Sponsored by:

Sons first car, help??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by - Guilty -
That applies mostly to the US where people don't know how to drive. Americans teens just think they need to put the car in D and that's it.

Where I come from we learn how to drive stick shift first, how to be responsible etc. As I said, it doesn't matter what car you're in. If you're an idiot you gonna find a way to crash anyways. If your dad is a bad driver and you were riding with him too much, you gonna inherit all his bad habits. It's just common sense. I believe that most of the people in America don't even go to driving school. And they get their license at 16 not 18.

I'm not here to argue with anyone, I respect your point of view and I'd like you to respect mine as well. You can raise your kids the way you want, and I'll do the same when it's time.

Hit you with this my friend… Lake wobegon where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Wobegon
If you like it or not and by reading your posts in this topic you are falling into the trap so many here have fallen into… When they disagree with another member here not point you out 100% for this but it always turns into a "you must suck at driving" crap.

Simple question would you want a pilot with 1 years of experience or a pilot who has 5 years? I agree the drivers educate is lacking, but the material is there and for the most part when learn from experience driving each day on what to trust and not trust. As I watched my younger friends learn how to drive I would tell them all the time just because they have a blinker on doesn't mean they are going to turn, with experience you learn to watch for the nose dive of a car putting its brakes on, you learn to judge and oncoming cars speed by experience, you learn that not everyone follows the rules and what to stay away from. This is what reading a book or basic car handling can't teach you is the real world experience, while I agree the other two are important.

Going back to my story about just because a blinker is on doesn't mean someone will turn, my friend didn't learn until he pulled out in front of someone with a blinker on, no crash but very close call the oncoming driver just changed lanes, but it took that experience to prevent him from doing it again, someone that he could of learned form listening to me, but psychologically people want to learn on their own and it took me until I was about 23-24 before I realize I should listen to the people who have been there done that, much happier just about to enter my 30s from taking advice from older folks.

Last edited by 2012C63AMG; 11-19-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
I understand where you're coming from but you can also learn a LOT from just watching. Have a good driver as a mentor helps a lot. I know it helped me anyways. As I said everyone is entitled to their opinion and I don't want to argue with anyone. I'm just saying that if I had a son I would give him a nice car. If he does anything that I dislike and he gets caught, punishment will be cruel. THEN, he will learn how to respect a gift he's been giving and will appreciate it more. If my son crashes, id rather him crash in a benz than a civic that's for sure.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:10 PM

2012 C63 AMG
I understand where you're coming from but you can also learn a LOT from just watching. Have a good driver as a mentor helps a lot. I know it helped me anyways. As I said everyone is entitled to their opinion and I don't want to argue with anyone. I'm just saying that if I had a son I would give him a nice car. If he does anything that I dislike and he gets caught, punishment will be cruel. THEN, he will learn how to respect a gift he's been giving and will appreciate it more. If my son crashes, id rather him crash in a benz than a civic that's for sure.
I 100% agree with your last part. No one wants a hurt kid. But you as a parent can help reduce that last part by not giving a 1st time driver a 500hp C63 buy then a C250 and wait 3-4 years, giving any kid a high performance is increasing you risk of them getting hurt.

Giving a kid a faster car they will chance it more, try to use that power to beat xyz where the road merge etc, they are simply not ready for it yet in terms of experience and mental maturity especially in boys who mature later on. I see all these early 20 somethings driving around AMGs most drive like *** holes.

To the OP I know the pressure of going to a school with a bunch of rich kids, be the smart parents get him something safe like the Audi or BMW, just get them one with a safe and reasonable amour of power bellow 300HP, the 135i is just too fast i had a 335i when my BMW was in for service and dam that things quicker than the E46M3.

Last edited by 2012C63AMG; 11-19-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Banned

'16 C63-S
I never said to buy an Amg as a first car. I just said a nice car. A C250 is a very nice first car. My first car I bought with my own money was a 2005 C230. My dad never bought me a car because I decided to come to the US without his permission.

I just don't agree with people saying buy him a civic... It doesn't make sense unless you actually can't afford to buy him a nice car. But op doesn't seem to have this problem. So a 328i or a C250-300 will for sure make the kid happy. I know I would be.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Banned

'16 C63-S
I would also buy a stick as a first car so he can learn how to drive properly.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
I would also buy a stick as a first car so he can learn how to drive properly.
+100
Old 11-19-2013, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
I cannot believe all this "give" crap. You as a parent brought them into the world, housed them and fed them for 18 years and then you give him/her a car. Really, what ever happened to get a job, earn some money, save that money then go with them to let them purchase their own car which they will cherish and gain maturity during and after the purchase. Lets not forget about them paying for their own insurance. But go ahead and spoil your child, it will not make you a better parent and hopefully you never get that phone call!
Old 11-19-2013, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I never said to buy an Amg as a first car. I just said a nice car. A C250 is a very nice first car. My first car I bought with my own money was a 2005 C230. My dad never bought me a car because I decided to come to the US without his permission. I just don't agree with people saying buy him a civic... It doesn't make sense unless you actually can't afford to buy him a nice car. But op doesn't seem to have this problem. So a 328i or a C250-300 will for sure make the kid happy. I know I would be.
A Civic is a solid car. Cars are depreciating assets and will likely be abused at some point. It doesn't make sense to give a novice driver a luxury car unless you're oozing money. I didn't have a say because it was passed along to me. But I was happy to have a car. I didn't live in a major city where I could rely on public transit.

If OP wants to get his kid a luxury car, then fine. He solicited advice and we have differing opinions. All I know is that most financial experts say to make the smarter decision. Buy used or something reliable and easy to maintain. If you're wealthy enough, then you can do whatever you want. However, the vast majority of Americans are middle class (which is vanishing) or working class.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Critter
I cannot believe all this "give" crap. You as a parent brought them into the world, housed them and fed them for 18 years and then you give him/her a car. Really, what ever happened to get a job, earn some money, save that money then go with them to let them purchase their own car which they will cherish and gain maturity during and after the purchase. Lets not forget about them paying for their own insurance. But go ahead and spoil your child, it will not make you a better parent and hopefully you never get that phone call!
^^ Agree'd. My first car was $1,500 bucks because thats all I could afford. Insurance cost more than the car, and yep, I had to pay for everything.

If people are well off and want to buy their children a car, go for it. If you want to buy them a Civic or a $50K Mercedes, go for it... if you got that kind of money.

My point is this - Just be prepaired for insurance claims... because its almost a forgone conclusion that they WILL get into an accident(s) with it. Hopefully minor ones and just dings and dents.

Last edited by mdgrwl; 11-19-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Banned

'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by mdgrwl
^^ Agree'd. My first car was $1,500 bucks because thats all I could afford. Insurance cost more than the car, and yep, I had to pay for everything.

If people are well off and want to buy their children a car, go for it. If you want to buy them a Civic or a $50K Mercedes, go for it... you got the money.

Just be prepaired for insurance claims... because its almost a forgone conclusion that they WILL get into an accident(s) with it.
IF they crash, you take away the car and buy him a $1500 car, that's how I see it. Give them a chance.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:53 PM

C63 AMG
IF they crash, you take away the car and buy him a $1500 car, that's how I see it. Give them a chance.
That's fantastic. Well I see it a different way (and if you read, most agree with me).

But this is a forum so differing opinions will fly...
Old 11-19-2013, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
@Guilty "if he crashes it you just buy/give/get him a 1500 dollar car" LOL, not on my watch!!
Next ride is the 30 dollar bus pass.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Banned

'16 C63-S
Yes but with a $1500 car I'm sure he'll opt for the bus by himself LOL.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
I would get him a Subaru Legacy/Impreza 4-cylinder with CVT if I were you. It's safe, economical, reliable, and nothing crazy can be done with the CVT. He should be grateful that the old man is buying him one instead of him busting out his own wallet.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:39 AM

2012 C63 AMG
That escalated quickly..
I think it really depends, I know, 3 kids with a 1M,M3 and a standard 135i.
im not looking at any of those, but 4 years now and not one accident or even a ding. Yes im sure speeding tickets are a dime a dozen, but that's different. Make them pay for the tickets haha! Here in South africa, there is around 45-50 road deaths a day. One of the highest in the world i believe, not many really occur in our area but still. A shocking stat, age here has never been a big contributor. Most accidents occured were between 27 and 35.. I think under the influence is a huge problem, fast, expensive or cheap and slow!
I think a new bmw or audi would be safe and reliable. Won't buy second hand, and nothing like a civic. Maybe a 125i hatch or what you guys think of a 420i? coming next year, neat looking and does 7.3 seconds. He will have the style, and medium performance?
Old 11-20-2013, 10:58 AM

C63 AMG
Seems like you got the money, do whatever you want. Get him a BMW X5 or Porsche 911, or is that over board?

Last edited by mdgrwl; 11-20-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:42 PM

2013 C350 coupe
Get a hummer for safety