C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Issues with replacing parking lamps / eyebrow lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Black C63
Issues with replacing parking lamps / eyebrow lights

Recently my outer passenger-side parking lamp died, prompting me to buy some LED replacements and attempt to replace all four bulbs with a whiter color. I checked a number of online videos regarding how to replace the bulbs... remove the cap, give a slight tug on the wires, and out pops the bulb housing. Everything worked fine up to this point.

I removed the old bulb, and attempted to install the LED replacement. Without great visibility and doing it one-handed, I thought that it was in properly. I put the housing back in the headlight unit, and started the car. The light didn't work, which I knew was a possibility. Thinking that perhaps the actual housing had broken, I attempted to replace the other passenger-side parking lamp. Again, remove the cap, slight tug on the wires, and out popped the housing. Replace the bulb with the LED, put the housing back in, start the car, and nothing. I noticed that when I put the housing back in, I pushed until I heard a very distinct "snap" as if the housing was now properly secured.

Here's the problem, however. When I now try to remove the housing to check if I installed the LEDs properly, they won't budge. The housings will rotate within the headlamp unit, but when I try to give that same tug on the wires, they won't move. I brought out some needlenose pliers, and with that still no luck. I purchased a set of probe tools, and was able to get a good solid grip on the housing, but even with that they still won't come out of the headlamp unit. These housings will rotate, but absolutely refuse to come out.

My question is, what do I do from here? I'm wondering if I somehow installed the LEDs sideways (I am an idiot and this is entirely possible) which now caused the housing to permanently lock itself into place once pushed back into the car.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-12-2013, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Black C63
Originally Posted by Jalps
Recently my outer passenger-side parking lamp died, prompting me to buy some LED replacements and attempt to replace all four bulbs with a whiter color. I checked a number of online videos regarding how to replace the bulbs... remove the cap, give a slight tug on the wires, and out pops the bulb housing. Everything worked fine up to this point.

I removed the old bulb, and attempted to install the LED replacement. Without great visibility and doing it one-handed, I thought that it was in properly. I put the housing back in the headlight unit, and started the car. The light didn't work, which I knew was a possibility. Thinking that perhaps the actual housing had broken, I attempted to replace the other passenger-side parking lamp. Again, remove the cap, slight tug on the wires, and out popped the housing. Replace the bulb with the LED, put the housing back in, start the car, and nothing. I noticed that when I put the housing back in, I pushed until I heard a very distinct "snap" as if the housing was now properly secured.

Here's the problem, however. When I now try to remove the housing to check if I installed the LEDs properly, they won't budge. The housings will rotate within the headlamp unit, but when I try to give that same tug on the wires, they won't move. I brought out some needlenose pliers, and with that still no luck. I purchased a set of probe tools, and was able to get a good solid grip on the housing, but even with that they still won't come out of the headlamp unit. These housings will rotate, but absolutely refuse to come out.

My question is, what do I do from here? I'm wondering if I somehow installed the LEDs sideways (I am an idiot and this is entirely possible) which now caused the housing to permanently lock itself into place once pushed back into the car.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Just in case someone stumbles upon this in the future, I'll respond to myself. The answer was finding the right tool for the job, which in this case was vice-grip or locking needle nose pliers. They got a great grip and allowed me to get the leverage to dislodge the housing. Note that this is only necessary if you're as dumb as I am, but it worked great!
Old 12-13-2013, 01:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 Prius :)
Originally Posted by Jalps
Just in case someone stumbles upon this in the future, I'll respond to myself. The answer was finding the right tool for the job, which in this case was vice-grip or locking needle nose pliers. They got a great grip and allowed me to get the leverage to dislodge the housing. Note that this is only necessary if you're as dumb as I am, but it worked great!
Thanks for updating. Should be helpful for anyone who encounters the same problem
Old 12-13-2013, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63
I remember a couple of mine were a PAIN to remove when I installed LEDs. Weird design for the plugs. I feel like they could have made it a little easier.