Sponsored by:

Experience at dealership for C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
My car is financed through PenFed and they had to deal with my car being a private sale. I think they'll be one of the lowest rates you'll find if you get approved. The application process was easy and I got a firm answer in like 2 days with a check on the way in less than a week.

Btw, OP, once all of this is done, you should join some of us for some local Bay Area meets. Je parle français aussi
Last try tomorrow with Penfed! Gonna cross my fingers.

And trust me once this is done, I will join buddy
Old 06-11-2013, 02:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
F10 M5 Comp, 2012 Ford Raptor
Keep in mind there are a couple types of credit scores. Since you're in California, most likely dealers are pulling your Experian score (as opposed to Equifax or TransUnion), which then goes through FICO's scoring algorithm to give a numeric snapshot of your creditworthiness. It doesn't stop there, because many lenders use "auto-enhanced" scores which heavily factor in previous installment payments, such as those you would encounter with previous auto loan history.

Since you don't have much of that, the risk model changes and one of the methods of approving the loan is to put down a large downpayment. However, if you do not agree to the terms and cannot find a car or loan to your liking within 30 days, several other things begin to happen:

Inquiries into your credit can hurt your score further, especially if there are several of them in a short period of time. FICO scoring methods generally treat any inquiry from a dealer or vehicle financing company within a thirty day period as one "hard pull" - meaning if you apply to multiple credit organizations (or even if you apply to one dealer and they farm the app out to ten different lenders) - it will be treated as "car shopping" and your score will not drop. However, and generally speaking, after that thirty day period, each inquiry will register as a "hard pull" and will negatively affect your score. "Hard pulls" differ from "soft pulls" that your current creditors perform, sometimes monthly, to monitor your credit situation to ensure you're using credit wisely. These practices have only been solidified since the recession, since may people were "piggybacking" on friends' and relatives' good credit to secure loans they would have otherwise been disqualified for. It's harder to secure credit now, and your use case is a perfect example of an outlier in the process. Btw, each inquiry remains on your credit for two years and continues to factor into your score, albiet less each month going forward.

Bottom line, TL;DR, if you don't get a car soon, the likelihood that you'll find an attractive loan dissipates the longer this process drags out.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:28 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
tell 'em to **** off, find another dealer
Old 06-11-2013, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 Coupe Edition 1
damn 7% isnt that high?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by fortytwo
Hey guys,

I just got the answer from WF.

I got denied for 60k.

Even though I'm "PMA", Premier whatever crap (basically I have 60k on that account), they want 2 credit cards (my only credit card is with them though) and a cosigner (I don't have any family here).

That's just bull****.
I got the same response from Bank of America when I applied for my first car loan. They would not give me a 35k car loan at 2.99%. Their response was that I have never held a car loan, despite the fact that my credit was stellar (800+). I went with the dealer financing route and got the loan from them at 5.75% and refinanced a year later after I was able to establish a car loan history.

It sounds like a load of BS, but that's apparently the way the banks operate.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Keep in mind another option, is to get MB dealer to reduce the down payment to 10%, which is a typical down payment anyways. Even at a higher interest rate. Make payments for 3 or 4 months, then go find a credit union or another bank offering decent rates and refinance.

This will do 2 things. First, your next loan will be much easier to come by, even though you only have a small payment history. You will also get a much better interest rate.

A side benefit, at least when it comes to the automated systems used by the credit scoring systems, is that you will have payed off a major installment loan in a short amount of time, this looks good on your credit report. Obviously you have opened a second loan, and when a person looks at it, they will know that you refinanced, but that won't hurt your record, since the score is typically generated automatically.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:49 PM

C63
Update: I applied at Penfed for 60k new auto loan.

Response within 24 hours apparently.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Good luck!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:41 PM

C63
UPDATE: On the phone with Wells Fargo. Looks like the "banker/teller" that did the application didnt enter the VIN number and any notes or background regarding the car.

Which is english for "that dude didnt ****in care at all".

I'm on hold right now, just dealt with someone asking me a lot more information (income, why this one, what job do I do etc). He's trying to get me approved for the 60k loan.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:43 PM

C63
Good luck!
Thanks man, I'm crossing my fingers.

I was in your city Sunday afternoon
Old 06-11-2013, 07:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by fortytwo
UPDATE: On the phone with Wells Fargo. Looks like the "banker/teller" that did the application didnt enter the VIN number and any notes or background regarding the car.

Which is english for "that dude didnt ****in care at all".

I'm on hold right now, just dealt with someone asking me a lot more information (income, why this one, what job do I do etc). He's trying to get me approved for the 60k loan.
if they do approve you, don't do anything until you hear back from penfed tomorrow. I remember wells fargo saying their rates START at 4.99 to like 18%. i'm almost sure that penfed will get you for 1.99% or less (I think they have some sort of deal going on right now for 0.74% on new cars).
Old 06-11-2013, 07:11 PM

C63
Okay so round 2. The woman from the other end still wants a cosigner and won't do anything.

The guy is trying to figure about a secured loan and gonna ask her about it. Once I get back to him, gonna try to see the maths.

I also told them I'd move all my money away (there's more than the loan amount on this one) to Penfed account if I can't get approved.

On hold again.

Last edited by fortytwo; 06-11-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Fr-English fix
Old 06-11-2013, 07:44 PM

C63
Update:

They won't move. The guy put more info and asked it to be reviewed again, really sounds like he trying whatever he can.

In the meantime, I got "turned down" by Penfed as well. There are no comments, I'm going to try to call to get some info.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:54 PM

c63
did you tell either that you were willing to partially secure the loan??
Old 06-11-2013, 07:59 PM

C63
Originally Posted by _timothy
did you tell either that you were willing to partially secure the loan??
I did. Wells Fargo wants a crazy high number (I believe 95% of the loan) which is not going to happen.

I just sent a full email to Penfed regarding my application regarding my income and everything on Earth I can mention.

I will hear back from Wells Fargo again on Thursday, the guy is really trying to push like crazy, took the time to learn what kind of person I am etc. It was really refreshing.

I offered to up their interest rate of 3.29% all the way to 5% also.

Last edited by fortytwo; 06-11-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 PM

c63
well, that is surprising. i would have thought 25-50% would have been sufficient based on your description of income and credit. securing your own loan is a very common credit building exercise.

try JPM. they ignore their risk models all the time LOL
Old 06-11-2013, 08:09 PM

C63
Originally Posted by _timothy
well, that is surprising. i would have thought 25-50% would have been sufficient based on your description of income and credit. securing your own loan is a very common credit building exercise.
Yeah, even the guy moved on with the secured loan "doesn't make any sense, so let's forget this".

I asked if it was because the first guy messed up the application, but he doesn't think so.

I think I exhausted every option possible. I'm gonna apply for another credit card and try again for a loan in 1 or 2 years.

My credit score just went down to 713 after the Wells Fargo offer. Ouch.

I'm so freaking defeated. But I don't want to accept any offer, it would put me in an irresponsible position with a huge hit in my savings.

Last edited by fortytwo; 06-11-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Pen fed will decline. .......

You need credit history. Your a " ghost" in the financial world with one year employment at current time.

The most important criteria is your a renter and not an owner of property. Vid you had a mortgage for a couple of years it would have been done. U need some roots in the ground man.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:17 PM

2012 C63, '07 Acura MDX
Save up your money and see if you can get the dealer to drop the price a little if you pay all cash.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:24 PM

C63
Originally Posted by biglee73
Save up your money and see if you can get the dealer to drop the price a little if you pay all cash.
Yeah, but it's not something I want to do unfortunately.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Bummer. Sorry to hear that. Definitely give them a call. It's not hard to reach a real person at PenFed.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:19 PM

C63
Bummer. Sorry to hear that. Definitely give them a call. It's not hard to reach a real person at PenFed.
Tried twice, they say their loan officers are too busy.

Got redirected to info@hq.penfed.org. Will see if I hear back from them.

Keep getting the same need a cosigner thingy, even though I have one with more income than me, he doesn't have enough credit history as well.

Weird to not be able to control your "own" life.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Hmm, I've never had that issue with reaching them. Is there no one willing to co-sign with a longer history?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Why don't you just buy another used cheap car and pay it off in a year then sell it. My first car was a used 325i and it was about 20k. I put 10k down paid it off. I got my C55 which was like 23k and a brand new e-class lease which was about 55k in the same month with like 2% on the new car and 6% on the used car. I also was only making 50-60k at the time with a lower credit score. I only have a 720 now. I don't think it really matters what you make, but rather the history.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:48 PM

C63
Hmm, I've never had that issue with reaching them. Is there no one willing to co-sign with a longer history?
Unfortunately no. Family is leaving overseas.

My friend is someone I worked with at previous company and we're actually roomies now. Only person that I "know" (well, that knows "me" in that case) willing to.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Experience at dealership for C63 AMG