-2013, 02:17 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Cool

How about lighter wheels too? Or do you think it won't change much?
Lighter will definitely help because the tires increase the corner weights by a few pounds each. What wheels/sizes did you go with? I remember seeing your car and it looks sick!!
Old 06-17-2013, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lighter will definitely help because the tires increase the corner weights by a few pounds each. What wheels/sizes did you go with? I remember seeing your car and it looks sick!!
I'm on forgestar CF10 (textured bronze) + michelin PSS:

F 8.5x19 ET 45 245/35
R 10x19 ET 48 275/30

Pretty much decent set of aftermarket wheels at a decent price.
Recently installed my H&R springs.
When you are at it get 2pc rotors too for weight saving unless you have performance package P30 already?
Old 06-17-2013, 03:37 PM

2010 C63 AMG
I'm on forgestar CF10 (textured bronze) + michelin PSS:

F 8.5x19 ET 45 245/35
R 10x19 ET 48 275/30

Pretty much decent set of aftermarket wheels at a decent price.
Recently installed my H&R springs.
When you are at it get 2pc rotors too for weight saving unless you have performance package P30 already?
Girodisc hooked us up on the brakes. No worries there.

Do you think you could have fit a 9" front and the 255/35 tire in front? I am looking at the Yokohama Neova tires and getting away from the Michelins.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Girodisc hooked us up on the brakes. No worries there.

Do you think you could have fit a 9" front and the 255/35 tire in front? I am looking at the Yokohama Neova tires and getting away from the Michelins.
My guess would be yes you can fit 9x10 up front. Then it all depends on your offset and tires brand. I dont know about the Yokohoma but some tires are definitely thinner than the PSS.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2013 One Lap of America in a C63