C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Carbonio ariboxes+Cold Air Intake= 22 WHP

Old 02-19-2014, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Kriston
Who Said I paid 2 Grand for an air box?
Bang! I was quoted a "research air box" from them for quite a bit less than $2k as well.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Originally Posted by Kriston
Who Said I paid 2 Grand for an air box?
i didnt mean you i meant in general, i'm just saying thats the cost of the carboino ones is like $1900+ shipping ..not sure what the other companies charge
Old 02-19-2014, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by avery.whss
i didnt mean you i meant in general, i'm just saying thats the cost of the carboino ones is like $1900+ shipping ..not sure what the other companies charge
lol yeah carbonio said "we have one left we can discount as a research system, cost is $x,xxx.xx, let me know". Was way less than $1900 + shipping I can tell you that, but at the end of the day, I knew they were merely aesthetic so I didn't bite.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C63S E.1
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
The carbon definitely makes the engine bay look good. And then those blue couplers make it seem cheap IMO. I would go with some black ones.
Originally Posted by Autosport7
I agree here. The intake is masterful in the appearance department!
On a side note, can the center plastic piece be reinstalled after the Carbonio intake is in place? That area looks terrible with the cover left off.
I forgot to install the center part, I'll install it and upload new pix

OP can I ask what cf side vents you have, they seem to look a bit different than the overbearing ones I typically see.
it's a CF wrap
Old 02-20-2014, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by clichere1
I forgot to install the center part, I'll install it and upload new pix

it's a CF wrap
Oh, ohhhhh, I see. Can you take an up close pic of those vents? I think I really like what I see but can't tell at that distance. I just don't like the ones you can buy as they are just way overdone. I would like for just the actual fins themselves to be cf, wonder if I can have those made somewhere...?
Old 04-09-2014, 07:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ml55, Ml63, Porsche, C63S ED1
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Now that is a much more likely scenario and the one I have come to believe, although debunking myths and speaking the truth is unfortunately rather unpopular in places like these (i.e. automotive forums) where there is a lot of money to be made from snake oil and wishful thinking. People need to believe that they are getting something other than a cosmetic upgrade for their $2.5K that no one except for them is even going to see and can actually rob their engines of power at lower RPMs.

Airboxes nowadays are designed as resonant systems, just like loudspeaker enclosures. You have to take into account compressible fluid mechanics and resonance patterns and optimize the design with CFD modelling, which is what MB does. I have yet to hear of any aftermarket tuner than does this. Unless you properly design the airbox to cancel out and minimize pressure changes at the intake port during the intake stroke (when you have low pressure as the engine sucks in air) and the compression/power/exhaust strokes (normal atmospheric pressure) and then tune the engine (adjust the fuel) for the amount of air you're delivering, you're not creating any additional power and quite possibly doing just the opposite in the mid-band. If your engine note changes and gets louder as a result of your aftermarket airbox, it's because you now have larger pressure changes (and thus sound) in the airbox as a result and you are making it more difficult for the engine to suck in the optimum amount of air. That results in a net power loss, not gain. You may gain 2-3 HP at the top end, but it comes at the expense of losing power in the midrange.

As for the material they're made of, the higher the thermal insulation of the airbox the less the engine will heat up the air as it goes in (denser air = more power). If it was structurally and mechanically feasible, an airbox made of styrofoam or porcelain would provide better thermal insulation and more gains than the same airbox made from plastics. CF is even worse as it generally has very high thermal conductivity.

So - could someone "in the know" please explain to me where these alleged power gains are coming from? I would really love to hear it.

<end rant>
It sounds like it makes sense, but then again my friend posted a video in comparison.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by ruey220
It sounds like it makes sense, but then again my friend posted a video in comparison.

In Living Color - YouTube

If what you're saying is that you don't understand what I am writing about, that's perfectly fine, but just because something is way too much for you to comprehend doesn't make it untrue or gibberish. It merely reflects your lack of knowledge on the subject. You might want to Google "airbox design" and see what comes up.

If that's not what you are implying, then I am the one at a loss as I have no idea what it is that you're trying to say. You might want to try using simpler, shorter words as communication is obviously not your strong suit either.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:59 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Its definitely easy to gain a few top end hp while losing low and mid range torque and slightly reducing the "area under the curve". A lot of mods come with trade off's that are often not considered. It's not hard to go backwards.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by clichere1

I just installed Carbonio ariboxes along with JL motoring Cold Air Intake, and this setup gave me 22 WHP & 18.5 HP torque

Originally Posted by mthis
Congrats that's a nice gain. I have the same set up and gained me .2 in 1/4 mile.

Why Is your tq so low . With 489 rw u should be over 440tq on dyno jet .

clichere1,

Bro, How ya been. its been a while since I heard from you. I hope you are well. I did not know you were back in Qatar.

A few things need to be noted. First of all, I know the dyno shop that you went to in Salwa Road, Motorsports which belongs to Mohamaed Albasti. Its the most inacurrate dyno in Qatar, end of story, dont let him fool you and tell you otherwise. Mohamad is known to fluctuate corrections and load factors and minipulate his customers.

Second, I have the carbonio intake installed on MY SL63 for almost 4 years now as everybody propabley knows. You will not gain 22whp from the carbonio and the intake. Trust me bro, that is impossible. The fact that you took the car on another day, is evident enough the operater changed the load and correction factors.

If you really want to know how much you gained, give me a call this weekend. I'll be going to a much better dyno (Dynojet 224) and I'll take you with me. We will swap your stock airboxes and stock intake and run the dyno. Afterwards, we will install back your carbonio and JLM intake and we will see the gains on the same correction, same day, and same conditions.

I'll tell you right now, the gains are going to be within 5-10whp max

Most of the gains come from removing the charcoal elements which are restrective and freeing up the air inlets and removing the resrictive housing. The Carbonio doesnt come with these things and thats why you see the gains on US spec cars. However, if you had installed the airboxes that are from the rest of the world "ROW' that come without thses restrictions from factory (like the cars from "gulf spec"). You will see similar gains. I can also show you this on the dyno

Call me and I can take you with me this Saturday bro

Last edited by Jacob-63; 04-10-2014 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C63S E.1
Originally Posted by Jacob-63
clichere1,

Bro, How ya been. its been a while since I heard from you. I hope you are well. I did not know you were back in Qatar.

A few things need to be noted. First of all, I know the dyno shop that you went to in Salwa Road, Motorsports which belongs to Mohamaed Albasti. Its the most inacurrate dyno in Qatar, end of story, dont let him fool you and tell you otherwise. Mohamad is known to fluctuate corrections and load factors and minipulate his customers.

Second, I have the carbonio intake installed on MY SL63 for almost 4 years now as everybody propabley knows. You will not gain 22whp from the carbonio and the intake. Trust me bro, that is impossible. The fact that you took the car on another day, is evident enough the operater changed the load and correction factors.

If you really want to know how much you gained, give me a call this weekend. I'll be going to a much better dyno (Dynojet 224) and I'll take you with me. We will swap your stock airboxes and stock intake and run the dyno. Afterwards, we will install back your carbonio and JLM intake and we will see the gains on the same correction, same day, and same conditions.

I'll tell you right now, the gains are going to be within 5-10whp max

Most of the gains come from removing the charcoal elements which are restrective and freeing up the air inlets and removing the resrictive housing. The Carbonio doesnt come with these things and thats why you see the gains on US spec cars. However, if you had installed the airboxes that are from the rest of the world "ROW' that come without thses restrictions from factory (like the cars from "gulf spec"). You will see similar gains. I can also show you this on the dyno

Call me and I can take you with me this Saturday bro
It's nice to contact you Jacob. Thanx for letting me know about the dyno I used to go to. I'll try to go for the dyno you showed me next week. The weather is getting warmer now so there might be also more reduced gains.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Man looking at your engine bay the amount of dust/sand you guys accumulate other there !! I would be cleaning my engine everyday like a paranoid .
Old 04-17-2014, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by abcut973
Man looking at your engine bay the amount of dust/sand you guys accumulate other there !! I would be cleaning my engine everyday like a paranoid .
Grrr stop posting, so jelly over your sig mod list!!!
Old 04-17-2014, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Grrr stop posting, so jelly over your sig mod list!!!
lol!! One more for you
Old 04-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
mbworld
Hi gents. Thank you for your support. Our AMG 63 intake employes a few ideas that I'd like to share with you today.

We designed the AMG 63 intake to fit just like the factory intake system and engine cover. We realize that many AMG owners want to preserve the OEM look but also want to enhance their engine compartment. We believe that our intake accomplishes that objective.

Our intake eliminates the need for carbon air filters, which helps increase airflow into the engine. Those carbon air filters also act as sound absorbers in the intake system.

The AMG63 engine takes up quite a bit of space under the hood. We have eliminated all restrictions in the air intake and increased the height and width of our carbon fiber airboxes which creates a larger plenum and we include genuine K&N air filters with our AMG intake systems.

From our dyno runs we have determined that our AMG63 intake produces 18hp.

Please keep in mind that there are many variables that can affect how an engine performs (ie. altitude, humidity, fuel, ECU programming, etc.) and there is no "absolute standard". It is possible that different vehicles will respond differently to any aftermarket product.

We realize that our products do not cater to everyone, but we hope that our customers are satisfied with the work and quality that goes into each and every product we sell.

I would also like to add that if you have any questions about our products please feel free to contact us, you can find all of our contact info at www.carbonio.com
Old 04-22-2014, 10:49 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
One has to subtract the 10hp gained from just upgraded filters and carbon delete. The real gains are closer to 10hp once you subtract out the carbon filter delete and upgraded air filters.

Once you do that the gains aren't that impressive.... But it sure does look pretty!
Old 04-22-2014, 01:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by Carbonio
Hi gents. Thank you for your support. Our AMG 63 intake employes a few ideas that I'd like to share with you today.

We designed the AMG 63 intake to fit just like the factory intake system and engine cover. We realize that many AMG owners want to preserve the OEM look but also want to enhance their engine compartment. We believe that our intake accomplishes that objective.

Our intake eliminates the need for carbon air filters, which helps increase airflow into the engine. Those carbon air filters also act as sound absorbers in the intake system.

The AMG63 engine takes up quite a bit of space under the hood. We have eliminated all restrictions in the air intake and increased the height and width of our carbon fiber airboxes which creates a larger plenum and we include genuine K&N air filters with our AMG intake systems.

From our dyno runs we have determined that our AMG63 intake produces 18hp.

Please keep in mind that there are many variables that can affect how an engine performs (ie. altitude, humidity, fuel, ECU programming, etc.) and there is no "absolute standard". It is possible that different vehicles will respond differently to any aftermarket product.

We realize that our products do not cater to everyone, but we hope that our customers are satisfied with the work and quality that goes into each and every product we sell.

I would also like to add that if you have any questions about our products please feel free to contact us, you can find all of our contact info at www.carbonio.com
I remembered reading somewhere that you designed the intake to enhance the "venturi" effect. Is this true? And if so please explain how it helps
Old 04-22-2014, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ML63 AMG
One has to subtract the 10hp gained from just upgraded filters and carbon delete. The real gains are closer to 10hp once you subtract out the carbon filter delete and upgraded air filters.

Once you do that the gains aren't that impressive.... But it sure does look pretty!
Ding! Ding! Ditto.....

I wish the Renntech one didn't come with the tax.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by Ezec63
I remembered reading somewhere that you designed the intake to enhance the "venturi" effect. Is this true? And if so please explain how it helps
While I have no idea whether this particular airbox uses a venturi, its only purpose in cars that use it is to reduce the intake noise. It will not affect the actual amount of air that is delivered to the airbox, and thus has no effect on the performance.

The Porsche 928 and some MB & BMW cars have used venturi tubes for a long time to feed the airbox.

P.S. A couple of discussions are at http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...advantage.html and http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-672474.html.

Last edited by Diabolis; 04-23-2014 at 12:56 AM.