Car had to be towed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by estrellajon
Although I agree with AMG engineers designing and making a superb motor, it's no different than any other combustion engine whether it's a V8, V6, I4, I6, flat6/4 etc. The process of burning fuel is the same. No need to be an AMG engineer/mechanic to work on one as long the person has engine building knowledge.

the conundrum is the software, the most critical part of the system, ie, the control system...otherwise it's just a bunch of parts

unless you have access to the entire system, all the inputs, outputs and their relationships (PID controllers, set point reset methods, adaptive algorithms, etc.) almost anything that is done will throw something else out of tolerance

why can't someone just do a comparison of the M156 software in the E63 and C63 to come up with good software (like AMG did, although all they did was de-tune the C63)
Old 02-08-2014, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 ///AMG P30
Originally Posted by TTA850
MaroonC63, sorry to hear of your issues these cars really are perfect with a few mods. Flashing CEL only occurs when conditions exist which could result in possible catalytic converter damage. The CEL as most things today is mostly emissions based.
Agreed. CEL is definitely emission related detecting that fuel is either running rich or lean. If the car is running rich (too much fuel) for a long period you have the chance to overheat the catalytic converters due to fuel burn at this point. Running lean (more air than fuel ) is the real enemy. It can run So hot that It can burn your your pistons heads .
Old 02-08-2014, 10:21 PM

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
2013 C63
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
too quiet? really? It seems pretty loud for a street car

you generally don't get a PhD in engineering if you can't solve problems

I know who Yunick is, old school, and did as much rule manipulation as he did innovative engineering...

Ford worked as an engineer for Edison,
his best work came when he was 45 (model T)
his education was the 25 years leading up to that point
ever hear of Adrian Newey?

'improved' requires definition...was his car improved?
just because a few non-technical sorts think it is an improvement does not make it so...some power in excess of what already can't be used at the expense of efficiency, reliability, warranty, value, etc., would not be considered an 'improvement' by many

many times compromise is the best solution
a big part of engineering is deciding what compromises to make
in order for the total package to be optimized
reeeelaxxxxxx
Old 02-08-2014, 10:25 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by izzy63
reeeelaxxxxxx

chilllllllllllllllllllllllll.............

you can't sense anxiety levels over the internet
Old 02-08-2014, 10:32 PM

C63 ///AMG P30
the conundrum is the software, the most critical part of the system, ie, the control system...otherwise it's just a bunch of parts unless you have access to the entire system, all the inputs, outputs and their relationships (PID controllers, set point reset methods, adaptive algorithms, etc.) almost anything that is done will throw something else out of tolerance why can't someone just do a comparison of the M156 software in the E63 and C63 to come up with good software (like AMG did, although all they did was de-tune the C63)
Yes you're absolutely correct. Engine management software is key in today's engines. The software from these car manufacturers ensures that everything mechanical works as it should. Any mechanical engine upgrade especially force induction will need reliable software updates. A bad software tune can be as catastrophic as any mechanical upgrade gone bad.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by estrellajon
Yes you're absolutely correct. Engine management software is key in today's engines. The software from these car manufacturers ensures that everything mechanical works as it should. Any mechanical engine upgrade especially force induction will need reliable software updates. A bad software tune can be as catastrophic as any mechanical upgrade gone bad.

and mfgs are getting better at protecting their Intellectual Property, making it difficult to access the whole package

it seems as if they are bugging the sw to cause issues if non-mfg changes are detected

even 10 years ago the coding was pretty crude, but now it's state of the art and usually written by firms like Bosch, Siemens, etc. (obviously with close assistance and functional direction by the mfg)

mfgs can log 1000's of hours of dyno, road and track data on many different cars of the same type and use it to refine the sw...something that is not practical for the aftermarket

they can run it on a dyno with a computer controlling throttle/load while making real ime changes to optimize the system

Last edited by Ingenieur; 02-08-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004.7 C180 Kompressor, BMW X5, Chevrolet Camaro LT, Mercedes S, Cesna 152.
Originally Posted by SheryarYO
?

Only advice/answer he gave him was to revert his car back to stock...unless I missed something. I am slightly inebriated at the moment so I may be wrong though.

Car is great stock, but there's always more you can get out of it. Obviously OP wanted to take that route since he gladly shelled out the money for it. Don't see how telling him to go back to stock and not mess with it at all is helpful advice...

If I had any knowledge at all on the matter I'd chime in, but I don't so I just hope it all works out. I'm assuming all the work was done at EC and it can all get resolved as hassle free as possible.
They MB, spent a lot of time and money engineering there cars, amg then take it another step, just enjoy it as it was made from the factory. Most of the whinges / complaints on this forum come from people fiddling with the original equipment / and modifying. If they spent their money wisely, just maintaining their ride, they would be happier & richer for the experience in the long run. My opinion, each to there own!

Last edited by mercedes4ever; 02-09-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Hard to understand how they didnt install the collector to the mids correctly?? There is only 2 flanges. One connects header to mid and mid to the back portion of the exhaust...

Something would have to be royally messed up. Has to be something more going on.

Engineer, thanks for the life lesson there bud, you're a real hero. Must be a pretty decent engineer if you're rolling in a used C63.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:50 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,419 Likes on 2,857 Posts
2012 CLS63
Thumbs up

you have a 2013 P31 C63 and monkeyed around with it?
headers? cats? software (the heart of the system)?
for all that is good and holy why man, why!!!???
the oem exhaust note is one of, if not, the best around
put everything back to stock and see how it runs...I'm guessing better

for all the junior birdman engineers who think they can out think AMG, do this:
get educated at a top notch school for 8 years for a PhD in mechanical engineering specializing in hipo combustion engines and powertrains

aquire 10-20 years of progressively responsible experience in the field

get a job with AMG and spend 5-10 years there

then leave and start a business
like the guy at RennTech
then you may have some credentials which lead to credibility

ignore ANY check light at your own peril
Old 02-09-2014, 09:04 AM

2015 E63S AMG & 2013 GLK350
too quiet? really? It seems pretty loud for a street car

many times compromise is the best solution
a big part of engineering is deciding what compromises to make
in order for the total package to be optimized
I get what your saying, just two things - if you think the C63 is loud for a street car you haven't been around many modified street cars. It is somewhat loud for stock car but still very quiet.

And the problem I have with the compromises manufactures make is they are usually related to laws regarding emissions and fuel economy not what the consumer wants. Take a look at the M156 exhaust manifolds/placements and amount of cats and you'll see what I mean.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:00 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by Merc63
Hard to understand how they didnt install the collector to the mids correctly?? There is only 2 flanges. One connects header to mid and mid to the back portion of the exhaust...

Something would have to be royally messed up. Has to be something more going on.

Engineer, thanks for the life lesson there bud, you're a real hero. Must be a pretty decent engineer if you're rolling in a used C63.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Merc63

At least I didn't mod a new car and break it
I prefer to invest my money in other than depreciating commodities...I usually end up breaking even on cars or at worst spend afew hundred per month driving them

My current car I paid 43k cpo'ed with 15k miles, new tires, brakes and a good trade in on my 88k RS4
I think I did allright

I do not judge a mans worth on his earnings but since you apparently do I made 285k last year (150k of it banked)
Not as much as you ballers but I eek out a meager existence

Last edited by Ingenieur; 02-09-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:17 PM

2013 C63
At least I didn't mod a new car and break it
I prefer to invest my money in other than depreciating commodities...I usually end up breaking even on cars or at worst spend afew hundred per month driving them

My current car I paid 43k cpo'ed with 15k miles, new tires, brakes and a good trade in on my 88k RS4
I think I did allright

I do not judge a mans worth on his earnings but since you apparently do I made 285k last year (150k of it banked)
Not as much as you ballers but I eek out a meager existence
this guy hahahahaahaahahahahahaahahah
Old 02-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by izzy63
this guy hahahahaahaahahahahahaahahah
This guy ....

Contributes nothing but insipid drivel
Try breathing thru your nose
The extra O2 may improve your brain function

You know what is really funny?
Taking a 70k car and rendering unusable
A perfect 2013 C63 that has to be trailered and that the dealer may refuse to work on
Ha ha
Real funny huh??
Damn shame the op cant enjoy his machine

OP revert to stock and enjoy your car
I would not trust the people who fked it up

Last edited by Ingenieur; 02-09-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by hyperion667
They just don't get it
They delude themselves thinking they can make it 'better'
Old 02-09-2014, 07:42 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by mercedes4ever
Ingenieur has given him excellent advice, sure its HIS car, but so f#@king what? He asked the question... Ingenieur answered it with logic and commensense.
Thanks
These types (think they) are smarter than everyone and (in actuality are smarter than) no one at the same time

Last edited by Ingenieur; 02-09-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:18 PM

08 C63 AMG, 08 ML550, 07 F150, 02 Subaru Legacy, John Deere TLB
??
Old 02-09-2014, 08:48 PM

2013 C63
This guy ....

Contributes nothing but insipid drivel
Try breathing thru your nose
The extra O2 may improve your brain function

You know what is really funny?
Taking a 70k car and rendering unusable
A perfect 2013 C63 that has to be trailered and that the dealer may refuse to work on
Ha ha
Real funny huh??
Damn shame the op cant enjoy his machine

OP revert to stock and enjoy your car
I would not trust the people who fked it up
umad?
Old 02-09-2014, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Barolo red C63 AMG (SOLD).13' P31 c63 coupe 2012 porsche panamera
Lol mbworld threads always have a way into turning into a "mine is bigger than yours" contest. Anyways, Everything has been resolved and everything is being dealt with respectively and thats all i was asking for in the first place. This industry is cruel and evil, but you do get a good seed every once in a while. So i would like to thank and apologize to Jerry and Rick publicly, for going above and beyond when it wasn't their fault AT ALL, they did everything they could and hopefully things will look better for them. I never mentioned the shop's name, but people already figured it out.

Thanks for everyones help and comments.

Last edited by MaroonC63; 02-09-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004.7 C180 Kompressor, BMW X5, Chevrolet Camaro LT, Mercedes S, Cesna 152.
Originally Posted by MaroonC63
Lol mbworld threads always have a way into turning into a "mine is bigger than yours" contest. Anyways, Everything has been resolved and everything is being dealt with respectively and thats all i was asking for in the first place. This industry is cruel and evil, but you do get a good seed every once in a while. So i would like to thank and apologize to Jerry and Rick publicly, for going above and beyond when it wasn't their fault AT ALL, they did everything they could and hopefully things will look better for them. I never mentioned the shop's name, but people already figured it out.

Another lesson learned! Maybe next time you will let "the shop" have right of reply first, by giving them the chance to remedy, before posting your grievances on a forum? The old adage... "shoot first ask questions later", can see someone in court for slander / defamation. Hope you enjoy your track time!
Old 02-10-2014, 02:41 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 C63S coupe '09 C63, '15 Durango RT, '14 Jeep SRT8
Originally Posted by mercedes4ever
Another lesson learned! Maybe next time you will let "the shop" have right of reply first, by giving them the chance to remedy, before posting your grievances on a forum? The old adage... "shoot first ask questions later", can see someone in court for slander / defamation. Hope you enjoy your track time!
Although I agree with you, sometimes it takes creating a thread to force them to step iin and take care of the problem to avoid losing future clients. This was not the case though he never mention the shop!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Barolo red C63 AMG (SOLD).13' P31 c63 coupe 2012 porsche panamera
Originally Posted by w204nyc
Although I agree with you, sometimes it takes creating a thread to force them to step iin and take care of the problem to avoid losing future clients. This was not the case though he never mention the shop!
Very correct. More than enough chances are given,it helps them more than hurts them,catching the problem quicker is always the key.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:49 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,419 Likes on 2,857 Posts
2012 CLS63
yum
Old 02-10-2014, 07:56 AM

C63 ///AMG P30
Originally Posted by hyperion667
yum
H
Mhmmmm. Yum
Old 02-10-2014, 10:07 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by MaroonC63

Thanks for bringing this mess to our attention and we are glad we were able to step in and make things right!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car had to be towed