Test Drive of 2013 C63 AMG on Sunday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
2022 4 Runner Pro, supercharged and lifted Lime Rush, 2018 E63s wagon Edition 1
Test Drive of 2013 C63 AMG on Sunday

Hi All,

I just registered here because I may be the owner of a C63 if I can get a good trade-in on my 2012 IS F and if they're willing to knock the price down for the 2013 C63 sedan. The Merc is really loaded and has the Development package, LS, and a bunch of other stuff. It's Polar White with porcelain interior. Anyway, I still owe around $44k on the IS F so we'll see what the dealership will offer me. Now, I have some questions on the C63 and I am hoping you folks can help me. Here they are:

1. Is the talk of electric/electronic gremlins really as pervasive as some say?
2. How is the oil consumption?
3. Any tranny/engine issues (again, heard this from other forums)
4. Is the maintenance schedule more intensive than most or is it just oil/filter @ 5k, tranny fluid @ 30k, etc.?
5. Is the depreciation of the C63 really "brutal" as someone put it?

Sorry for this long-winded thread but this is an important decision as this will be my last "Hurrah" as far as performance cars is concerned as I am 57 now and hope to retire by 62. By the way, my IS F has been great and returns an average of 19+ mpg and I drive it in manual mode once it's warmed up. It has less than 10k miles and is immaculate. Am I crazy for considering this? Anyway, I thank everyone in advance for any help or advice before I make a final decision.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
I have always liked the IS-F. May I ask why you're looking to trade? considering you still owe $44K on it, you may end up having to roll some negative equity into the C63 because I don't see the dealer offering you anything above $40K on your trade-in, no matter how low the miles are...they may work with you on pricing though since dealers are keen to get the last C63s off their lots (especially if this is a brand new 2013 still sitting on the lot.)

That said, here are my responses to your questions:

1) Not any more than any other German sedan - which is to say you should expect some, but nothing too crazy (the errant CEL that appears then disappears, wacked sensors, etc.)
2) I had some oil consumption on my 2009 sedan - to the tune of about 1 quart every several thousand miles. I haven't had the same issues with my 12 coupe.
3) None to speak of though some members report the tranny overheating during track days (resorting to the car going into limp mode until cool down.)
4) Maintenance schedule is pretty straightforward - just follow the manufacturer's schedule.
5) If you buy one brand new, it's absolutely brutal. Expect 15%-20% in the first year alone though it seems to level off from there. I'd recommend you consider a low mileage/CPO car to save yourself the depreciation.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:35 PM

Thanks for your response BK63amg. There is nothing wrong with my IS F as it runs strong and has no issues. The C63 AMG has always been a vehicle that I admired but I was scared away from it due to the class action lawsuit concerning the head bolts (model year 2009-2011) but at this point those have been resolved. I just though that if I can work a good deal, it would be fun to have. It's a want not a need so if things don't work out I'll just keep the F. You know, I looked for CPOs and could not find any (with low miles) in my area. If things don't work out with the dealership I'll continue to look though and maybe sell my F private party as it is worth about $51k this way.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'17 MB G63 AMG
Agree with BK...

I would add that the 2013 MY is near the end life cycle for this particular model (C63 - W204). As a result, the 2013 MY should be well sorted (reliable). I'd say this car will bring you a lot of joy and comfort in ownership. Expect significantly worse fuel economy (unless you can control the loud pedal), and expect to purchase new tires about twice as often as you would for the IS F. That's the price we must pay to own the last of the big displacement, normally aspirated engines from MB. Enjoy this icon!

My view is life is shorter than you think. I see that you own a 4X4 for inclement weather, so owning the C63 should not be an issue for you...
I say go for and don't look back.

GL/Cheers,

B
Old 04-12-2014, 02:51 PM

Hello BenDiem,

And thanks for your reply and encouraging words! I agree that life is short and sometimes we just have to do things that make others scratch their heads. My wife has no problem with this and it may very well be that I will own this (if it's still available) and my IS F will be a happy memory. Plus, I have a relatively short commute to work and the truck is my surf wagon/hauler and camping rig and well as sharing DD duty too. I'm actually excited and looking forward to the test drive tomorrow so we'll see what transpires.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
C63 Coupe
I converted from an ISF to CLS55 to E63, the ISF was a blast but rode horrible(I had an 08, 10+ supposedly ride "better") & ride quality or lack of was my main reason in selling it actually. AMG ftw! I think you'll enjoy the switch, I definitely did!
Old 04-12-2014, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
From my 4+yrs of ownership with the C63. I never had a warranty work. Even though its got only 32k+ miles. The original sticker price for my C63 was $73k. I bought it CPO just a year old with 10k miles. Saved almost $20k from new.