Sponsored by:

People with Tail Light Issues!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220CDI 2009
Here are the photo's of my rear tail lights now not working

People with Tail Light Issues!-tail-lights.pngPeople with Tail Light Issues!-tail-lights1.png
Old 12-07-2013, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
MB drags their *** sometimes with recalls, the 1998 ML just barely received a recall for it's faulty brake light switch issue around a year ago. I think these issues are pretty common with German cars. I have to imagine it's the vendors bad design because the 170 body SLK had recalls on their lights for failure as well and also my E46 BMW had the same exact issue the sad part is i replaced the whole circuit board board and about a year later it happened again. The next time the parts guy was nice enough to tell me I needed the repair kit. The parts for this repair are really cheap. It's only a socket and a few electrical pins if you catch it early probably under $20 for a DIY.

Last edited by JonMBZ; 12-07-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
10 C six trizzle
it is a cheap repair cost wise. Be sure to add in a bigger ground wire and put it directly to the chassis rather than back to the original ground wire that melted. make sure you have a nice crimper too. Im pretty sure this is a big reason they went to the led style taillamps on the face lift. I havent seen any of those fail.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Submit a complaint to NHTSA as well. MB has to respond to that (not to you but to NHTSA themselves), the more complaints about the same problem, the more likely MB will do a proper voluntary recall, and if they don't, after sufficient complaints they will be forced to do a recall.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:59 AM

C220CDI 2009
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
Submit a complaint to NHTSA as well. MB has to respond to that (not to you but to NHTSA themselves), the more complaints about the same problem, the more likely MB will do a proper voluntary recall, and if they don't, after sufficient complaints they will be forced to do a recall.
I don't think we'll have much hope of a recall at this time, surely it would have happen by now.

I'll be ringing MB customer service tomorrow, I'll also email and ask them why they haven't had a recall on this problem, as I have said, this is the second time I've had to replace them.

Been wanting a Benz for years, now that I've got one I don't know why I bothered, should of stuck with my Hyundai less money less trouble.

This year I had to replace

Cruise control
Water pump
Thermostat housing
Charge air hose
All three Engine mounts
And now have the tail lights fixed once again.

I have been lucky had most of it done under MB goodwill policy
Old 12-08-2013, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
The sad part is they are ignoring a major safety issue. I bet a massive lawsuit due to an accident resulting from faulty brake lights would open their eyes. When I had the issue and they tried to charge me for the repair- that's what I told the Service Manager. The repair was done at no charge.

Last edited by AkaSigFreak; 12-08-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NHTSA has forced manufacturers to do a recall on cars that were 10+ years old, if there are enough complaints, it will force an investigation, regardless of age.

Originally Posted by silkynitro
I don't think we'll have much hope of a recall at this time, surely it would have happen by now.

I'll be ringing MB customer service tomorrow, I'll also email and ask them why they haven't had a recall on this problem, as I have said, this is the second time I've had to replace them.

Been wanting a Benz for years, now that I've got one I don't know why I bothered, should of stuck with my Hyundai less money less trouble.

This year I had to replace

Cruise control
Water pump
Thermostat housing
Charge air hose
All three Engine mounts
And now have the tail lights fixed once again.

I have been lucky had most of it done under MB goodwill policy
Old 12-08-2013, 04:53 PM

C220CDI 2009
NHTSA has forced manufacturers to do a recall on cars that were 10+ years old, if there are enough complaints, it will force an investigation, regardless of age.
I didn't know that, you can rest assure i'll be taking this further, I'm like a dog with a bone.

Gee Whiz, Doesn't say much about the engineers that designed the Globe carrier & the wire harness.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:58 PM

C220CDI 2009
Been to the MB dealer this morning and guess what, I'm the only one that's having this trouble apparently, so I "politely" told them I don't believe that.

Anyway, long story short, after about hour hanging around they said there's been and upgrade to the harness so with a little luck the parts will be here tomorrow and fitted.

Doing both sides and they mentioned the car is out of warranty, again I "politely" told them I don't care it's a manufactures problem I won't be paying for it, and quite happy to take it further.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's a load of crap, there are plenty of known issues.

http://www.allworldauto.com/inv/NHTS...ion_98047.html
Old 12-09-2013, 01:03 AM

C220CDI 2009
It's a load of crap, there are plenty of known issues.

http://www.allworldauto.com/inv/NHTS...ion_98047.html
Thanks for the link, I'll print it out and show them tomorrow.

I'm assuming the C300 has the same tail lights & harness configuration as my C220CDI 2009 W204 .

Can you send me the link where I complain to NHTSA even though I live in Australia.

Last edited by silkynitro; 12-09-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Living in Australia, you might not be able to submit a complaint. But you can start here if you want to try..
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 12-09-2013, 03:00 AM

C220CDI 2009
Living in Australia, you might not be able to submit a complaint. But you can start here if you want to try..
No, sorry,can't help It won't accept my Vin No
Old 12-09-2013, 11:14 PM

C220CDI 2009
Just a query, this link said there's been 21 reports on this problem, it doesn't seem many compared with all the vehicle that are sold.

I would have thought there would have been many more complaints.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:00 AM

C220CDI 2009
MB local dealer been in contact with me today letting me know the parts have arrived hopefully tomorrow I'll can it fixed.

I also had it confirmed that there will be no cost to me.

So lets hope i'll have no more problems, I'm not holding my breath though.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by silkynitro
Just a query, this link said there's been 21 reports on this problem, it doesn't seem many compared with all the vehicle that are sold.

I would have thought there would have been many more complaints.
It is because most people do not submit a complaint. There is generally no need to from a customer perspective if the folks who were affected had them fixed under warranty, they just went on their way.

Those 21 complaints are most likely from folks who had to have the lights replaced out of warranty at a significant cost to themselves.

For each complaint, MB has to respond (a complaint does not automatically mean NHTSA will investigate further though). after a few complaints, in this case, 21, NHTSA will open an investigation, and depending on the outcome, may ask MB to do a voluntary recall. They could also force a recall, since the tail light issue can also be considered a fire hazard.

However, NHTSA being a federal entity, they tend to take ages are and slow, so it might be a while.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:27 PM

C220CDI 2009
It is because most people do not submit a complaint. There is generally no need to from a customer perspective if the folks who were affected had them fixed under warranty, they just went on their way.

Those 21 complaints are most likely from folks who had to have the lights replaced out of warranty at a significant cost to themselves.

For each complaint, MB has to respond (a complaint does not automatically mean NHTSA will investigate further though). after a few complaints, in this case, 21, NHTSA will open an investigation, and depending on the outcome, may ask MB to do a voluntary recall. They could also force a recall, since the tail light issue can also be considered a fire hazard.

However, NHTSA being a federal entity, they tend to take ages are and slow, so it might be a while.
Yes I can see where you are coming from, one would've thought though, that every one that had to be replaced under warranty MB would surely have to know about this problem. I'm absolutely disgusted that MB have not had a recall.

I can certainly see a lot wouldn't or can't be bothered to complain sad really, because if they did it make it so much easier and less hassle for everyone.

So far I've had no problem getting things done well out of warranty, I'm sure the reason is because they bloody well know there's been a lot of problems with the same parts that I've had replaced.

By the way I had all the engine mounts (3) replace for no charge also a water pump/ cruise control no charge and air charge hose that they quoted me $821.00 reduce to $280.00 thermostat housing From $264.00 to $78.00.

So I have been quite lucky however in saying that I didn't really expect these parts to fail in a 2009 model C Class.

The car has done 125,000Klm when all were replace so hopefully I won't have any more trouble for a while.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Oddly, on Sun night a family member (C350) asked me to look at her right taillight…it was completely out. Thanks to this thread I reached in the round access hole in the sheet metal and squeezed the end of the plug where the ground wire is located. All the lights turned on but the lower running light. She's headed in to the dealer later this week but I bet it's the ground wire problem.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63
it turns out that i have the same issue... i'm out of factory warranty but i got an extended warranty from MB so hopefully it covers it.

i'm wondering if there is actually a fix for this... or will they just replace with the same part and it will likely happen again.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is an updated harness for the tail lights. But they will only replace the one that failed, no preventative on the other... stupid I know (I actually had both replaced about a year apart)
Old 12-11-2013, 04:21 PM

C220CDI 2009
There is an updated harness for the tail lights. But they will only replace the one that failed, no preventative on the other... stupid I know (I actually had both replaced about a year apart)
The updated one looks a 100% better, I had both replaced yesterday no charge and the other side was perfectly okay.

I must say the local dealership is fantastic, they do everything they can to help, I more than likely wouldn't have the Benz if wasn't for them.

Last edited by silkynitro; 12-11-2013 at 07:54 PM.