Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to tuning! Seeking wisdom

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Diabolis – nice post’s, you seem to have a proper and balanced view of things.

I too have been on the fence about a tune (non-pp C63) and for now I feel I may hold off for these reasons. My style of driving, a ‘been there done that’ past, and to avoid any gremlins that are to be found.

I drive my C63 in the mountains a lot (twisting, turning, hilly roads) – and I have yet to even desire to see where this car’s traction limit is on public roads. This car can already get sideways in 3rd gear down… but even without breaking loose, I get plenty of thrills driving as aggressive and fast as I feel comfortable doing so on such roads. So added power in the mountains will really do me no good as I’m already 'fat and satisfied' with the power this car has in stock form.

On highway/freeway type of driving, essentially the best place to put down big power – I’ve lived that up plenty with my previous 700rwhp SRT8 and to be 100% honest, it’s a bit overrated IMO & IME. Sure I could can pull hard as hell in a straight line and beat the likes of an M5, Shelby GT500, etc... But once you have that feeling under your belt and the infatuation is over, it gets old - it’s human nature.

I know this statement and view of things is in the minority, but the majority hasn’t had 700rwhp cars like I have. But my view of things is the C63 can pull plenty hard in a straight line ‘as is’ - and the extra pull you will feel from a tune will have its honeymoon stage, and then it will be common place and be old hats after about 5 WOT’s. At least that’s how it was for me.

So for now I’m enjoying the car for what it is. Its powerful, its balanced, and its “gremlin” free on OEM form.

And PS – yes, I agree with you that a tune is not without compromise. There is always a trade-off somewhere.

Last edited by mdgrwl; 10-21-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Mdgrwl,

Exactly - you hit the nail on the head with your comments about balance. I too had a car that was in the 600 hp range and relatively light, but it was a one-trick pony that wore pretty fast and I had to get the fillings in my teeth replaced every time I drove it. Once the adrenaline rush wears off, you realize that you're sitting strapped down in a tin can with an engine and a fuel tank and that being able to tell whether the dotted lines on the road were painted with gloss or flat paint and having your ears ring for two days afterwards is not exactly an advantage in everyday life.

For me, the C63 (with the options that I wanted) pretty much ticks all the boxes the way it comes from the factory. A little more meat on the tires does help, but it handles remarkably well for a car of its size and weight, it has gobs of power and torque from idle on up that you can actually put down and you're not going to overcook the brakes the third time you slam hard on the brake pedal, but at the same time it is also very civilized, comfortable and luxurious enough that you can tune out the bumps on the road and the engine noise when you want to and just enjoy the scenery around you or go to the theatre. It's not meant to be a boy racer and IMHO turning it into one just defeats the purpose of the car.

Last edited by Diabolis; 10-21-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 302 Likes on 194 Posts
10 C six trizzle
dont forget about a catch can. the stock crank ventilation system puts a lot of oil through the intake and nasties it up quickly. Even on a stock car Id consider getting one asap. You'll be plenty happy with tune and headers/cat delete etc. just get a good quality catback/muffler or its going to be loud and ugly sounding.