Front Bumper Repair Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 04:47 AM

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
C63 AMG
Front Bumper Repair Advice

Hi all,
I'm looking for advice on repairing a crack probably about 2 inches long in the front bumper.
It's on the top of the center section, below the mesh air intake on a pre-facelift model.
I've grabbed a pic of Dome's sexy beast and pointed to where the damage is. Thanks Dome, great pic! Saved me the trouble of going out in the rain to grab one myself.

Anyway, I've heard of (never had any experience with) plastic welding. Is it decent? Anyone specifically know of a place in Houston, that can do this kind of work? (khmergod, if you don't mind me calling you out, I think you had some work done recently...where'd you go? are you satisfied with the result?)

Between that and the scratches that build up under the edges, is it better to just get a new bumper? What do y'all do when you (or the soon to be ex-S.O.) hits something that wasn't supposed to be hit?

And switching gears a bit, from pics, I think I like the Renntech spoiler, but I haven't seen it on a car in person, anyone have any comments on it?
http://www.renntechmercedes.com/www/node/405

Thanks,
B
Attached Thumbnails Front Bumper Repair Advice-c63amg10oyzqa.jpg  

Last edited by BHimself; 08-15-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CTT-S
i've had mine repaired (welded, etc).. let khmergod respond first.. if that doesn't pan out, i can refer you to the shop that repaired my bumper
Old 08-15-2013, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Do it yourself some bondo, a little sanding, some painting, if you don't like how it comes out, get a new bumper

That was half a joke. My bumper is pretty wrecked from DC driving. The underside of the front lip is demolished. Same goes for the driverside lower skirt. I am going to fix them up, see how well I Can do it myself, and if it turns out ****ty, get replacement items and go to a body shop

Problem is finding the time since I travel 5 days out of the week.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Metropolitan Collision in Houston. They are the best repair shop I've ever been to. They have fair estimates. Their paint matching/blending is second to none. They did great work.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:26 PM

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
C63 AMG
Thanks all for the fast & helpful replies, I do appreciate it.
Glad to hear that at least these things can be repaired.
She's my daily so I've already resigned to having a few issues that I just learn to deal with, but a crack like this is too much for me...

jvanbrecht- funny...if my painting/bondo skills weren't second to everyone I might actually try this, but I'm still in the stick man drawing stage, and I think a blind epileptic could do a better job than I can...But yea, I have no idea how people run lowered and skirts on some of these roads and have a front end, just yikes...

Khmergod, thanks for them, I've chatted with them before but it took some energy to get quotes from them so I've never given them any work. I appreciate the vote of confidence though.

Of course, the modding bug is lurking, I've been wondering if there's an aftermarket bumper that might just be better, but luckily I haven't seen one I'm lusting after yet...
Thanks again!