Sponsored by:

Better Track Tire Than PSS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2014 | 03:39 PM
b16

2009 C63, 2000 ML 430, 1994 Del Sol Vtec
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Probably because very few people actually track their C63, and of those even fewer do it often enough to justify buying a set of proper R-comps. If you're really into HPDE track events, chances are that after the first couple of weekends out you'll realize that the C63 is not the ideal tool for the job and you'll end up getting something more suitable. As fun as the C63 is around the track, it is much too heavy and too expensive of a car to beat around on an ongoing basis.

If anyone wants a set of one-track-day-old R888s for the C63 that fit the OEM 18" wheels, I may have a set for sale.
LOL..

Agreed, however the R888 is a spec tire for a lot of road racing so HPDE in anything with 4 wheels, this is a common tire. They can also be used on the street. :P

Weight and $$ is the reason I toss around a mid 90's honda civic for track days. lol
Old 04-01-2014 | 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Yup - they come in the right sizes and are actually quite decent for a heavy car like the C63. Over the years I've ran various R-comp Toyos, Hoosiers, (discarded) Michelins, Kumho Victoracers and Yokohamas, but I've easily bought twice as many Toyo RA1s and R888s as everything else combined. They're a great tire for the $ that you can drive to and from the track to boot.

When I was seriously getting into the HPDE thing some 15 years ago, I remember going to Mosport when they had professional races to go through the garbage looking for used rubber. It was amazing what the pro teams sometimes used to throw out. There was one weekend when I came back with three full sets of 24/64-18 and 27/65-18 Michelins that had tons of life left and in turn lasted me for six full DE weekends. I also remember some Porsche GT3 Cup drivers arriving at the track in their Mercedes SL convertibles.