C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Age old question. M3 or C63 or M5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 BMW M3
Age old question. M3 or C63 or M5

I'm planning on getting a new car in the next 2 or 3 months. I started the list off with many cars and now it's down to 3, the C63 Coupe, E92 M3 or F10 M5. The M3 is the lowest on power and torque yet something about it keeps drawing me back to it. I'm considering M5 because I might be needing to make a few long road trips, and it's the most comfortable, and it's the fastest out of all three. But the one that I've been leaning towards recently after test driving it, is the C63. The torque in that thing is crazy and the exhaust is the thunder of the gods. Interior wise the M3 lacks, but the M5 and C63 are pretty nice. Most of my commute is city and if highway, it's usually a long drive. Any inputs on which is better and why?
Old 12-27-2013, 07:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C63 Coupe
You're right, this is a question that has been asked in many threads on both the Mercedes and BMW forums. Typically, it does not include the M5 since it is not comparable to the other two because of its' size. The M3 should not be discounted on its' performance numbers. The car is very competitive to the C63 in most respects. The M3 has a better transmission (DCT) and feels more nimble, but the C63 has the better power plant and is more fun as a DD. Having said that, I would be happy with either car as a DD.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C63 coupe P31
If you have the money for the M5, then go for it! Pretty much everything about the M5 will be better than the M3 or C63.

What type of driver are you? Do you track your car? Don't forget that the new M3/M4 are out in less than 6 months, and the new C63 will be out in a year or so. The M5 won't be replaced for another 3-4 years!
Old 12-27-2013, 10:44 AM
b16

2009 C63, 2000 ML 430, 1994 Del Sol Vtec
Exactly, F10 M5 for sure. It is a little out of the ballpark of the other two.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
M5. No question
Bigger
More powerful
Interior is amazing and the driving experience is amazing.
The DCT and the sound it makes when going thru gear in mid range makes u never wanna stop driving.

The only down part about the F10 is , IT'S very HEAVY and it melts the 295's like they are free.
And best part is its rite up my cars *** when doing roll racing and it's 100% stock .
Old 12-27-2013, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
if you can afford an M5, get a 2014 E63S.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:08 AM
b16

2009 C63, 2000 ML 430, 1994 Del Sol Vtec
Originally Posted by BK63amg
That is something to consider.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
You know us Persians have to drive the Mercedes!

The 2014 E63 is the way to go if you're in that price range. Super car performance with a gorgeous Mercedes body

-Arsha

PS: Welcome to MBWorld!
Old 12-27-2013, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
2014 E63-S

2014 CLS63-S
Old 12-27-2013, 12:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W205 C43, C204 C63, & Honda Fit
Originally Posted by zibby43
2014 E63-S

2014 CLS63-S
Originally Posted by BK63amg
Great answers.

Originally Posted by VividRacing
You know us Persians have to drive the Mercedes!

The 2014 E63 is the way to go if you're in that price range. Super car performance with a gorgeous Mercedes body

-Arsha

PS: Welcome to MBWorld!
LOL, so true...
Old 12-27-2013, 12:55 PM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Get/look at S6. Better reviews than all others in its class including M5. Plus it's way less $$$. This is just my 2c
Old 12-27-2013, 12:56 PM

C63 GT3RS F800R
Idk how true this is but 2 of my friends are F10 M5 owners and they complain that they have to visit the dealer every 2 weeks. I was looking to upgrade my sedan from the c63 to the F10 but after looking around a little bit I decided to hold off. I think all are great cars but as a daily driver in comfort power and fun I would go with the c63 first choice and M5 second and m3 third. I'm not saying this because I have the c63 I'm saying this based on what a car has to offer. The C63 offers the best sound, pull and daily drivability. The sound of the 6208cc v8 is simply amazing to the ears and very addicting :vroom: but as others said you can't go wrong with any of these cars good luck man
Old 12-27-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 C63S coupe '09 C63, '15 Durango RT, '14 Jeep SRT8
Originally Posted by mthis
M5. No question Bigger More powerful Interior is amazing and the driving experience is amazing. The DCT and the sound it makes when going thru gear in mid range makes u never wanna stop driving. The only down part about the F10 is , IT'S very HEAVY and it melts the 295's like they are free. And best part is its rite up my cars *** when doing roll racing and it's 100% stock .
Dont know about the driving experience. I have both the f10 m5 and '09 c63 and I'll take the 63 over the m5. Yes its bigger and faster but its no fun to drive. Feels like a tank. It is more comfortable on long trips and dct is a lot better. The exhaust is horrible and makes me feel like I'm driving a video game. If you can afford the M5, I suggest you take a look at the e63, cls63. I'm actually considering dropping the C and getting the new s550 because it makes no sense to have two performance cars. M5 wasnt really my choice as it is a family car but I do enjoy driving it!
Old 12-27-2013, 02:48 PM

SL63
Originally Posted by newtrita
Idk how true this is but 2 of my friends are F10 M5 owners and they complain that they have to visit the dealer every 2 weeks. I was looking to upgrade my sedan from the c63 to the F10 but after looking around a little bit I decided to hold off. I think all are great cars but as a daily driver in comfort power and fun I would go with the c63 first choice and M5 second and m3 third. I'm not saying this because I have the c63 I'm saying this based on what a car has to offer. The C63 offers the best sound, pull and daily drivability. The sound of the 6208cc v8 is simply amazing to the ears and very addicting :vroom: but as others said you can't go wrong with any of these cars good luck man
Other than the normal break in service my F10 M5 has never been to the shop. I've dragraced it many times and it did 2 days back to back on a road course track without a hiccup. Reliability has not been a concern at all. Comfort wise I don't see the C63 winning any awards there; it's very rough by comparison. The M5 on the other hand is very comfy. it is a 7 series after all hiding in M5 clothes. Thusly it is also a tank and doesn't handle well. Gobs of power though. Too much for the suspension to handle as it just spins with the slightest touch of the gas even with the 295 PSS on back.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:01 PM

SL63
Originally Posted by w204nyc
Dont know about the driving experience. I have both the f10 m5 and '09 c63 and I'll take the 63 over the m5. Yes its bigger and faster but its no fun to drive. Feels like a tank. It is more comfortable on long trips and dct is a lot better. The exhaust is horrible and makes me feel like I'm driving a video game. If you can afford the M5, I suggest you take a look at the e63, cls63. I'm actually considering dropping the C and getting the new s550 because it makes no sense to have two performance cars. M5 wasnt really my choice as it is a family car but I do enjoy driving it!
Agreed, the M5 is really heavy and handling suffers. It's also really comfy and with the full leather interior option it's very nice inside with soft nappa leather everywhere. It's quick and will easily outrun the C. It'll outrun an E63S on the highway, but can't compete with the awd from a stop. The interior materials on the M is better than the E or CLS if you option the full leather, if not then it would slot under either of those. Either of the awd amgs will be easier to drive as the M can be unruly with its high strung power band. They all have their plus and minuses.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by JumpinJim
Agreed, the M5 is really heavy and handling suffers. It's also really comfy and with the full leather interior option it's very nice inside with soft nappa leather everywhere. It's quick and will easily outrun the C. It'll outrun an E63S on the highway, but can't compete with the awd from a stop. The interior materials on the M is better than the E or CLS if you option the full leather, if not then it would slot under either of those. Either of the awd amgs will be easier to drive as the M can be unruly with its high strung power band. They all have their plus and minuses.
Definitely, driving the M5 is like driving the C63 with ESP completely off. I'm just not crazy about the interior on the BMW's!
Old 12-27-2013, 05:46 PM

2014 C63 Coupe
What appeals to me in either the C63 or the M3 is absent in the M5. I drove the M5 for less than 15 minutes and that was enough wheel time to conclude it is a boat compared to the other two under consideration. Albeit, a very fast boat.....
Old 12-27-2013, 07:02 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Definitely, driving the M5 is like driving the C63 with ESP completely off. I'm just not crazy about the interior on the BMW's!
I own both a CLK63 BS and an M5. The F10 M5 is my daily and I have M1 programmed to Sport+ for steering, Sport+ for transmission and Sport+ for engine, which means TC off but I still have MDM. The difference in traction between the 2 cars is not even close … and the M5 pulls harder than my CLK. The CLK is really tail happy and even in 3rd gear the *** is all over the place … in comparison, my M5 is docile in the most aggressive settings. It's a very effortless car to drive, whether in traffic or on the open road … always in the power band … 500 ft-lb from 1500 - 5750. Great throttle response and a perfect match for the DCT.

I picked up the M5 this year European delivery in Munich and spent 3 weeks driving the car through Germany, Austria and Italy … from the Autobahn to the tightest mountain passes. It is a heavy car … you can really feel it under braking and it has to be wrestled around tight corners … not agile, that's for sure. But it wasn't built for that anyway. For it's size and weight it handles well, especially if suspension is in Sport+ and is easy to drive even at the limit. If you're looking for a fast and luxurious daily driver, it's a great car. If you want sports car like handling, I'd look elsewhere.

As far as interior … well, not to sound mean, but the C63's interior is not even in the same zip code as the M5. Mine has full leather interior … heated, ventilated and massage seats … HUD … lane assist … blind spot assist … top view camera … speed limit info displayed on HUD … soft close doors … 4-zone climate control … power rear sunshade … btw, just compare the NAV screen in both cars

As far as reliability … so far not one problem. Had to bring her in twice for scheduled service. This is my 5th M … last one was an E63 M6 which I owned for 3 years and besides regular service, the power amplifier for the stereo had to be exchanged under warranty.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by SMP
I own both a CLK63 BS and an M5. The F10 M5 is my daily and I have M1 programmed to Sport+ for steering, Sport+ for transmission and Sport+ for engine, which means TC off but I still have MDM. The difference in traction between the 2 cars is not even close … and the M5 pulls harder than my CLK. The CLK is really tail happy and even in 3rd gear the *** is all over the place … in comparison, my M5 is docile in the most aggressive settings. It's a very effortless car to drive, whether in traffic or on the open road … always in the power band … 500 ft-lb from 1500 - 5750. Great throttle response and a perfect match for the DCT. I picked up the M5 this year European delivery in Munich and spent 3 weeks driving the car through Germany, Austria and Italy … from the Autobahn to the tightest mountain passes. It is a heavy car … you can really feel it under braking and it has to be wrestled around tight corners … not agile, that's for sure. But it wasn't built for that anyway. For it's size and weight it handles well, especially if suspension is in Sport+ and is easy to drive even at the limit. If you're looking for a fast and luxurious daily driver, it's a great car. If you want sports car like handling, I'd look elsewhere. As far as interior … well, not to sound mean, but the C63's interior is not even in the same zip code as the M5. Mine has full leather interior … heated, ventilated and massage seats … HUD … lane assist … blind spot assist … top view camera … speed limit info displayed on HUD … soft close doors … 4-zone climate control … power rear sunshade … btw, just compare the NAV screen in both cars As far as reliability … so far not one problem. Had to bring her in twice for scheduled service. This is my 5th M … last one was an E63 M6 which I owned for 3 years and besides regular service, the power amplifier for the stereo had to be exchanged under warranty.
Ive never been in a clk bs so i cant say anything in comparison to that. I guess it comes down to preference. I'll take my Touaregs interior over the M5. The M5 is the family car that just me and my dad drives. My dad has a bigger smile on his face driving my C63, which has just a tune. Not sure how much you push your M5, but mine has slipped plenty of times and the back has come out on turns way too much to the point where I would have to lay off the gas the rest of the way home. Dont get me wrong I like the M5, but its not much fun to drive for me. I guess I prefer smaller cars like the C63, M3 rather than M5 or E63. I have my M5 under the same settings as you and it does do well for its size, but I was only comparing it to the C63.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:59 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Ive never been in a clk bs so i cant say anything in comparison to that. I guess it comes down to preference. I'll take my Touaregs interior over the M5. The M5 is the family car that just me and my dad drives. My dad has a bigger smile on his face driving my C63, which has just a tune. Not sure how much you push your M5, but mine has slipped plenty of times and the back has come out on turns way too much to the point where I would have to lay off the gas the rest of the way home. Dont get me wrong I like the M5, but its not much fun to drive for me. I guess I prefer smaller cars like the C63, M3 rather than M5 or E63. I have my M5 under the same settings as you and it does do well for its size, but I was only comparing it to the C63.
Since I was born in Germany and grew up there, I'm scared of pushing my cars to the limit and drive like a sissy … that's why I drive it in those settings in all weather conditions … couple of pics driving over the Grossglockner in Austria. Notice the road conditions, no guard rails and no speed limit at 8200 ft altitude?

You probably missed it in my post, but I already said that the M5 is not in the same ball park when it comes to handling compared with smaller, lighter and more agile cars. It would also be silly for me to compare it to my last Porsche, a 997.2TT PDK, which had all the traction in the world and handling characteristics only a sports car can deliver. Again, the M5 is a fast luxo cruiser. By just looking at the size it's quite obvious, at least to me. I set it sideways a few times in 3rd gear … but that's what I like compared to all wheel drive cars … I drive the car, not the other way around
Attached Thumbnails Age old question. M3 or C63 or M5-dsc00017.jpg   Age old question. M3 or C63 or M5-dsc00021.jpg   Age old question. M3 or C63 or M5-dsc00059.jpg   Age old question. M3 or C63 or M5-dsc00063.jpg  
Old 12-27-2013, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by SMP
Since I was born in Germany and grew up there, I'm scared of pushing my cars to the limit and drive like a sissy … that's why I drive it in those settings in all weather conditions … couple of pics driving over the Grossglockner in Austria. Notice the road conditions, no guard rails and no speed limit at 8200 ft altitude? You probably missed it in my post, but I already said that the M5 is not in the same ball park when it comes to handling compared with smaller, lighter and more agile cars. It would also be silly for me to compare it to my last Porsche, a 997.2TT PDK, which had all the traction in the world and handling characteristics only a sports car can deliver. Again, the M5 is a fast luxo cruiser. By just looking at the size it's quite obvious, at least to me. I set it sideways a few times in 3rd gear … but that's what I like compared to all wheel drive cars … I drive the car, not the other way around
Didnt see you were from Germany lol I'm on my phone. I grew up in a family that participated in rally car races so no guard rail and that elevation is a piece of cake. I agree that the M5 is a fast cruiser and just that. Boring car and even though it responds well, its no comparison to the C63. Not saying the C63 is better but you just cant compare the two. To the OP, either decide between C63 or m3. If you have M5 money, there are better choices out there!!!

Last edited by w204nyc; 12-27-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:34 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Didnt see you were from Germany lol I'm on my phone. I grew up in a family that participated in rally car races so no guard rail and that elevation is a piece of cake. I agree that the M5 is a fast cruiser and just that. Boring car and even though it responds well, it will not do what you want it to do.
I live in SoCal now … but go to Europe twice a year on vacation.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by SMP
I live in SoCal now … but go to Europe twice a year on vacation.
I visit family every now and again but have never been on the autobahn. I would go crazy if I got the chance to ride there!
Old 12-27-2013, 09:20 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
I visit family every now and again but have never been on the autobahn. I would go crazy if I got the chance to ride there!
You should come with me one day … the Autobahn is not what it used to be though. There are still "no speed limit" sections, but in between, you'll have some limited speed sections which suck. It also depends on the time of day, location and season … I hit big time traffic often when I'm over there. However, when you can open up the car to top speed, the Autobahn is smooth as glass and the other drivers actually look into their rear view mirror and move over. This is where the M5 shines … pulls like a freight train but is very stable and quiet at top speed. Perfect for covering long distances very effortlessly in comfort.

But all that top speed fun comes with a price when it's time to pull over for gas … it's crazy what they charge for a liter compared to a gallon here

BTW, if you in Germany, make sure you visit all the car museums. Mercedes has the best by far, second is Porsche and third BMW.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by SMP
You should come with me one day … the Autobahn is not what it used to be though. There are still "no speed limit" sections, but in between, you'll have some limited speed sections which suck. It also depends on the time of day, location and season … I hit big time traffic often when I'm over there. However, when you can open up the car to top speed, the Autobahn is smooth as glass and the other drivers actually look into their rear view mirror and move over. This is where the M5 shines … pulls like a freight train but is very stable and quiet at top speed. Perfect for covering long distances very effortlessly in comfort. But all that top speed fun comes with a price when it's time to pull over for gas … it's crazy what they charge for a liter compared to a gallon here BTW, if you in Germany, make sure you visit all the car museums. Mercedes has the best by far, second is Porsche and third BMW.
Hopefully one day I can go and test the famous autobahn.