C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

change to gruppem intake and question on the cooling fan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 Sedan
change to gruppem intake and question on the cooling fan

hi just want to share my newly installed gruppem intake.

i have to say it looks fantastic but frankly speaking the uplift on power is not observed - the throttle is a bit ligher in low rev and yes sound is better at high rev - but that is all.

anyway it really looks good - no problem at all on 2012 facelift model

when i installed the intake in noticed 1 thing on the front cooling fan. there appears to be a small aluminum clip piece on 1 fan blade and there is only one of this... not on the rest blade, i am a bit worried if this is normal case - i dont know if it will fly out when the fan is fully loaded working .....do you have the same small clip? (see my attached image 2)
Attached Thumbnails change to gruppem intake and question on the cooling fan-dsc_0311.jpg   change to gruppem intake and question on the cooling fan-dsc_0324.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
The clip is fine. Also, intakes aren't going to give you huge hp gains unless you have things like a supercharger really. They do look really good, add a nice audible tone, and will give you very small gains.

Overall, looks good and you'll be fine with the clip. I wont lie, I didn't go look at my fans because I sold the car so maybe someone can go spin their fan around for you and see but in my opinion it is nothing to worry about.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ml55, Ml63, Porsche, C63S ED1
Originally Posted by adolzero
hi just want to share my newly installed gruppem intake.

i have to say it looks fantastic but frankly speaking the uplift on power is not observed - the throttle is a bit ligher in low rev and yes sound is better at high rev - but that is all.

anyway it really looks good - no problem at all on 2012 facelift model

when i installed the intake in noticed 1 thing on the front cooling fan. there appears to be a small aluminum clip piece on 1 fan blade and there is only one of this... not on the rest blade, i am a bit worried if this is normal case - i dont know if it will fly out when the fan is fully loaded working .....do you have the same small clip? (see my attached image 2)
did you use row airboxes? where did you get this from? How much?

also regarding clip, it may be a counter balance like how your wheels have a balance.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
Looks great! How's hard is it to take out, because I notice it competely covers the oil filter?
Old 05-02-2014, 03:20 AM

2012 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by tfthach13
Looks great! How's hard is it to take out, because I notice it competely covers the oil filter?
Quite easy.since you just need to unscrew 3 bolts on the upper fender and remove the upper right part. Considering u only need to chance the filter every 5-8k miles I take it as acceptable
Old 05-02-2014, 03:25 AM

2012 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by ruey220
did you use row airboxes? where did you get this from? How much?

also regarding clip, it may be a counter balance like how your wheels have a balance.
I only replaced kn filter and this ram intake-ordered from japan @ a total $2500..
Old 05-02-2014, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Nice looking intake. I would keep an eye on the screws that fasten the pieces together. It seems to me people have reported that they come loose and can fall out and disappear. Maybe a dab of clear silicone will keep them secure.

The metal piece on your fan is a balance weight as suggested above. I have a very small round one on one of my fan blades. It has four pins that are pushed right through the blade to hold it in place. I don't think you have to worry.