Sponsored by:

CLA45 vs C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
Originally Posted by zibby43
I was trying to keep it respectable. My intent was to start a thoughtful conversation with you (which I have, fortunately) until "King Hit-and-Run" stopped by.

And that was my point, that the AMG cars are more "raw" than BMW M cars in a few departments (namely sound and sheer hooliganism). - Guilty - seemed to disagree but his post had no explanation as to why.

And while I agree with you that the biturbo V8 in the E63 doesn't sound as vicious as the M156, it still sounds excellent for a turbocharged car. It sounds way more throaty and aggressive than the turbocharged engine in the M5/M6. Wouldn't you agree?
I agree the E63 does sound okay compared to other turbocharged cars. But there's something raw and intimidating about a 6.2l naturally aspirated monster! You can get so much power out of it without having to go dwn the track of forced induction.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:32 AM

AMG
Originally Posted by - Guilty -
The reason why I disagree is because I dislike the new direction MB is taking. There is nothing "raw" about a turbocharged, all-wheel drive car, full of nannies to help you keep it straight.

You would also have to agree that all the new MBs look quite feminine with their round bumpers and "bee" headlights. (S-Class apart)

I will gladly buy a RWD BMW with a quieter exhaust note than a new MB that looks like it belongs to Barbie and Ken. After all, you can easily replace an exhaust ;-)

Until recently, I had a CL63. It was the best car I have ever had. True it was big. Some people called it a boat, but for me it was just awesome. All the crazy things I did with it... It still handles better than 90% out of the cars out there and with ESP Off it was just a blast.

That's just me though... each is entitled to his own opinion. I don't think I will be owning a new MB anytime soon. Brand loyalty has its limits. Time to expand my options and look at what other brands have to offer

Oh, and Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas!

Your comments are correct! They are beginning to look way to feminine and in my opinion are starting to become politically correct. i.e gone are the days of sliding around in rwd with the new 4matic systems etc. They're going too green!

Someone needs to grow ***** and put their foot down and stop all this green sh*t.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:33 AM

AMG
Originally Posted by N979Q
Frankly I looked hard at a new CLA-45 when I decided to by an additional AMG. What killed it for me was where the engine was manufactured. My wife said your going to buy a poor man's AMG? That was when I stopped looking at them. Good on MB for making an AMG for folks that can't afford the full Monty. I bought my C63C because where the engine was built and I did not want that voice in the back of my mind saying "a boxer is almost as good as a 911". IMHO.

Andy
That was exactly my point about the boxer/911 - CLA/A45 compared to the real AMG's.

PS: Sorry about the triple messages, i didn't know how to add 3 message quotes into one window/message.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
The reason why I disagree is because I dislike the new direction MB is taking. There is nothing "raw" about a turbocharged, all-wheel drive car, full of nannies to help you keep it straight.

You would also have to agree that all the new MBs look quite feminine with their round bumpers and "bee" headlights. (S-Class apart)

I will gladly buy a RWD BMW with a quieter exhaust note than a new MB that looks like it belongs to Barbie and Ken. After all, you can easily replace an exhaust ;-)

Until recently, I had a CL63. It was the best car I have ever had. True it was big. Some people called it a boat, but for me it was just awesome. All the crazy things I did with it... It still handles better than 90% out of the cars out there and with ESP Off it was just a blast.

That's just me though... each is entitled to his own opinion. I don't think I will be owning a new MB anytime soon. Brand loyalty has its limits. Time to expand my options and look at what other brands have to offer

Oh, and Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to you as well.

Styling preferences are highly subjective. If you don't find attractive the styling routes taken by Mercedes-Benz (or MB AMG), that is perfectly understandable. Definitely don't buy or lease what you don't like looking at.

I see you that you drive the new Lexus IS. Personally, I find that car to be one of the least attractive entry-level luxury cars on the market (along with the Cadillac ATS). However, if the design is pleasing to your eye then that is all that matters. Obviously the design is attractive to others because they're certainly selling them.

Regarding the "too many nannies/too easy to control argument" . . .

Personally, I would like to see you lap Laguna Seca flat-out in an E63-S with traction control off. If you turn in a stellar lap time without spinning or wrecking, I would say that your driving skills outclass the car's capabilities and that you'd need a RWD car to really test your limits.

Originally Posted by RawBenz
I agree the E63 does sound okay compared to other turbocharged cars. But there's something raw and intimidating about a 6.2l naturally aspirated monster! You can get so much power out of it without having to go dwn the track of forced induction.
That's fine but you have to realize that in the face of increasingly stringent emissions standards, rising oil prices, and industry trends, a decision by Mercedes-Benz to continue to pump out NA engines across the board would be suicide for the company.

Sure you can find a few supercars that will still feature NA engines but even in that realm, they're few and far between. AMGs and M cars are nothing more than performance-oriented road cars.

Furthermore, I just don't buy into the argument that a turbocharged engine is a "soft" or "uninteresting" one. It's just different.

Would you say that Formula 1 cars are not raw? Because the times just aren't changing in the road car world. F1 is adopting the forced induction approach is well: 1.6-litre turbocharged V6 engines.

Looking forward to you response to those thoughts.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited by zibby43; 12-25-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:18 AM

AMG
I don't buy cars to lap them around a track. I have race cars/bikes for that.

But, i understand what you're saying. What you need to understand is that if i took my C63 to Laguna Seca, a win for me isn't a record time or coming 1st in a race. A win for me is taking every corner as hard as I can, looking back seeing smoke and saying "thank f*ck i'm alive". It's the adrenalin of taking a corner sideways, hanging on for dear life. Listen to a car roar out of corners and pushing a car to its limits!! Pushing a car to its limits and really tempting fate doesn't always necessarily mean time attacks and races.

Yes i understand there are cars that would do the track better i.e AWD cars, turbocharged etc.

My thrills come from other ways. I could buy a CLA45 tomorrow. Get rid of the twin turbos, whack on a GT35R turbo, retune, rebuild etc and eat everyone on the track. But that's not fun for me. At the end of the day it's still a CLA45. Just like the example I used yesterday. I can buy a $10 000 RX3, spend $50 000AU on it and it'll do the 1/4mile faster than a Bugatti Veyron or Aventador. It'd do the 1/4 in about 8 seconds from my experience. But... It's still not a masterpiece. The engine is NOT hand built, the car is ****, has no Air Con, has no leather, it doesn't have that essence. Frankly it's the same with a CLA45 or A45.

I love turbos, don't get me wrong. I've owned some awesome turbo cars. I currently own a car with a blower on it too. So i'm NOT against forced induction. But when you have a car manufacturer renowned for intimidation of other cars i.e AMG it's unfortunate they are heading down the track of affordable cars for people like CLA45 and A45 and it is also unfortunate they are heading down the track of being green.

They are becoming soft. If you've driven the AMG range you will see the CLA and A class are very soft and feminine.

In terms of luxury/sport cars, the M division and AMG are the best IMO. But even the M division has brought out a softened version of the M3. And the new M4 is a flop too.

Had they had different motors i think i'd be very interested. That's why i'm not happy with the route AMG is going with the new C63 too. They are too caught up with competing with BMW that they will be bringing out a 5.5tt or 4.0tt. What a waste and what a shame
Old 12-25-2013, 02:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV

But, i understand what you're saying. What you need to understand is that if i took my C63 to Laguna Seca, a win for me isn't a record time or coming 1st in a race. A win for me is taking every corner as hard as I can, looking back seeing smoke and saying "thank f*ck i'm alive". It's the adrenalin of taking a corner sideways, hanging on for dear life. Listen to a car roar out of corners and pushing a car to its limits!! Pushing a car to its limits and really tempting fate doesn't always necessarily mean time attacks and races.

Yes i understand there are cars that would do the track better i.e AWD cars, turbocharged etc.

My thrills come from other ways. I could buy a CLA45 tomorrow. Get rid of the twin turbos, whack on a GT35R turbo, retune, rebuild etc and eat everyone on the track. But that's not fun for me. At the end of the day it's still a CLA45. Just like the example I used yesterday. I can buy a $10 000 RX3, spend $50 000AU on it and it'll do the 1/4mile faster than a Bugatti Veyron or Aventador. It'd do the 1/4 in about 8 seconds from my experience. But... It's still not a masterpiece. The engine is NOT hand built, the car is ****, has no Air Con, has no leather, it doesn't have that essence. Frankly it's the same with a CLA45 or A45.

I love turbos, don't get me wrong. I've owned some awesome turbo cars. I currently own a car with a blower on it too. So i'm NOT against forced induction. But when you have a car manufacturer renowned for intimidation of other cars i.e AMG it's unfortunate they are heading down the track of affordable cars for people like CLA45 and A45 and it is also unfortunate they are heading down the track of being green.

They are becoming soft. If you've driven the AMG range you will see the CLA and A class are very soft and feminine.

In terms of luxury/sport cars, the M division and AMG are the best IMO. But even the M division has brought out a softened version of the M3. And the new M4 is a flop too.

Had they had different motors i think i'd be very interested. That's why i'm not happy with the route AMG is going with the new C63 too. They are too caught up with competing with BMW that they will be bringing out a 5.5tt or 4.0tt. What a waste and what a shame
If your goal is to "[take] every corner as hard as [you] can, [and look] back [to see] smoke and [say] 'thank f*ck i'm alive'" and the W205 AMG that is forthcoming is RWD, has a more powerful engine than the current 6.2L motor, is lighter than the W204, and overall faster in every respect, don't you think you'll have a good chance of obtaining your goal?

Because quite frankly, AMG has to compete with M. The new M3 is going to be a weapon. If MB trotted out basically the same car with the same engine with the W205 AMG, it would get its *** kicked by the new 3,300 pound, more powerful M3.

I don't understand how the existence of cars like the A45/CLA45 affect you at all if you're not interested in owning one. The goal is to get younger people into the brand so that when it comes time that they can afford a better, more powerful car (e.g., the C63), that they will stay in the AMG brand based upon a history of prior ownership.

I understand your desires and wants but AMG has to run a business. Without trying new things there is no opportunity for innovation and a lack of innovation means dominance by BMW and Audi. That's no good for people with AMG DNA in their veins.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:34 AM

AMG
Originally Posted by zibby43
If your goal is to "[take] every corner as hard as [you] can, [and look] back [to see] smoke and [say] 'thank f*ck i'm alive'" and the W205 AMG that is forthcoming is RWD, has a more powerful engine than the current 6.2L motor, is lighter than the W204, and overall faster in every respect, don't you think you'll have a good chance of obtaining your goal?

Because quite frankly, AMG has to compete with M. The new M3 is going to be a weapon. If MB trotted out basically the same car with the same engine with the W205 AMG, it would get it's *** kicked by the new 3,300 pound, more powerful M3.

I don't understand how the existence of cars like the A45/CLA45 affect you at all if you're not interested in owning one. The goal is to get younger people into the brand so that when it comes time that they can afford a better, more powerful car (e.g., the C63), that they will stay in the AMG brand based upon a history of prior ownership.

I understand your desires and wants but AMG has to run a business. Without trying new things there is no opportunity for innovation and a lack of innovation means dominance by BMW and Audi. That's no good for people with AMG DNA in their veins.
But it still sounds sh*t lol. It might take corners better than a standard 6.2 C63, and it might be lighter and faster. But it still sounds sh*t and looks sh*t.

The new C63 2015 is horrible looking. No matter how fast it may be from factory it's ugly.

I understand what you're saying and i respect mercedes with trying to compete with M3/AUDi and so on.

Maybe they should have built a 6.2 Supercharged from factory hahaha! Now that's an engine!

As i've said i own a highly modified C63, so i don't think i'll be upgrading to a 2015 C63 with the 5.5tt or 4.0tt.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
But it still sounds sh*t lol. It might take corners better than a standard 6.2 C63, and it might be lighter and faster. But it still sounds sh*t and looks sh*t.

The new C63 2015 is horrible looking. No matter how fast it may be from factory it's ugly.

I understand what you're saying and i respect mercedes with trying to compete with M3/AUDi and so on.

Maybe they should have built a 6.2 Supercharged from factory hahaha! Now that's an engine!

As i've said i own a highly modified C63, so i don't think i'll be upgrading to a 2015 C63 with the 5.5tt or 4.0tt.
I don't think we've seen the 2015 W205 AMG, have we? There have been no official reveals nor have there been any spy shots of a fully revealed W205 AMG that I am aware of.

And we haven't heard the car, either. So I don't see how we can say it "sounds like s***" . . .

Sure we've seen the standard W205 C-Class but we know that the AMG variant is going to be significantly different with respect to both interior and exterior appearance (I hope not too different with respect to the interior because I find the W205 interior to be LIGHT-YEARS ahead of the W204's).

For example, I'd like to think my W204 C63 looks substantially different than a C300 haha.

Anyway, I understand your concerns but I have a feeling that when all is said and done and we read the final numbers, hear the car, see the car, and listen to Chris Harris giggle like a school girl after thrashing it on the track, that we ALL are going to be mighty impressed by the W205 AMG.

Perhaps we'll resume this conversation when that day comes?
Old 12-25-2013, 04:34 AM

AMG
I have seen a lot of spy pics and it is going to have the same body as the C Class 2015. Although it will have pumped guards, kit etc. There won't be much of a difference in terms of base/body.

And I've heard the 5.5 bi turbo that mercedes make and it sounds sh*t compared to the C63 W204. I've also heard the BMW M3/M4 new setups and they sound sh*t too.

Chris Harris isn't me. He might like something that I don't like. Chris Harris cannot speak on behalf of ALL people.

I've driven cars that my friends love that i hated, vice versa. There are cars that others love that I don't. You will always have that. So Chris Harris might like it, doesn't mean I will.

Top Gear test drove the current M3 and they loved it. I hated it. Hence why i bought a C63. You will always have that, it's simple.. Everyone is different.

I do love having discussions and hearing other peoples views and opinions. I'm just a sucker for the 6.2l

Maybe if they retained the styling of the C63 and changed it a little bit, i could probably grow to like the engine. But at this stage i don't see myself liking it at all because there's nothing to like about it. They are styling all the new merc's bodies based on the current CLS. Just look at the CLA, look at the 2015 C63 etc. They all look very similar, so it's obvious the road AMG/Mercedes is taking.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
I think we all will miss the rawness of the 6.2l and I think Benz should stick with the NA Route.

But we all know the reasons behind the decision and will have to accept it.

Regarding the A45 and CLA45 I think there are some buyers that will simply buy them because they wanted a small Benz -a daily driver perhaps- and the top of the line AMG is in their spend budget and thought well why not?

I know I almost made that decision but decided the quality and less classy look was a too big of a step down from the C.

As an entry level prestige car Benz are ahead of BMW's offering in a lot of respects at present.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:10 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S

Amen

Again, zibby, the Lexus is a WINTER car. It's my first AWD and probably the last one. I'm not staying in NY. It will be gone in no time. I can't afford having 2 cars in Manhattan... I already owe the city 3k in tickets
Old 12-25-2013, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Amen

Again, zibby, the Lexus is a WINTER car. It's my first AWD and probably the last one. I'm not staying in NY. It will be gone in no time. I can't afford having 2 cars in Manhattan... I already owe the city 3k in tickets
Yeah I wasn't commenting on the drivetrain at all. I was making a point about the styling. I don't like it but obviously you do or you would've spent the money on a different AWD platform. You don't like the styling on some of the newer MB models but I'm quite keen on most of the new designs. Different strokes for different folks was my point.

And regarding the tickets. Glad we have an abundance of parking lots here in the Midwest.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:03 PM

997.2 GT3
Originally Posted by YICS NZ
Unmoded c63 drives only average considering its price brandnew, some guys call it a nice engine, beautiful sound n building quality, yea maybe, but for 1/2 of its money someone easily mod up a nice jap sports car n out beat a stock c63.
The C63 is about $65k brand new in the US. Stock, it will run about 115mph at the end of the 1/4 mile. Now, what new Japanese car can you buy and have budget to mod for $32.5k to match that level of performance?
Old 12-25-2013, 07:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63s AMG W205
Originally Posted by Point2Point
The C63 is about $65k brand new in the US. Stock, it will run about 115mph at the end of the 1/4 mile. Now, what new Japanese car can you buy and have budget to mod for $32.5k to match that level of performance?
Mitsu evo 10, sub STi, nissan fairlady quite a few.
Wonder hw much nissan gtr r 35 costs brandnew in the us?

If c63 is selling at usd$65k in NZ or Aussie im sure almost every MB buyer wud get it, so damn cheap! Brandnew nissan Gtr sells for about usd$100k here but still about 1/3rd cheaper than the C63...
Old 12-25-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63s AMG W205
I have seen a lot of spy pics and it is going to have the same body as the C Class 2015. Although it will have pumped guards, kit etc. There won't be much of a difference in terms of base/body. And I've heard the 5.5 bi turbo that mercedes make and it sounds sh*t compared to the C63 W204. I've also heard the BMW M3/M4 new setups and they sound sh*t too. Chris Harris isn't me. He might like something that I don't like. Chris Harris cannot speak on behalf of ALL people. I've driven cars that my friends love that i hated, vice versa. There are cars that others love that I don't. You will always have that. So Chris Harris might like it, doesn't mean I will. Top Gear test drove the current M3 and they loved it. I hated it. Hence why i bought a C63. You will always have that, it's simple.. Everyone is different. I do love having discussions and hearing other peoples views and opinions. I'm just a sucker for the 6.2l Maybe if they retained the styling of the C63 and changed it a little bit, i could probably grow to like the engine. But at this stage i don't see myself liking it at all because there's nothing to like about it. They are styling all the new merc's bodies based on the current CLS. Just look at the CLA, look at the 2015 C63 etc. They all look very similar, so it's obvious the road AMG/Mercedes is taking.
Agree with the ugly rear styling of all new MB sedans, i much prefer the current model. The new rear feels abit detached from the front n middle sections. Again some ppl mite love it but im certainly not a fan.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:59 PM

AMG
I'm going to run into some issues when i go to upgrade lol.. There's not much to upgrade to if they phase out the 6.2
Old 05-20-2014, 04:09 AM

mercedes
cla 45 resale

Hi guys , looking at buying a new cla45 in australia for around 100,000 dollars , or a 2011 c 63 with 41000km on it for around $5000 more and 6mth left on it factory warranty , What do u think has a better resale value after a few years , it a hard question i know but what do u think?
Old 05-20-2014, 04:14 AM

AMG
Maybe go drive both.
See what you like better.

Don't buy a C63 or CLA if you're worried about resale value. Buy a hyundai.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:18 AM

mercedes
I don't think hyundai have got great resale either , is that what u drive?
Old 05-20-2014, 04:42 AM

AMG
They have a better resale than Mercedes. $9990 drive away.

3 years later the car is still worth 7-8k.

C63 brand new 160-200k depending on model. 3 years later worth 100-120

Do the math clown.
And the cars I drive are worth a hell of a lot more than the hunk of faeces you're trying to buy lol
Old 05-20-2014, 04:49 AM

mercedes
Wow , your hyundai sounds great , maybe i can come and c u and buy my kid his first car from u ,as u r obviously a sales assistant at the local hyundai dealership ,
Old 05-20-2014, 04:53 AM

mercedes
And actually RawBenz the car is for my wife , if i told u what i drive .U would curl up in the corner where u belong and start sucking your thumb,
Old 05-20-2014, 04:55 AM

AMG
Or maybe you can teach your kids not to be cheap flops and to buy a real car. Maybe your kid might not be worried about resale like his tight **** father lol
Go to the Holden forums dude.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:57 AM

mercedes
Dude ? yes u r a Hyundai owner,
Old 05-20-2014, 04:59 AM

AMG
Yes u r cool omg lol rofl
I lyk the way u talk! Must b kool. Run along now and make a post about CLA or 63 specs dreamer lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLA45 vs C63