Based on my situation - C63 or Audi S4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 Camry

Hey guys,

My first time posting but I have researched this site extensively when I was helping my Dad buy an ML350 in July. I'm now ready to purchase a car for myself and was hoping I could get some insight on the best course of action for my situation.

For the past 7 years I lived in NYC and didnt need a car much, so I kept a Toyota Camry and it served me fine. I now moved into the Boston area and drive to work about 50 miles each day to work. I have always wanted a fun performance car and am finally in a situation where I can justify it.

Anyways I was hoping to spend under 60k on a car considering this will be my first luxury car. I test drove an Audi S4 and liked it quite a bit and felt it would fit my needs and be good in New England winters with snow tires. I could get a well optioned S4 for about 57k.

My question is this - Ive seen some getting crazy discounts on C63's and was wondering if it would be worth it to step up the extra $$ to get a c63? What type of % off MSRP could I expect to get off a 2013 remaining stock or 2014? Should I just drop the idea alltogether because of the c63 RWD?

Any input would be appreciated!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
If you are using it as a daily in snow and rain, not to mention you have a decent drive each day to work, the C63 is going to be a major pain on gas.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
^ What he said. That's about 6 gallons min roundtrip. I wonder if there might be too much torque to drive in the snow?
Old 09-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
I've had my C63 for 3-4 months now...it chugs gas but who cares ..smiles per miles ...it doesn't "drink it" it basically gas bongs all gas you'll feed it..and tires...I roasted mine off in like 5,000KM ..but then again I kinda beat on my C63. C63 you'll never ever get tired of the exhaust note..you'll find yourself wanting more actually. My tires are pretty bald right now until I get my new ones in a few weeks and honestly I swear the car is just gliding on the road..no traction what so ever even with ESP completely on but my current tires all have probably <20% tread so that's why.

But after all that being said.

Buy it..you won't regret it and you'll burst out laughing every time you put it in M mode with ESP off and floor it.

Last edited by avery.whss; 09-05-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
A C63 is no good for your needs. I would consider the S4 or a 335xi M-sport. Fuel economy aside, the C63 will give you major issues in Boston winters, even with snows.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
If you can raise your budget, an Audi RS5 would be perfect for your needs. It will be more visceral and exciting than an Audi S4, but will have better daily usability compared to a C63.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:33 PM

C63 amg
I live in Boston and my C63 just stays stored in the winter. It's horrible to drive with the winters we have here.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:42 PM

C63, 335i
In your case, I would get the S4. You get AWD for winter and respectable MPG if you don't abuse the car. Plus, it's supercharged so you can easily up the power with a tune and pulley upgrade.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Obsidian Black 2009 C63 w/ P30 Package
S4 for the awd aspect for weather up there
Old 09-05-2013, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG 507 Edition
I would go for a late model B7 RS4 (my old car) much better than the S4 and the RS5, and an exhaust note as nice as (or even better than :O ) the C63. Get one in white, they look hot!
Old 09-05-2013, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
507 SEDAN
Originally Posted by nepats81
Hey guys,......
I have always wanted a fun performance car and am finally in a situation where I can justify it.......Any input would be appreciated!
First off, have you driven either car? I would start with taking some test drives in both cars. You will get a good feel for each. I have driven the S4 and it was okay. I thought the power was just not there and it seems you want performance. However that being said, it was after I had already owned 2 C63's. It was just hum-drum and didn't match up to my C63. I instantly came back to the C63. The S4 just seemed to docile for the money.

I used to live in Worcester and drove a heavy, rear wheel drive Ford F250. Kind of the same (don't flame me guys) issue. A heavy, gas eating, rear wheel drive. I did fine. Drove smooth and easy. I took it easy in the snow and was patient. It had low end torque and I was light on the pedal.

Just based on your quote above, the C63 is the answer to your statement. You have always wanted a fun, performance car. That is the C63. You will love driving every time you get behind the wheel.

Ultimately, drive both and it will be your decision. You definitely need to drive both. If you really worry about money, the C63 is a little heavy on gas, but it doesn't really bother me. Good luck and I'm sure you will really appreciate the C63 for it's power and your adrenaline.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:20 PM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
I had the same choice and am in the northeast.

S4 = a good performance compromise if you want to compromise. Even this has more acceleration than you "need".

C63 = visceral dream, usable low end torque and an incredible audible orchestra. Confident acceleration on the highway. This is my daily driver 80 miles a day and it makes me smile to and from work everyday for over a year now. This is not bought for the mileage, but I get over 20 mpg if there is no traffic. Mileage appears to be best at near 75 mph btw.

You MUST get dedicated snows to complement summer performance tires. Again, this is no compromise. If you want a compromise, get all seasons and the S4. It's not a put down, but a choice.

Oh... And his forum is solid.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C63
Weight in the trunk (I use water softener salt) and a dedicated snow tire will get you through the snow with little problem.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:29 AM

Huracan STO
Honestly I was in the same situation. If it is absolutely going to be your only car I would go with the S4. Its a GREAT car and very classy. The AWD will be a world of a difference in the winter. I drove both cars, both amazing but I have had my heart set on a c63 since they were first made back in 08. However I only commute 3 miles to work and 3 miles home and I plan on getting a beater for the winter
Old 09-06-2013, 01:23 PM

2011 Range Rover Sport SC
Originally Posted by Dogtag114
I had the same choice and am in the northeast.

S4 = a good performance compromise if you want to compromise. Even this has more acceleration than you "need".

C63 = visceral dream, usable low end torque and an incredible audible orchestra. Confident acceleration on the highway. This is my daily driver 80 miles a day and it makes me smile to and from work everyday for over a year now. This is not bought for the mileage, but I get over 20 mpg if there is no traffic. Mileage appears to be best at near 75 mph btw.

You MUST get dedicated snows to complement summer performance tires. Again, this is no compromise. If you want a compromise, get all seasons and the S4. It's not a put down, but a choice.

Oh... And his forum is solid.
I would agree with this. The S5 is a decent enough car, but it doesn't really light a fire like the C63 does. It has two advantages over the C63, in that the interior is nicer, and that you can get the S5 with a proper 3-pedal manual 'box.

Otherwise, I'll take the C63 as a daily driver over the S5 / S4 or even the B7 RS4. The Audis just seem to take themselves too seriously....the C63 is a hooligan, and it knows it. Though admittedly, it may encourage you to drive in a manner consistent with it's hooligan nature.

Originally Posted by tomespo
Honestly I was in the same situation. If it is absolutely going to be your only car I would go with the S4. Its a GREAT car and very classy. The AWD will be a world of a difference in the winter. I drove both cars, both amazing but I have had my heart set on a c63 since they were first made back in 08. However I only commute 3 miles to work and 3 miles home and I plan on getting a beater for the winter
I drive my C63 year-round, though I do have my RRS for the winters, as well as the wife's X6. With proper winter tires, it's not an issue at all. The resale value on the C63 sucks anyway, so you're not saving anything by parking it and not driving it.

Another option might be to consider a used 911. A used C4S can probably be had for your $60K budget, and it's a whole different level of car vs the Audi or MB. Not as much trunk space, but it's a different type of car altogether. You could even go a couple extra years back into the 996, and find a used 996 Turbo for well under your budget. Quicker around a road course than either the Audi or MB, far better fuel economy (in case that matters at all), and a whole different level of prestige.

Now, it won't sound nearly as good as the C63, nor will it have the instant and very linear throttle response of the C63. But driving a Porsche is unlike driving anything else (BMW M3's used to be similar....)

Just another option to confuse the issue further....

Patrick
Old 09-06-2013, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I'm also with the folks advocating AWD. My sister lives in Boston and I've visited in the winter...if that's really going to be your DD, definitely AWD. If you lived anywhere else that had occasional snow, you might get away with the C63, but the amount that Boston gets dumped...Audi is a safe bet.

They freaking give tickets for people who don't stay off the roads when they're warned!
Old 09-06-2013, 01:52 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
I live in, if I am not mistaken, the coldest capital city in the world, Ottawa, Canada (or is it Moscow, anyways one of us!). I have a C63 2011 and the car in our winters was so awful that when my next car comes in a week or two...it is a 2014 C63 507! I am not an advocate of AWD. Other than traction out of the hole it is quite useless when you have lost traction. The C63 like almost every other automaker has yaw control, stability control, traction control etc... which, to me, is most important when you lose traction when cornering.

The only issue I had was not traction ( I had Blizzaks). it is getting beached when we get 10-12 inches of snow all at once, got beached twice last year. Or else it is a capable car to drive in the winter if you are not a complete moron.

I love the A7. I love how it looks and went and drove the S7. A real nice car but it just doesn't connect with my emotions the way the C63 does. You truly have to drive it to appreciate it. 2 years now, I could not contemplate bringing it back at the end of my lease and getting a TT motor, which I don't care what anyone says, pales in a major way to the 6.2 aurally. So I signed up for another one for 4 years.

I drove the S4 as well and actually liked it better than the S7. The V6 is probably the best sounding out there, I just needed more oomph. There are no losers here in this segment, but one test drive and you will be sold.

Last edited by coladin; 09-06-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:24 PM

2012 c63 sedan
I'd just get the new S6 and be done with it.. Only if there was avant...
Old 09-06-2013, 06:52 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by coladin
I live in, if I am not mistaken, the coldest capital city in the world, Ottawa, Canada (or is it Moscow, anyways one of us!). I have a C63 2011 and the car in our winters was so awful that when my next car comes in a week or two...it is a 2014 C63 507! I am not an advocate of AWD. Other than traction out of the hole it is quite useless when you have lost traction. The C63 like almost every other automaker has yaw control, stability control, traction control etc... which, to me, is most important when you lose traction when cornering.

The only issue I had was not traction ( I had Blizzaks). it is getting beached when we get 10-12 inches of snow all at once, got beached twice last year. Or else it is a capable car to drive in the winter if you are not a complete moron.

I love the A7. I love how it looks and went and drove the S7. A real nice car but it just doesn't connect with my emotions the way the C63 does. You truly have to drive it to appreciate it. 2 years now, I could not contemplate bringing it back at the end of my lease and getting a TT motor, which I don't care what anyone says, pales in a major way to the 6.2 aurally. So I signed up for another one for 4 years.

I drove the S4 as well and actually liked it better than the S7. The V6 is probably the best sounding out there, I just needed more oomph. There are no losers here in this segment, but one test drive and you will be sold.
Hey Hey now... Come visit us in Alberta, I'll take your cold city and raise you another -10C hahah. I agree with your statements, as 2 of my friends drive with winter tires in their c63's. I on the other hand have a 4wd tacoma truck and wouldnt go without it Good tires + not driving through 15" of snow (probably similar conditions in boston) and the c63 can handle it no problem.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:14 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by kartelli
Hey Hey now... Come visit us in Alberta, I'll take your cold city and raise you another -10C hahah. I agree with your statements, as 2 of my friends drive with winter tires in their c63's. I on the other hand have a 4wd tacoma truck and wouldnt go without it Good tires + not driving through 15" of snow (probably similar conditions in boston) and the c63 can handle it no problem.

Hey, I'm talking "capital city" not the crazy winters you guys have! I need new winters , maybe Pilot Alpin or something because the good stuff is off the Blizzaks.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:39 PM

2013 P31 C63, 2014 Bluetec ML, 2004 GT3
I took delivery of mine last November...with snow tires last winter was a non issue. Car is great in the snow.

As a reference point, my brother in law has a stasis s4 and I just drove it last weekend. It sounds like a blender, has no torque, and generally underwhelms. The interior is not nearly as nice either.

The c63 is in a different class of cars, as it should be considering the price delta.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:02 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by late_bloomer
I'd just get the new S6 and be done with it.. Only if there was avant...
I drove the S6 too and it is a beautiful, beautiful car. If you are used to an AMG, especially the NA engine, it may not hit the same emotional buttons. The engine sounds awful and it can be fast as it is but without the AMG soundtrack it is just another nice car.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:23 PM

\
go with the c63, put some weight in the trunk and good snow's for the winter, if you are really concerned about winters test drive a rs5 and see how you like it, just my 2 cents
Old 09-06-2013, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
i have to chuckle when I see ppl saying AWD for boston winters.. I wonder what people up here in Canada should get?

I used to commute over 1hr each way. for a while I drove my wifes GLK... 2.5 round trips per tank. drove a C320 4matic... 3 trips per tank... drove my C63... 2.5 trips per tank. If you want to drive aggressive you will eat gas... if you want to be conservative and fuel efficient I have hit 9.8L / 100kms on my c63 in that commute just to say I have done it. It really isnt that hard to do. The S4 is a nice car... but it is not C63 for the power and torque and the hand built engine you get. TBH the RS4 is what lines up with the c63 not the S4

I think you guys underestimate how well our cars handle the snow and over exaggerate how badly our cars eat gas.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:01 PM

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
MY19AMG GT-C; MY14C63-507 - former Audi B6 S4

For me, I'm coming from a B6S4 in the NYC area with slight modifications: Unitronic Tune, Stage 2 DXD Racing Clutch/Light weight Flywheel, brake mods. In the winter, with Dunlop Winter Sports, the car is incredible! The huge blizzard we had in 2010, we got 36 inches in my neighborhood. After the plows came through, we unburied the car and were driving around without issues. Granted, I would not go down completely unplowed streets but I was able to get through 8"-10" of snow without a problem (poor undertray!) However, even after the tune, I felt the car could use an additional 100-150 HP for straight up straight-line speed.

Rented an E63 from the Hertz in FLL and felt a bit underwhelmed by the feel of the car during a Race Start. But then glanced at the speedo and was a bit confused as to how we could be allegedly going so fast. So, I did it a few more times just to make sure I wasn't crazy and my goodness the car gets up and just goes! The stock power MB has over Audi is quite significant. Granted, a tuned RS6 is another story but who knows if that will ever make it to the US!

It will be interesting going from Quattro to RWD in the winter. With proper throttle input and adjustment, I'm guessing you won't have a problem. As many have stated here, IF you get the proper tire everything ought to be fine. I saw video on youtube of someone with a C63 in the 2010 blizzard driving around in NJ. He had the Dunlops, the LSD and ESP off; he didn't have any issues pulling away from lights and had a bit of fun in unplowed parking lots. LOL

As the saying goes, 4-wheel-drive is only good for getting out of the box....you don't have 4-wheel-stop. We've all seen it before with people in SUVs going 70mph in the snow, need to brake to avoid something and the local towing agency and body shop have a new client! Get the C63 and see how you like it. From what I've seen on these forums, the C63 ought to be measured in Smiles per Mile.

Good luck

-C

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Based on my situation - C63 or Audi S4