Help Needed! Coupe Door Trim Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 P31 Coupe Blk/blk
Question Help Needed! Coupe Door Trim Removal

Hi all:

I'm in the process of removing the interior aluminum trim on my '12 C63 Coupe. I used the DIY on this forum but it's for a 4-door and possibly pre-facelift car. The dash trim came off pretty easily. And removing the door panels was way easier than expected. What I'm stuck at now is actually removing the metal trim pieces from the panel.

1) I've attached some pics of back and you'll see it's very different than previous models. Instead of hex nut, the long piece is attached with locking washers (not sure what to call 'em) which I'm bending as I remove them by prying. Is there an easier, better way to remove them?

2) The smaller piece is held on by something that I have no idea what they are! They almost look like glued on rivets. Any ideas??

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Help Needed!  Coupe Door Trim Removal-long-piece.jpg   Help Needed!  Coupe Door Trim Removal-small-piece.jpg  
Old 01-15-2014, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Looking at the picture these are some type of rivet.
But what part of the trim is this? I cannot locate where you at?
Post broader pics to see what you are trying to do.

edit: actually these are not rivets ....

Last edited by abcut973; 01-15-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:44 PM

Better pics...hopefully!

Yeah, sorry--those pics were useless.

Just to be perfectly clear...I've attached pics of the front of the door panel to highlight which metal trim I'm trying to remove.

Also, on the back of the door panel, I've circled in red the locking washers that need to be removed. You'll notice that I've removed the 2 furthest to the left...but I'm definitely bending them as I pry them off.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Help Needed!  Coupe Door Trim Removal-door-panel-front.jpg   Help Needed!  Coupe Door Trim Removal-door-panel-back.jpg   Help Needed!  Coupe Door Trim Removal-door-panel-back-2.jpg  
Old 01-15-2014, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Gotcha now.
Well the facelift coupe trim is definitely different. I don't remember having so many torx to remove when i wrapped my trim. Plus in your case these are some tricky nuts!
no idea how best you can remove those. There might be a technic but i cannot help you since my car is different.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:24 PM

Thanks for taking a look at it anyway. It's absurd that they replaced simple nuts with these crazy looking fasteners. Maybe someone else will know?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:40 PM

Thumbs up

Well...finally figured it out. I was going about it the wrong way--the long trim piece on the door is fastened with the push on lock washers.

The small piece around the seat/memory switches just pops off (after the one torx bolt from the back is removed)...from the top forward corner only. The switches come out with it. And then you pop the switches out of the piece. Hope this helps anyone else doing trim removal!

Unfortunately, I broke some of the black plastic pieces on the back of the door panel (apparently plastic welds) in attempting to remove the trim. Nothing seems loose but I'll put some super glue on there just in case.

Outside of that...it seems like I just need 2 of the orange fasteners and 2 of the square locking fastener.

Cheers!