C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone able to pass emissions test with headers and all cats deleted?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I just passed with my C BS longtubes, cat delete and a Wesitec blower. IL does not use sniffers anymore, the plug into OBD and look for fault codes and make sure all sensors are reading. A good tuner can trick the system..
Old 10-13-2014, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63 AMG, 2011 Mini Cooper (work)
Originally Posted by jrcart
I just passed with my C BS longtubes, cat delete and a Wesitec blower. IL does not use sniffers anymore, the plug into OBD and look for fault codes and make sure all sensors are reading. A good tuner can trick the system..
O hell ya, I was wondering about this and GA doesn't use sniffers either. They do look under the car tho..... Well, some do. Others take a $20 "i looked" tax.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by deadfission
O hell ya, I was wondering about this and GA doesn't use sniffers either. They do look under the car tho..... Well, some do. Others take a $20 "i looked" tax.
No bribes accepted in IL emmisions testing facilities any longer. Camera's and voice recording devices everywhere along with sigs stating that it is a felony to try to bribe a tester and that everything is being recorded. I have not seen them look under any of my cars but I have seen the broom handles with mirrors attached to them leaning up against the wall, but never seen them use them. To be honest I don't think they would know what they are looking at anyhow, I do have resonators installed and they look like cats. A lot of the guys that have tested my cars seem like car guys and drool over my cars. I don't think they give a rats **** if I have cats or not, I don't think the $10.00 the state pays them is enough to get them to care too much lol.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:39 PM

2010 C63 AMG, 2011 Mini Cooper (work)
Originally Posted by jrcart
No bribes accepted in IL emmisions testing facilities any longer. Camera's and voice recording devices everywhere along with sigs stating that it is a felony to try to bribe a tester and that everything is being recorded. I have not seen them look under any of my cars but I have seen the broom handles with mirrors attached to them leaning up against the wall, but never seen them use them. To be honest I don't think they would know what they are looking at anyhow, I do have resonators installed and they look like cats. A lot of the guys that have tested my cars seem like car guys and drool over my cars. I don't think they give a rats **** if I have cats or not, I don't think the $10.00 the state pays them is enough to get them to care too much lol.
Ah, very good point. If i leave the resonators, which i plan to do, i'll probs be ok. Actually, have you had any experience with MBH's high flow cats? I was thinking about doing the test pipe section and the high flow cats so I could just clamp them in when I needed to get the emissions done.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:45 PM

SL63
Meh, just let the op drive it around the parking lot. My Atom would obviously have never passed inspection, but a quick drive around the lot and the operator faked all the tests and sent me on my way with a shiny new sticker.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:48 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
In some states you have to sign a statement that to the best of your knowledge the emission system is not modified or tampered with

Do they put the car on a lift and do a visual?
Where I live has no test, the next county does

A car without cats could never pass a sniffer could it?
It's weird they look at concentration not total mass output
So a 1 liter and 7 liter could measure the same but one will put out 2-3 times the pollutants
iirc in europe they use mass/km travelled and probably tax proportionally
Old 10-13-2014, 04:49 PM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
C63
This is a very interesting discussion. I had to trade my previous car due to emission laws in Mass. It varies by state regarding emissions but just to be clear you can fail without having any light issues. It depends on how many NOT READY you have and the age of the vehicle. GL
Old 10-13-2014, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63
i don't need to pass a sniffer test... just obd... and currently with my catless set up... i have no cels and 2 monitors that haven't gone into ready status after 10k miles...

i had the car retuned to turn any sensors or whatever that were turned off to be turned back on... and yet i'm still not throwing any cels... i would have figured i would have gotten a cel of some kind by now... then i can read the code to see if my issue is with a bad o2 sensor or something...
Old 11-07-2014, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
anyone try these?

http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/index.html

i'm willing to try but not sure whether to go with the angled cel fix or the mini cat cel fix...
Old 11-08-2014, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Slightly OT, but relevant. I've been reading up on the CLA45 and VW EA888 (GTI/R) motors. Both 2.0 turbo. On one CLA45 Weistec downpipe thread, they eliminated a CEL by using an O2 spacer. I think the guy had a piggyback tune. In a separate VW forum thread, people are using O2 spacers to eliminate CELs on stage 1 tunes or stock tune. You may want to try the O2 spacer first.

Last edited by Sincity; 11-08-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'15 Polar White Edition 507 / 2010 Jeep Wrangler (kart hauler)
Originally Posted by Sincity
Slightly OT, but relevant. I've been reading up on the CLA45 and VW EA888 (GTI/R) motors. Both 2.0 turbo. On one CLA45 Weistec downpipe thread, they eliminated a CEL by using an O2 spacer. I think the guy had a piggyback tune. In a separate VW forum thread, people are using O2 spacers to eliminate CELs on stage 1 tunes or stock tune. You may want to try the O2 spacer first.
I used to do this on my Corvettes. Put a spacer that has a much smaller hole in it to greatly reduce the amount of exhaust that the rear O2 reads so it registers a difference and reads "normal". Would be interesting to see if it works on these motors so you don't have to have the rear O2's turned off and you get all monitors in a ready status.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:51 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 C63S coupe '09 C63, '15 Durango RT, '14 Jeep SRT8
I failed inspection yesterday. It stated
readiness: fail
Monitor catalyst: not ready
Monitor o2: not ready
Monitor heated o2: not ready

I have a tune and no sec cats or resonator. I just had them
Cut but i dont have an extender. I believe when i retuned the car, they turned the o2 sensors off.

Anyone have an idea of what to do?
Old 01-29-2015, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
You need to tell your tuner to turn your O2 sensors back on, but I"m not sure that will help you much as you deleted the secondary cats and didn't incorporate the rear O2's into your setup. Maybe your tuner will have a solution to your situation.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
you can pass with 2 not readys now they changed it. I was having the same issue, but then one day back in june it passed with 2 not readys

Where did you get this done? PM me if you want. Just curious, I've had the same issues in the past. No cats + headers. 2 not ready's
Old 01-29-2015, 10:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
Originally Posted by bluejae
anyone try these?

http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/index.html

i'm willing to try but not sure whether to go with the angled cel fix or the mini cat cel fix...

Bluejae when did you install headers? Come by the meet on Feb 21st bro! www.facebook.com/CarrolltonMotorClub

Interested in this as well.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
10 C63, 06 S65, 14 ML350, 95 S500
Wow this emissions stuff can get annoying. Glad florida doesn't have it, but wouldn't be surprised if they brought it along in the next 5-10 years with the population growing like crazy.

My car actually has an Illinois tag, as I bought the car in chicago and maintain a residence there even though my primary residence is in orlando... they wanted emissions to renew my tag but the car is out of state... had to file some emission testing exemption with proof that my car is out of state and they renewed my tag!
Old 01-29-2015, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by w204nyc
I failed inspection yesterday. It stated
readiness: fail
Monitor catalyst: not ready
Monitor o2: not ready
Monitor heated o2: not ready

I have a tune and no sec cats or resonator. I just had them
Cut but i dont have an extender. I believe when i retuned the car, they turned the o2 sensors off.

Anyone have an idea of what to do?
here's my story... if you saw any of my posts from this thread, you can see i had the same problem... but i actually have no cats... i don't have a cel because it's been tuned and i believe the sensors were turned off... i have a eurocharged tune through jerry... i had jerry provide me with an update along with turning my sensors back on... he told me i would probably get a cel and i won't be able to pass... i wasn't going to pass anyway with 2 not readys so what i wanted to do was have the sensors all turned back on and wait for a cel... and then i'll scan the cel to get an idea of what i need to do to try and get the cel to go away... my plan was to try a few different types of extenders and angled cel fixes... i would then reset the cel and see if things stay gone and maybe my 2 not readys would turn into 1 so i can pass...

after getting my updated tune with the sensors back on, i drove and drove for months and the cel never came on... i scanned the car and it was the same as before.... the same 2 sensors showing not ready... i contacted jerry and he told me they were on but he will check again... the difficult part for me was that i didn't have a handheld so it wasn't easy for me to meet up jerry to get a retune done since he is in houston and i'm in dallas... so i got myself a handheld tuner...

this time i would get the v5 tune update instead of the v4 i had and he would provide me with a v5 tune with the sensors off and the same tune with the sensors on... i was actually excited to get the tune installed so my cel would come on...

a part of me was thinking that once i get the sensors back on and the readiness monitors start coming through that i may have a small grace period where the monitors show ready but the cel hasn't kicked in yet... and maybe i could sneak in an inspection and it'll be good... so i installed the v5 tune with the sensors on and i continued to monitor my car scanning it a few times a day...

and then one morning everything showed ready... i had no cel... and i drove straight to get an inspection and leaving the car on because i was afraid to turn it off and ruin it...

i passed my inspection with flying colors... everything was perfect... and i didn't quite understand how... all my sensors were on... i have no cats... and yet no cel light... i left this tune on my car to see what would happen and it's been about 5 months...

so my advice would be to talk to your tuner, have them turn on all the sensors and go from there...

Originally Posted by JRSJR65
Bluejae when did you install headers? Come by the meet on Feb 21st bro! www.facebook.com/CarrolltonMotorClub

Interested in this as well.
i've had headers for a long time. since 2010 i think...

and i saw the event on fb... i'll try and make it if my car is done... my car is dirty as F and there are a few things i need to get fixed before going to a meet or show... just cosmetic stuff...

Last edited by bluejae; 01-29-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by I am Jeff
You need to tell your tuner to turn your O2 sensors back on, but I"m not sure that will help you much as you deleted the secondary cats and didn't incorporate the rear O2's into your setup. Maybe your tuner will have a solution to your situation.
Yea I had someone who worked with OE tuning retune it for me. I spoke to him today and he said he no longer works with them so i'm out of luck there. I spoke with your friend Will and he was a little puzzled by everything. He asked me if I had those extenders when I removed the sec cats. I was thinking to put the cats back on and flash the car back to stock just to see if it passes inspection.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by bluejae
here's my story... if you saw any of my posts from this thread, you can see i had the same problem... but i actually have no cats... i don't have a cel because it's been tuned and i believe the sensors were turned off... i have a eurocharged tune through jerry... i had jerry provide me with an update along with turning my sensors back on... he told me i would probably get a cel and i won't be able to pass... i wasn't going to pass anyway with 2 not readys so what i wanted to do was have the sensors all turned back on and wait for a cel... and then i'll scan the cel to get an idea of what i need to do to try and get the cel to go away... my plan was to try a few different types of extenders and angled cel fixes... i would then reset the cel and see if things stay gone and maybe my 2 not readys would turn into 1 so i can pass...

after getting my updated tune with the sensors back on, i drove and drove for months and the cel never came on... i scanned the car and it was the same as before.... the same 2 sensors showing not ready... i contacted jerry and he told me they were on but he will check again... the difficult part for me was that i didn't have a handheld so it wasn't easy for me to meet up jerry to get a retune done since he is in houston and i'm in dallas... so i got myself a handheld tuner...

this time i would get the v5 tune update instead of the v4 i had and he would provide me with a v5 tune with the sensors off and the same tune with the sensors on... i was actually excited to get the tune installed so my cel would come on...

a part of me was thinking that once i get the sensors back on and the readiness monitors start coming through that i may have a small grace period where the monitors show ready but the cel hasn't kicked in yet... and maybe i could sneak in an inspection and it'll be good... so i installed the v5 tune with the sensors on and i continued to monitor my car scanning it a few times a day...

and then one morning everything showed ready... i had no cel... and i drove straight to get an inspection and leaving the car on because i was afraid to turn it off and ruin it...

i passed my inspection with flying colors... everything was perfect... and i didn't quite understand how... all my sensors were on... i have no cats... and yet no cel light... i left this tune on my car to see what would happen and it's been about 5 months...

so my advice would be to talk to your tuner, have them turn on all the sensors and go from there...

i've had headers for a long time. since 2010 i think...

and i saw the event on fb... i'll try and make it if my car is done... my car is dirty as F and there are a few things i need to get fixed before going to a meet or show... just cosmetic stuff...
Yeah I have a OE Tune and no handheld either so its difficult to do everything.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:40 PM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by N_Jay
"Not Ready" means that even though the system is not showing an error, the car has not been through a long enough run cycle or enough warm up cycles for the "good" condition to be considered valid.
It willl never be ready even if he drives for 100s of miles if the tune has monitors turned off. Believe me I know because a had a beautiful 600 horsepower convertible that I had to sell because of emissions car was highly modified, I loved that car. Why I got C63 in the first place
Old 01-30-2015, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by AMG6.3
It willl never be ready even if he drives for 100s of miles if the tune has monitors turned off. Believe me I know because a had a beautiful 600 horsepower convertible that I had to sell because of emissions car was highly modified, I loved that car. Why I got C63 in the first place
+11111 miles... probably about the number of miles i put on waiting for the monitors to become ready and it never did... this led me to believe that maybe something was missed and my sensors were not actually turned on after my first request...
Old 01-30-2015, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by rediesel
<snip>

If these tests are soley computer/OBD-II based is it possible to put somekind of device that cheats and gives the correct answers? I'm thinking somekind of dongle on the OBD port or some software code that cheats. There would be $$ deveoping this.
And then there would be $$$$ spent on lawyers' fees while they try to shorten the number of years you'll have to spend in prison.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:08 PM

2009 c63 AMG
LTH's

I have the same issue...I have been trying to pass IL(Chicago) emissions. I have LTH's, cat delete and stage 3 blower(weistec) and my monitors show not ready...I am currently looking to have my shop install "mini" cats on my LTH's and hopefully pass. I have tried to have my tuner fix the issue but no matter how many miles I drive I cannot have those monitors turn to ready. Any advice?
Old 01-31-2015, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JRSJR65
Where did you get this done? PM me if you want. Just curious, I've had the same issues in the past. No cats + headers. 2 not ready's
I posted twice in EC's FB page and have been ignored. Not sure why ignored? Also posted same question in Jerry's page on a post he made and he just skipped my question.

Originally Posted by MagasC63
I have the same issue...I have been trying to pass IL(Chicago) emissions. I have LTH's, cat delete and stage 3 blower(weistec) and my monitors show not ready...I am currently looking to have my shop install "mini" cats on my LTH's and hopefully pass. I have tried to have my tuner fix the issue but no matter how many miles I drive I cannot have those monitors turn to ready. Any advice?
You don't have a Weistec tune?

Last edited by Sincity; 01-31-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:23 PM

2009 c63 AMG
You don't have a Weistec tune?[/QUOTE]

I actually do have a weistec tune that's why I'm so surprised I can't pass this thing. 2 fails so far all because I can't get the monitors turned to ready...weistec is an excellent company, first in customer service and they stand behind their products 100% so don't get me wrong but we haven't been able to get this passed so that's why I'm opting to get mini cats installed. Not sure why they don't turn to ready? I even tried putting O2 extenders but no luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone able to pass emissions test with headers and all cats deleted?