Sponsored by:

C63 Owners - Maintenance costs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 c63
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
mpg is going to avg 13-15 in the city 19-21 on the highway. brakes very by driver. amg brakes are huge and thus they can last along time. ive seen pads last 50k on amg's but they werent driven as designed. typically you are looking 20-30k miles for fronts, rear usually last 30-40k. rotors every other pad replacement unless they are excessively worn/warped from crazy highway pulls or track days. front tires 8-12kmiles rear 3-5kmiles. once again driver dependent and choice of tires. maint is pretty straight forward. heres the general brake down.

10k/1yr minor service
20k/2yr major service +brake flush
30k/3yr minor service
40k/4hr major service +brake flush+ engine air filters + trans service depending on year
repeat.... throw in spark plugs at 50-60k miles - transervice on later models due at 60k

other than that theres not really much more to it than occasional bulbs and other misc. trim. every now and than maybe an intake gasket or check engine light
Thank you very much - this is very descriptive and just the right detail that I'm looking for. So far, nothing surprising (big smile on my face).
Old 11-01-2013, 11:27 AM

2012 c63
Originally Posted by Homey63
I'm driving a 2012 (18 months) with about 21,000 KM. Mostly city as a DD, no track, aggressive but not abusive. So far I've done a service A at C$280. Nothing else other than squeaky brakes. Mileage is about 18+ litres / 100km in the city. Done several long drives doing 60mph (this is tough) and averaged about 12 litres / 100KM. Not great but on the other hand, there is no substitute for torque.

Did the math on the incremental cost of gas over my hold period vs. 335i (pick your own fun factor 911). Treated the difference as the total cost of ownership. I concluded that I could live with that.

I agree with you, you can afford it because you are informed.

Good luck in your decision.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I can afford it, no problem, and the maintenance is just something I want to be aware of - not only for a cost perspective, but so I know that I'm maintaining it correctly. Lots of common sense here... but I realize a C63 will need a bit more attention, which I'm totally cool with.

I am curious, however... has anyone here purchased your C63 online or in a different state & had it shipped to you? What kind of experiences did you have? Maybe a topic I need to pull into a new thread...
Old 11-02-2013, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
  • How hard you drive it - ~15/85 hard/normal driving.. i commute ~70 miles per work day in it
  • Typical MPG - overall for the life of the car is just a hair under 16mpg combined, but that's with A LOT of highway miles. on the highway i can get 18-19mpg on average, city i'm around 10-12mpg
  • How often you change your tires - ~2-2.5 times per year for rears, fronts to be honest i get a nail in them often enough where i don't think i've run them bald yet.
  • How often you have the front and/or rear brakes done (and do you replace the rotors every time?) - whenever the dealer/shop tells me to.. not sure how often, done it at least 2, maybe 3 times that i can remember.. i just cracked 80k
  • Any other typical maintenance costs? - GAS AND TIRES will be your worst problem (assuming nothing major breaks).. aside from that i get an oil change every 5k since hitting 50k.. depending how much you drive i would say if you can save at least 2k per year for services (if you do it at the dealer.. i do), you should be in good shape.. i say 2k because sometimes it's $300, sometimes it's $1000 for the larger ones (at least in my experience).. whatever is left just roll it over into the next year.

Last edited by drawde; 11-02-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by briscoea
I am a prospective C63 buyer and found this forum to be a wealth of information which is helping me base my decisions (among other sources) as to my purchasing a C63.

Now.. I know there will be some people out there who may say "if you're worried about maintenance costs..." Trust me, I can afford the C63 many times over - I just believe in educating myself first before I jump in.

So my question to all of you is:

What maintenance costs do you incur? The more details the better. And, since I live in the US, I'm thinking in US$ - so if you're in another country, please specify this.

It'd be nice to know stuff like:
  • How hard you drive it
  • Typical MPG
  • How often you change your tires
  • How often you have the front and/or rear brakes done (and do you replace the rotors every time?)
  • Any other typical maintenance costs?
Thank you!
If you can afford one then just lease a new one and only worry about gas, oil, tires.

I drive it very hard
13mpg-15mpg
used to change them ever 6-7k miles until I changed to Michelin PSS now I get a sold 10k-12k miles.
Never paid for brakes, lease the car for 36 months mercedes always has pull ahead programs (4-8 months of the lease taken off for leasing a new benz) thats how I got out of my last C63 before I had to pay for any brakes or the next level up services which get more expensive as the car racks up miles.

If you own your own business or work for yourself then talk to your tax accountant, you can deduct lease expenses. Another benefit is you are not responsible for diminished value from an accident, if you owned the C63 I own now which has been hit by 2 idiots you wouldn't be sleeping well knowing the value lost. Pus I realized today I enjoy the car more since I don't get upset about rock chips or minor scuff that drove me nuts owning a high value car. But personal preference.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:28 AM

c63
Originally Posted by 2012C63AMG
If you can afford one then just lease a new one and only worry about gas, oil, tires.
this is so incredibly prudent unless you're going to drive the vehicle into the ground. far far better off leasing in almost every respect.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Originally Posted by _timothy
this is so incredibly prudent unless you're going to drive the vehicle into the ground. far far better off leasing in almost every respect.
Lease is OK for some situations...i guess it all depends how much you drive or want to drive the car, Maybe it's just me but I want to be a "Liquid" person...Maybe I just have too many bills as is but another bill every month would be annoying...that's just my 2cents though...the only thing to me you should "lease" is a house...A Car is a car...either way you look at it, you're pissing money down the drain..just with a lease you don't have anything to "keep" after that money gets pissed down the drain..I mean yeah sure with a "lease" you get to keep driving the newest one but don't you guys like actually "owning" things? maybe it's just me because I paid mine off fully and I could careless about rockchips or maintance costs...because if you have the $ to pay off a C63 you have the $ to not care about it as much...anyone who buys a C63 and leave them selfs broke after is a retard

Last edited by avery.whss; 11-02-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:50 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by avery.whss
Lease is OK for some situations...i guess it all depends how much you drive or want to drive the car, Maybe it's just me but I want to be a "Liquid" person...Maybe I just have too many bills as is but another bill every month would be annoying...that's just my 2cents though...the only thing to me you should "lease" is a house...A Car is a car...either way you look at it, you're pissing money down the drain..just with a lease you don't have anything to "keep" after that money gets pissed down the drain..I mean yeah sure with a "lease" you get to keep driving the newest one but don't you guys like actually "owning" things? maybe it's just me because I paid mine off fully and I could careless about rockchips or maintance costs...because if you have the $ to pay off a C63 you have the $ to not care about it as much...anyone who buys a C63 and leave them selfs broke after is a retard
Thats kind of backwards. A house is an appreciating asset assuming you didn't over pay at the top of the market in 05-06. A car is always a depreciating asset, with a lease it doesn't matter if the new model comes out etc. you know what you are going to pay, you also don't pay tax on the entire $75k purchase you only pay tax on your lease payments. You don't have to worry about selling it back to the dealer and getting screwed. I was the same way always purchased until i leased the last 2 C63's and I won't ever buy again.

Leasing is a great way to have a new car every few years without having to worry, it doesn't work for everyone but I do 12k miles a year leases and put maybe 9-10k miles on the car and its my daily driver, judging by others here an other C63 amgs for sale it seems most people drive less than 10k miles a year, what the sense in buying this car only to baby it and drive it on the weekends I feel like I enjoy the car more I drive it harder but I still take care of it, I still hand wash it, but driving it in the snow was fun I would not do that if I owned it.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Originally Posted by 2012C63AMG
Thats kind of backwards. A house is an appreciating asset assuming you didn't over pay at the top of the market in 05-06. A car is always a depreciating asset, with a lease it doesn't matter if the new model comes out etc. you know what you are going to pay, you also don't pay tax on the entire $75k purchase you only pay tax on your lease payments. You don't have to worry about selling it back to the dealer and getting screwed. I was the same way always purchased until i leased the last 2 C63's and I won't ever buy again.

Leasing is a great way to have a new car every few years without having to worry, it doesn't work for everyone but I do 12k miles a year leases and put maybe 9-10k miles on the car and its my daily driver, judging by others here an other C63 amgs for sale it seems most people drive less than 10k miles a year, what the sense in buying this car only to baby it and drive it on the weekends I feel like I enjoy the car more I drive it harder but I still take care of it, I still hand wash it, but driving it in the snow was fun I would not do that if I owned it.
are you talking about a new c63 or a few years old? i could see leasing a new c63 yeah but one thats already 50%+ depreciated seems kinda stupid? I was thinking you were talking about an older c63 not new...personally i'd never buy a brand new car..but that's just me because i know how much you lose..like you said..pay 75k a year later its probably worth 60 maybe...i get what your saying now though
Old 11-02-2013, 11:39 PM

2012 C63 AMG
are you talking about a new c63 or a few years old? i could see leasing a new c63 yeah but one thats already 50%+ depreciated seems kinda stupid? I was thinking you were talking about an older c63 not new...personally i'd never buy a brand new car..but that's just me because i know how much you lose..like you said..pay 75k a year later its probably worth 60 maybe...i get what your saying now though

MB does not lease used cars. I am sure you could find a private leasing company but that would be stupid. Still buying used unless its private party you are going to pay nearly $5k in taxes on a $60k car from a dealer for CPO. I wouldn't want any Mercedes or BMW epically an AMG or M car which are using new transmissions that dont have a massive track record. after 4 years or 50k miles, there is a reason why you can buy them 3-4 year down the road for so cheap you end up throwing $2k-3k a year keeping them going when anything breaks. Been there done that will never own another car out of warranty.

OP now is a bad time to lease C63 tho, ites best to lease when the new model year car comes out with a fresh body style. You could probably lease an E63 or CLS 63 for just a tad more than a current C63 as the residual value is not great since a 100% new C63 is coming out.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Leasing is usually more cost effective in two situations. When you have a business to write it off on since you can write off more with a lease than you can depreciate with a purchase, and when the factory is offering great leasing programs when they subsidize the leases. Virtually all other times, owning the car results in lower costs after all is said and done.

I have had a different car every year for the past 5 years without it costing me a dime. How? Well, after I have a car for about 9 months, I start getting the itch for something new, then start scouring forums and used car sites for the right car that is 1-2 years old at what appears to be wholesale cost or near that. I buy the car, then sell the car I already have. Since I put less than 10,000 miles on the car, keep it maintained well, paid a great price for it when I got it, I usually break even or make some money on the sale. Last car I sold, I drove for 10 months and 5000 miles, and sold it for a $5000 profit. The key is when you find the right car at a great price, pull the trigger immediately and then get your current ride in optimal condition to sell it. Fully detailed, high resolution pics, well constructed ebay and forum ad, etc. It also helps having Manheim access too (thanks to my dealer) so wholesale values are easily available.

I have a dealer friend do the car swap so instead of paying sales tax on a $50,000+ vehicle, I pay him $500 to do the paperwork so it appears he bought my car from me and he sold it to my buyer, I have the seller of my new car put the dealer's name on the title, and my dealer sells me the new car at equal price so it's an even swap. Money flows through me but paperwork through the dealer. All legit too because even though I made all arrangements and did the financing, the dealership on paper did everything.

This system actually has me about $3000 ahead, and having had 2 Porsches, 2 Audis, and now a C63 Coupe that I already have pre-sold (to someone I work with who loves it) in about 6 months for exactly what I paid for it, I'm already searching for the right Audi RS5 at the right price.

Last edited by Dr Chill; 11-03-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:44 PM

2012 c63
+1 for this one! haha! Kind of reminds me in the big housing boom in '05, people were buying million dollar homes and couldn't afford to put furniture in the thing (barely put food on the table). The same is true here: buy a $60k car, maintenance costs are... meh. But nice to be aware
Old 08-13-2014, 09:46 PM

2012 c63
I wanted to extend my thanks to those who replied to my (now old) posting here, as well as all of the great information which I've obtained from this forum!

I will be a happy owner of a 2012 C63 as of tomorrow (when it's delivered). Yipee!!! :o)
Old 08-14-2014, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Congrats, good news. Enjoy, you will love your C63.