C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

2014 C63 Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
2014 C63 Question

Hi everyone - I'm a new member and about to take delivery of my 2014 C63 coupe (ETA Aug 18) in Toronto. I'm being offered a bunch of Dealer aftermarket protections for paint; rubber/rims; extended warranty, etc..

So my question is are they all worth the additional $$. In particular, is the 7 year extended worth buying - and/or should I buy it later? Thanks in advance...
Old 08-02-2013, 04:02 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
It all depends on your personal tolerance for risk. The reason they offer it to you is because they make money on it, which means that most people will spend more on the 'protection' than they will claim against it - so for most, it's a losing proposition.
However, if you're stretched thin by the payments, etc, and wouldn't be able to repair the car, rims, paint, etc. if you needed to, then you might consider it. If you are interested in the coverage, much like everything else, the price negotiable. If you could easily manage the costs to fix stuff on your own, don't bother.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:35 PM

C63
Thanks L-100 - so i'm thinking since I bought the car that the 7 year extended might be worth the money since I'm sure something will happen to pay for itself in 7 years.

So I have more questions: is it transferable if I sell the 507? Can I upgrade to the extended later? or is my best time to strike an aggressive deal now? If so, what do you think they will take? 50% on the $$? Thanks in advance for the help!!
Old 08-02-2013, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
upgrade to extended later yes, typically as long as the factory hasnt ran out. transferable no. is it worth it? are you going to keep the car? id pass on paint and interior protection thats just a gimmick. door ding protection is good if you dont like walking far in parking lots. wheel and tire - the tire is somewhat pointless but good if you get a nail in the sidewall, wheel is great if you live somewhere with crappy roads, because pot holes will bend wheels easily with low profile tires.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:34 AM

C63, 335i
Upgrade the extended warranty later on when your original factory warranty is about to run out. That way you can decide whether at that point you still want the car or move on to something new. A majority of the people who buy warranties will not be able to use anywhere close to what they are worth in repairs so I would say pass on anything the finance department tries to sell you in terms of protection and extended warranties.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
AFAIK you can extend the factory 4 year warranty for a maximum of two more years (with the second year being drivetrain only), not three. You can add the extra one or two years at any time while the original 4 year warranty is valid, but if you do it after the first year, there is a vehicle inspection surcharge that you'll also have to pay. The extra fifth year (full warranty) is about $1500 CAD, the sixth (partial coverage only) is some $3000 CAD on top of that. I guess the statistics show that things start to fail after year 5.

If by paint protection you mean the 3M clear film on the front of the car, I am partial to getting it because it does wonders for protecting the car from stone chips (if you decide to go that route, also ask to have the headlights done as well), but that's just me. Aside from that, the paint is part of the vehicle, so if your hood fades or starts to peel after a couple of years that is a warranty issue.

Enjoy the car!

Last edited by Diabolis; 08-03-2013 at 01:56 PM.