2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
+1000 Great advice and it's genuine.
I agree as well.
Old 07-09-2013 | 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
I'm actually finishing neurosurgery residency in a few weeks and all I drive is a 2010 C63 AMG.

I'm thinking about changing careers though. I am looking towards Bollywood and I'm not even Indian....

Old 07-09-2013 | 02:56 PM

C63 P30 PP
bro.. your forgetting one thing.. having a gas guzzler may impact your social life..
im 21 and my c63 keeps me away from friends and girls at times. Do it only if your extremely passionate about cars and your willing to make sacrifices maybe not now, but later on
Old 07-09-2013 | 02:59 PM

C63, C55 (Sold)
I suggest you to do back-to-back test drive with either the M3/C63 combo or the S550/C63 combo. A car description on paper is not the same as driving it. As the others said, there are hidden extras when buying a high performance car. Keep in mind that if you want a 2008/09 C63 there is a risk that the engine will fail due to the famous headbolt issues. If you buy one of that batch, then get an extended warranty just-in-case. Tires and fuel are the other 2 hidden expenses you will need to address (I'm buying the second set on mine, and I only had 5k miles on the rears!). And, believe me, if you say that you'll drive like 3k miles per year, that number will increase with these cars, 'cause you are going to drive just for the fun of it... It's pretty addictive (for me at least).
Take care, good luck and drive safe!
Old 07-09-2013 | 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

360 Modena TT
don't do it , the car sucks
Old 07-09-2013 | 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Originally Posted by BAD430BENZ
don't do it , the car sucks
Watch your words. This is a C63 forum. We will punish heretics with words on keyboard. /trollface
Old 07-09-2013 | 05:52 PM

2010 C300, 2013 C63 AMG
Well although all of the advice I have gotten over the past couple hours has said to avoid it, I will wait until the test drives and then I'll see what I'll do from there.

@SuperLeggera - How does the gas guzzler affect your social life? Gas $$ is honestly the least of my concerns with getting it. The financial affects are the least of the affects that I'm worrying about. I'm worrying about how the car compares to others in different aspects (safety for a new driver, reliability, etc).
Old 07-09-2013 | 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Here's my .02:

This kid sounds very responsible and mature, heck his grammar is better than most guys in here I was a spoiled kid back in the day and my dad bought me some nice cars (I wish he still did ). My first car was a 350hp z28 and I had it from 17-19 until I wrapped it around two telephone poles while racing a corvette (true story). I street raced every night in the summers growing up and had plenty of the accidents with multiple cars in my early years. I was very lucky to walk away from those two telephone poles. Now granted, my car had no ESP or any of the electronic nannies of a c63, but the c63 is a dangerous car in the wrong hands!

So if he's a good boy and doesn't race and drive fast (yeah ok), then why buy such a car?? And if he wants to go fast and race and do stupid burnout *****, he will get hurt or go to jail. Hate saying it, but as you get older you can do dumb stuff like pushing your cars a little more because you have more experience and the brains to know when enough is enough. Kids don't have either, sorry.

The logic doesn't work IMO, stick with the c300 or an SUV of some kind. I have two of my own kids and I will never buy them high powered cars unless they are race cars for the track only. Too dangerous, I love my kids too much to see them hurt or killed. You dad loves you I'm sure, but maybe he needs to see a neurosurgeon if he's going to let you have this car as a teenager.

Last edited by black-clk500; 07-09-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2013 | 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
if you're only 16 yrs old and already enjoying such a nice MB, my 2 cents is that you invest your $12k and your dad's matching $12k and learn a long-lost art of "deferred gratification." depending on how well you invest, you can get the $24k to $50 to $100k over the next 10 yrs and believe me, there will be LOTS of more cars that you'll want by then.
i hope i'm not pouring cold water on your excitement, but just sharing my opinion on something that i found valuable when i was younger.
PL
+1!
Old 07-09-2013 | 07:32 PM

2010 C300, 2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by black-clk500
Here's my .02:

This kid sounds very responsible and mature, heck his grammar is better than most guys in here I was a spoiled kid back in the day and my dad bought me some nice cars. My first car was a 350hp z28 and I had it from 17-19 until I wrapped it around two telephone poles while racing a corvette (true story). I street raced every night in the summers growing up and had plenty of the accidents with multiple cars in my early years. I was very lucky to walk away from those two telephone poles. Now granted, my car had no ESP or any of the electronic nannies of a c63, but the c63 is a dangerous car in the wrong hands!

So if he's a good boy and doesn't race and drive fast (yeah ok), then why buy such a car?? And if he wants to go fast and race and do stupid burnout *****, he will get hurt or go to jail. Hate saying it, but as you get older you can do dumb stuff like pushing your cars a little more because you have more experience and the brains to know when enough is enough. Kids don't have either, sorry.

The logic doesn't work IMO, stick with the c300 or an SUV of some kind. I have two of my own kids and I will never buy them high powered cars unless they are race cars for the track only. Too dangerous, I love my kids too much to see them hurt or killed. You dad loves you I'm sure, but maybe he needs to see a neurosurgeon if he's going to let you have this car as a teenager.
Well I'll tell you the reason why I want it: So I go to a private boarding school, and most of the people here/my friends are all pretty rich. Some of my friends have brand new E-class AMGs and one of them even has a 360 Ferrari. I just want a better car that will help my car stand out compared to the other 100k cars I see in the parking. That being said, I also have always wanted an AMG. Also, I did at one point want to get a used ML63 or a Range Rover, but my dad said that he doesn't want me driving an SUV since they can flip and are worse to handle. And haha, he has seen a "neurosurgeon", as both of my parents are neurosurgeons, and my mom has tried convincing him to stop with the powerful cars, but it hasn't really worked.

And my dad told me this about 15 mins ago while I was talking to him - If I wait until I have another year of experience (next summer), he will help me buy me a 2012-13 C63, aka pay for everything aside of the ~15k I'll have then, (if I get into Duke or John Hopkins he'll get it loaded), just because he too is kind of worrying about the power on it.

I think I might go with that deal, because then it'll be new, and I'll have another year of experience. What do you guys think about that?
Old 07-09-2013 | 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by ilumunus
I know that, but M3's are manuals (a huge % of them I think), which would pose more of a threat to me than having a car with 50 more horses. I can't drive a manual, and would have a higher risk of a wreck in a manual than an auto (c63) I think.

<snip>
Quite to the contrary. Having a manual car where you constantly need to use both your brain (to evaluate the road conditions and engine revs in order to determine whether you need to change gears) and your right hand to shift gears instead of sipping on a latte or playing with the stereo, is indeed going to make you a better driver quicker simply because you won't have the luxury of driving on auto-pilot like 99% of the population in North America.

I am in no way implying that people that drive a stick are better drivers than people that drive automatics, only that driving a stick at a(n early) point in your life is going to accelerate your learning curve if you will.
Old 07-09-2013 | 08:07 PM

c63, '65 buick riviera, '65 impala, s63
When you go for the test drives whichever you like the most purchase it....m3 or c63 both great choices...s550 is also very nice but it's alot different than the c63 or m3.... You came here for advice on a c63 not to be talked out of the purchase.... I enjoy mine... Great car MB did well on big expenses as mentioned tires will wear and gas but you stated you won't drive much.... If it feels right buy it
Old 07-09-2013 | 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by OlegKouz
Pull the trigger and get the C63 - let's not get carried away with the "power" - if he is a responsible and mature kid (which he seems to be) and doesn't drive like an idiot he will be fine. I may be a bit biased though since I am only 23.

Get the C63 and enjoy in good health! My 2 cents at lest.
+1

It's not like this is the last $24k you'll get in your life. If you have $24k at 16, you will probably have 200k in 10 years from now, and I don't mean that as a return from investing the $24k you have now! You won't enjoy a C63 at 26 as much as you'll enjoy it at 16! Just be very careful with it! And I don't see why people are freaking out about a C63 being a dangerous car, I found it very easy to drive. Easier than my current 360hp go kart!

Last edited by tasho3; 07-09-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-10-2013 | 07:13 AM

E46 M3, '09 C63
Seems like a waste to upgrade. As good as the C63 is, I think having a C300 is too similar a car to the C63. As great as the C63 is...it is also aging and newer and more exciting cars are coming...I'd hold off if I were you.

Goodluck and post pics when you do finally get a car!
Old 07-10-2013 | 10:55 AM

2010 C300, 2013 C63 AMG
Patiently waiting till tomorrow when I get to drive the M3! First time I will ever be behind the wheel of a BMW! I've been behind the wheel of a bunch of my friend's cars, and all of my parent's/relatives cars, but never a BMW, I don't know why.

I will probably end up getting a C63, but let's see what happens. Will keep you guys updated!
Old 07-10-2013 | 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

10 C six trizzle
i say wait for the cla45. put down a nice down payment. It'll get much better gas mileage and can be equipped with distronic which is great if your going to be doing alot of driving. Have factory warranty, awd - since your still somewhat of a newer inexperienced driver, and still have plenty of pep and fun factory.
Old 07-11-2013 | 06:17 AM

c63
if you can maintain some savings, that would be prudent. don't spend all your $ even though your dad is matching you. if you can, wait a year for the new one to come out and go then. same great car, much less $, youll still be 17ish and youll have the opportunity to grow your money significantly.

having said that, i would do it at 16 too LOL
Old 07-11-2013 | 07:34 AM

2008 C63
I currently have an '08 C300 Sport Sedan with all the goodies that my dad gave me on my 16th birthday last year. It has around 25k miles on it, and after working over summer and from money I have accumulated over the years I have around 12k. My dad said if I want to trade in my C300 and buy an '08 or '09 C63, then he will match my 12k. I have found an '08 C63 (40k Miles) in Charlotte (3 hours away) with all the features I need, in the color that I want. It is around $40k, and between my C300 and the $24k I will be able to afford it.

I want the honest opinion from you guys - should I upgrade??

Thanks!

If you do opt for the c63, I just purchased an '08 at foreign cars Italia in Greensboro for $34k with about 70k miles. Even the lower mileage ones I looked at were 36-37k.
Old 07-11-2013 | 09:33 AM

'13 black C250 Coupe Sport+

Bottom line - If I'm going to be stupid and spend this money on a car, should I get a C63? Or should I save up some more and go bigger.
I would just lease a new one to be perfectly honest. I don't do used cars and the older ones had the problems with the motor.
Old 07-11-2013 | 03:17 PM

03 M5
I would be worried about the reliability of getting a C63 that is out of warranty or almost out. Besides the headbolt issue which can be a disaster, I would budget a few thousand a year for repairs. Since you already have a C-class I would go for something different to mix things up. Try different cars and then come back to the ones you love. I wouldn't worry about what others drive, it ultimately won't bring you happiness or girls...seriously. Having a nice car is a fun hobby, nothing more. Personally I would never buy my son a powerful car at a young age, every person I knew who had a fast car at a young age wrecked it but you could be different.
Old 07-11-2013 | 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To the OP - if image is what you're concerned with (and please correct me here if I misunderstood), I don't think that a used C63 is going to help your case in any way. For people that aren't into cars, a C63 is in no way going to be any different than a C300 of the same generation and they may even wonder why you haven't fixed your noisy muffler yet. For people that are into cars, they'll know it's an older model used car and what it's worth, so you really won't be impressing anyone.

Others here have brought up some very valid points about possible reliability and maintenance issues, and while I gather that this may not be a concern for you, if you are going to buy one you should buy it for the performance and the enjoyment it provides you, not for what others may or may not think.

Just my $0.02.
Old 07-12-2013 | 12:20 AM

C63
Honestly, I know I'm defending myself here since I'm a young driver, but in my opinion: Young drivers are just as good as any other driver unless they're drunk, st*ned, or driving aggressively/tailgating. I try to be a defensive driver, and my parents don't drink, and I plan on being like them. Also, I couldn't even imagine myself smoking w**d/texting while driving (my parents make me keep a crappy phone in the car while I'm driving and make me keep my iPhone at home to make sure it doesn't happen), or doing anything of the sort. But that said, the others do have some reasoning behind the fact that younger drivers do get in wrecks. I honestly try to not be like them, but being inexperienced, bad things could happen....
dude ...good for you but I'm not sure I can agree with you on the age thing.
By your logic you already know how to handle a 500hp car, you should be able to drift a corner at most speeds, know exactly how soon to break before a corner, etc.... what I'm saying is, yes, age matters very little but ... with age comes experience. Now some people have been racing cars since they were in their early teens but those are few and far between.

Bottom line, don't be to hasty, take things one step at a time and ENJOY the journey more than the destination.

Might want to consider the AMG racing school/BMW racing school. It helped my wife better understand our previous and current vehicles!
Old 07-12-2013 | 08:25 AM

2010 C300, 2013 C63 AMG
Test Drove the BMW M3 Last Night (2010, automatic) - It was FAST, but for whatever reason, it was still pretty easy to handle and maneuver. It was fast, but not brutal. It was a lot easier to drive than the Murcielago (I'd have my eye sitting on the speedometer the whole time) that I used to drive sometimes. Tomorrow I'll drive the C63 and get back to you.

Overall Impressions:

Felt pretty safe while I was in it.

The drive was really smooth, and the dual-clutch automatic was really really really nice.

It just kind of felt heavy, which is good, since it makes the acceleration a bit slower I guess, and gas is not a problem so it doesn't matter.

It grips really well.

The seats felt really really rough, but once I adjusted it to my liking, it became really really nice inside, and was pretty comfortable, especially with the features on it.

So yeah, I like this car A LOT, let's see how the C63 goes tomorrow.

EDIT: That being said, I still have a personal preference for Mercedes over BMW.

Last edited by ilumunus; 07-12-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-12-2013 | 11:25 AM

JBs C63 PP( wifes car ), Mc Laren Pxx(toy), 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 ( DD ), ML 6.3 ( winter DD )...
Test Drove the BMW M3 Last Night (2010, automatic) - It was FAST, but for whatever reason, it was still pretty easy to handle and maneuver. It was fast, but not brutal. It was a lot easier to drive than the Murcielago (I'd have my eye sitting on the speedometer the whole time) that I used to drive sometimes. Tomorrow I'll drive the C63 and get back to you.

Overall Impressions:

Felt pretty safe while I was in it.

The drive was really smooth, and the dual-clutch automatic was really really really nice.

It just kind of felt heavy, which is good, since it makes the acceleration a bit slower I guess, and gas is not a problem so it doesn't matter.

It grips really well.

The seats felt really really rough, but once I adjusted it to my liking, it became really really nice inside, and was pretty comfortable, especially with the features on it.

So yeah, I like this car A LOT, let's see how the C63 goes tomorrow.

EDIT: That being said, I still have a personal preference for Mercedes over BMW.
Well done!

With the way you handle various options, sorting them out and still leaving room for others oppinions (now regarding cars, later on much more important decisions), indicates very clear that you are an reliable young man, with the right mindset, your father can be very proud of you!

Even me as a stranger wants to pat you on your back and proudly say:

Well done, young man, good job! :-)
Old 07-12-2013 | 01:54 PM

03 M5
I would test drive more cars to see what you like. There are so many nice cars out there for 40-60k. Audi S5, S4, TT RS, CTSV, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrade to a C63?