C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does P31 and 507 also Have 290> Limp Mode?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:12 PM

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
MY19AMG GT-C; MY14C63-507 - former Audi B6 S4
Originally Posted by 507 man
New to the site and my 507

took it to VIR in Danville Saturday and kept getting the Limp mode. Thought at first is was a traction mode but shut everything off. Now realize it is definitely a temp thing. Very disappointing.

Welcome to the 507 club 507 Man. It is very cool you got a chance to hit Alton. Must have been great in the 507 (other than the limp mode). Question for you: what was your Oil Temperature when Limp Mode kicked in? Was it in and around 290 F?

-C
Old 07-15-2014, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 507
You guessed it. right at 290 trans also got very hot so it to got involved

In addition the brake cylinders front and read drivers side both puked fluid along with engine puking a quart or two and the trans

suspect high g load( I have Hoosier slicks on) and temps caused the engine and trans oil to come out and that the brake fluid boiled.

Went through a set of pads to boot.

when I go again I have high spec Castrol brake fluid to put in although I suspect it should have had the equivalent from the factory -and looking for a different pad for brakes - which will naturally wear the rotors but stopping is always a good thing.

Car just turned 3,000 miles so probably not the recommended break in procedure.

It was a mid 90's day so a little hopeful that with cooler temps it might eliminate the Limp mode. Ran down several M3's and Vette's before it died.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:54 PM

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
MY19AMG GT-C; MY14C63-507 - former Audi B6 S4
Very interesting. Someone else on here had an issue with slicks and our cars. Like you, they suspected the high level of Gs and stress on the internals causing the overheating issue.

I also find it interesting your experience with the brake pads and fluid. But, I suppose, VIR is a heavy braking type track depending on the layout; I'm guessing you were on the Full Course layout (without the Madison Ave. quasi Chicane)? Going into T1, T11 and T14 must have been fun when you had the brakes up to temperature and some pads left to shed the speed!

I know over on the Private Lounge there was talk of an Oil Cooling system for the non-BS cars from the AMG team. You may want to post your experiences there....it's been dead on that board and having some real world track data may get some things moving for us!

Keep on keeping on dude.

-C
Old 07-15-2014, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 507, 911 Carrera, Range Rover, Disco
Originally Posted by 507 man
You guessed it. right at 290 trans also got very hot so it to got involved

In addition the brake cylinders front and read drivers side both puked fluid along with engine puking a quart or two and the trans

suspect high g load( I have Hoosier slicks on) and temps caused the engine and trans oil to come out and that the brake fluid boiled.

Went through a set of pads to boot.

when I go again I have high spec Castrol brake fluid to put in although I suspect it should have had the equivalent from the factory -and looking for a different pad for brakes - which will naturally wear the rotors but stopping is always a good thing.

Car just turned 3,000 miles so probably not the recommended break in procedure.

It was a mid 90's day so a little hopeful that with cooler temps it might eliminate the Limp mode. Ran down several M3's and Vette's before it died.

Ha - good for you on running the Ho-Ho's but these cars are not designed for that on a 90 degree day in southern VA

I hope with track rubber you did not induce any oil starvation...pads will get fried and fluid will boil with track rubber - it simply allows you to push the car easily into situations it was not designed for lap after lap.

That kind of rubber allows you to drive deeper into the corners and require much more brake to haul the heavy beast down.

If you are headed back I would suggest some basic upgrades - track pads with track based compound, higher boil brake fluid and some engine cooling - maybe that new cooling kit that is out?

Even with that - track rubber will likely cause the same issues...just not as quick.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 507
Originally Posted by ParkerK
Ha - good for you on running the Ho-Ho's but these cars are not designed for that on a 90 degree day in southern VA

I hope with track rubber you did not induce any oil starvation...pads will get fried and fluid will boil with track rubber - it simply allows you to push the car easily into situations it was not designed for lap after lap.

That kind of rubber allows you to drive deeper into the corners and require much more brake to haul the heavy beast down.

If you are headed back I would suggest some basic upgrades - track pads with track based compound, higher boil brake fluid and some engine cooling - maybe that new cooling kit that is out?

Even with that - track rubber will likely cause the same issues...just not as quick.
Yeah pretty basic stuff. I will say the car was very easy to drive fast at least compared to my race car.