507 Series: Weistec Oil Seperator & Air Filter install/impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Originally Posted by WESLEY KAY
Negative....lol. Not me. I am on 28 all the time though, between 66 and Dulles Toll Road. I am just waiting on getting pulled over for tints though. Not to hijack the thread, but are you in the same area? Feel free to PM. Wes
kinda off topic, but this..EVERY day i see **** box cars with 5% tint, but the second i put 35% on my car i have cops all on my ***, like **** off, why do people who drive crap get to keep it but i can't have mine? stupid *** cops, cop always says "i just dont see them" ...as like 10 drive by as he has me pulled over, what a load of ****
Old 12-30-2013, 02:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
Originally Posted by avery.whss
kinda off topic, but this..EVERY day i see **** box cars with 5% tint, but the second i put 35% on my car i have cops all on my ***, like **** off, why do people who drive crap get to keep it but i can't have mine? stupid *** cops, cop always says "i just dont see them" ...as like 10 drive by as he has me pulled over, what a load of ****
Because it's a Mercedes-Benz. Cops see a higher-end car and they are drawn to it. Actually, that would be true of all humans in general.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by Bardman
What I don't really get (call me naive perhaps) is that if the catch can does this, has no negative effects, and doesn't cost much to manufacture, why don't car manufacturers fit them as standard?
Because technically, catching oil/fuel etc breaks emissions laws. The PCV system is designed to throw all that crap back into the intake to be burned off, not collected and dumped.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by rage2
Because technically, catching oil/fuel etc breaks emissions laws. The PCV system is designed to throw all that crap back into the intake to be burned off, not collected and dumped.

On one of my old cars, once I started moding the car, the first thing to faill and need to be upgraded was the PCV. it was made of plastic with a rubber plunger thingy inside that couldn't handle the pressure change.

is that the case here? do these things fail and need to be upgraded too?
Old 12-31-2013, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
I empty my catch can every 5K kms and get about 100-250ml of crap! If any of you saw this thing empty one time you wouldn't even think twice about wanting one for your car. It doesnt void warranty and the Benz dealer even offered to install it for me but I went elsewhere just based on price.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by autockr989
is that the case here? do these things fail and need to be upgraded too?
Catch cans don't really fail, there are no moving parts.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:03 PM

2013 P31 C63, 2014 Bluetec ML, 2004 GT3
how many billable hours is a typical install?
Old 01-01-2014, 06:10 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Has anyone noticed if the occasional smoke when you start the car goes away with the catch-can?
Old 01-02-2014, 07:29 AM

2015 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by rage2
Catch cans don't really fail, there are no moving parts.

Sorry I meant if adding the catch can, will make the PCV fail, that was what I had issues with in the past on other cars.

When I added a tune to an old car, the cheap OEM PCV couldn't handle the pressure and the seals blew.

Just want to understand if adding one thing leads to another piece needing to be replaced.

If no PCV issues, the will be my first mod when car arrives next month.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Ive been running mine for 35K kms in summer and winter with no issues what so ever. Install took about an hour.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:42 AM

Mercedes-Benz F-Cell Roadster
Originally Posted by im3cpo
I picked up a slate grey 507 a couple weeks ago and have ~400 miles on it thus far. I know there is some controversy with regard to oil catch cans (effectiveness, worth the cost, possible warranty issues, etc.) but past experience with other high performance vehicles made me feel installing the Weistec oil separator was worth the risk and while I was at it, I might as well replace the air filters and remove the charcoal filters. Now that I am done with the install, I figured I would share some thoughts and insights on the whole project.

First off, the Weistec oil separator is by far the highest quality one I have ever seen. I obviously have to get some miles with it installed to see how effective it is, but overall the build quality is excellent. The mounting bracket is by far the weakest link in the design. I would have liked to see something that would bolt directly to a metal piece of the car rather than rely on a primitive "hanger" (for lack of a better word) that goes over firewall or front bumper area molding. I noticed a ground wire bolt near the passenger side wheel well that looks to be a possible area to build a bracket/extension arm for the oil separator. I will most likely pursue this idea a little further and see what I can come up with.

Another down side of the Weistec oil separator are the instructions. Man! What a piece of crap! I understand this product is intended to be used on a number of different cars, but the removal of the engine cover, air boxes, MAF sensors, and the black plastic Y to the throttle body are horribly under documented. I was able to figure everything out on my own, but I wasted a considerable amount of time trying to reverse engineer how to remove this stuff. Once I got past this hurdle, the instructions were decent.

The last concern I have of the oil separator relates to the mounting again. There is no way to mount the oil separator on the firewall (as shown in the instructions). I ended up mounting it behind the passenger side headlight. This in and of itself is no big deal; the concern I have is that this entire structural area of the car is made of plastic rather than metal and I really have no idea if the plastic will be able to hold up over time. The mounting mechanism will also easily scratch the plastic up. I added some rubber to alleviate this as well as placing a rubber "bumper" to the lower part of the can to stop it from hitting other plastic pieces further down the engine compartment.

Installation of the air filters was straight forward, but it took me a little bit to figure out how to remove the charcoal filters (the plastic piece holding the filter does not come out; only the filter and surrounding cardboard are removed).

Once all this was complete, I fired up the engine.. Everything checked out fine! No CEL, no leaks, etc. I noticed immediately that the car idled MUCH better! Not sure which component is responsible for that, but again, it was very noticeable.. I took the car out for a quick drive and it honestly seemed to run much better! Even the shifting is improved! Previously, the car seemed to get confused as to what gear it should be in; its substantially better now! I suppose the computer could be re-learning due to the changes, but again, the overall benefits in drivability were noticeable.

I will post some pictures of the engine compartment if anyone is interested (so please let me know). Also, I would like people's opinion as to whether the plastic area behind the head light where I mounted the separator will be able to hold up over time.

Overall I would recommend doing the oil separator, charcoal filter removal, and air filter replacement.. The benefits I have seen so far are well worth it!
Thanks for providing this information over here. It is really a good sharing and one can get a definite solution from this sharing. I like it.