C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Damaged Wheel Bearing?

Old 08-23-2013, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Damaged Wheel Bearing?

Last month I was stopped when another car struck me right on the driver's side front wheel causing body damage and a bent strut. I had the car repaired at a body shop which was recommended by the local MErcedes dealership (literally across the street from each other). It took them about 1 month to replace body panels, paint and fix the strut. Unfortunately in the accident my Forgestar wheel was damaged and needs to be replaced -well you can understand the ridiculous lead time I am looking at. Due to the long wait for the wheel I gave the body shop my winter wheels and they went ahead to finish the car with those mounted. When I got the car back I drove it home at 50km/h since that was the only speed limit from the shop to my place. It took me about a week before I drove the car on the highway where I noticed a loud hum and vibration on the wheel that was hit. At first I thought they may have messed up the tires with different tread wear but as I drove more I realized it was probably something different.

Because I hear loud grinding/crunching under bumps I thought they forgot to put the spring pad back in when they replaced the strut but now after talking to a friend (mbworld member) we are suspecting it is the wheel bearing. The hum/vibration is much louder at all speeds above 30km/h and gets very annoying above 100km/h. I am having the car in for service B0 on Monday and will have them inspect everything.

Has anyone replaced a wheel bearing? How much does it cost? I am obviously going to have insurance pay for the repair but Im just curious if you guys think it might be something else? Thanks!

ps. Here are pictures (awful cell phone ones -I know) after the accident. No Front plate holes or orange side markers!!!
Damaged Wheel Bearing?-uagdojn.jpg
Damaged Wheel Bearing?-g9v7zqw.jpg

Last edited by VaclavSV; 08-23-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Looking like new Sajun!

How did u managed to make them shave ur sidemarkers? Insurance work would never approve that. Lol

Hope u get ur wheels back soon & ur noise issue fixed.

P.S I'm not feeling the zip tied plate. I prefer to have it mounted correctly in the middle of the bumper.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife bananas! :D
looks good sajun!

Meng, its a euro spec bumper thats why no side markers
Old 08-23-2013, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
ValclavSV, this is still repairable in the insurance claim, call you adjuster or insurance company and explain the issue. Could be a bent spindle also, but the bearing will also be covered. Surely get a 4 wheel alignment thrown in after any work is done.

As a side note, IN Ontario the zip tie license plate is good to get you pulled over, a ticket issued for a non secure mounting of the plate and if the cop is in a bad mood well ??? the last thing anyone needs is to draw attention to their car because at the least opportune time, say coming home from a small gathering, bam, you have some explaining to do, license, insurance, ownership,
Careful my friend.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Thanks for the input guys! I know about the plate! Im doing what RSQUAD did with his plate so Im just buying time to have it done.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
I just replace my front wheel bearings. $210 each + 4 hr of labor @$85/hr.