Carbon Fiber Hood

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 02:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C63 2016 AMG GT S
Carbon Fiber Hood

Hi all,

For those of you that have replaced your stock hood with a CF hood, what did you use for the struts?

I replaced mine with a VIS CF hood and the folks at VIS said that the stock pressurized struts may cause the hood to bow over time. I can see that especially on those 101 degree days being stuck in traffic.

Any feedback or suggestions would be great as I hate using a broomstick to hold up the hood..lol

Thanks
Old 10-01-2013, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
Originally Posted by C63-AMG
Hi all,

For those of you that have replaced your stock hood with a CF hood, what did you use for the struts?

I replaced mine with a VIS CF hood and the folks at VIS said that the stock pressurized struts may cause the hood to bow over time. I can see that especially on those 101 degree days being stuck in traffic.

Any feedback or suggestions would be great as I hate using a broomstick to hold up the hood..lol

Thanks
I tried using some old struts from a tonneau cover off my custom 454SS pickup . it's a flush fit fiberglass tonneau and the struts are rated a lot lighter than our OEM struts . they worked perfect for the carbon hood . you need to measure the OEM strut from center opening to center opening while the strut is fully extended and fully contracted . that will give you an idea of what to look for as far as dimensions go
Old 10-01-2013, 03:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C63 2016 AMG GT S
Sweet. Thanks for the info.