C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

H&R Springs vs. KW V3 coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Question H&R Springs vs. KW V3 coilovers

Alright folks - still new here and started modding my '14 C63 coupe. Now looking at wheel options and a potential drop. I've read up on some of the pros/cons of springs (inexpensive, fixed drop, but don't provide as good an overall suspension experience as coilovers) and coilovers ($$, adjustable dampening and ride height, better ride, more involved install, and harder to adjust?) but I'd like some additional input. It's a daily driver now, but I drive with "spirit" and I don't want to compromise what's been a great driving experience so far (so I don't want rubbing, odd noises, or other suspension issues).

For those that have had both - what's your take? I figure I'll get my wheels and then decide on what drop I want (looking at 19" 8.5 and 10, probably on 245 and 275 tires), and make a final decision. Do the springs alone provide a compromised ride? Do folks with coilovers adjust ride height, dampening, etc. routinely (sounds like it's kind of a pain)? I doubt I'll ever go to the track.

Long post, but thanks for any input. Appreciate it as always. And yes, I know there are other posts on the forum about springs and coilovers...
Old 05-23-2014, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
If you are not looking to adjust the ride height and are okay with savings a boat load of cash, then springs are the way to go. Especially if you are looking for streetability more so than trackability.
I can also attest that not in all cases are coils providing better handling and or ride comfortability. Some coils can provide a very harsh, lack of control feeling while driving, especially if all 4 corners are not properly set.
I am a big proponent of ease of use or performance in this case. Far less moving and or performing parts creates far less issues to be had. Springs do not need rebuilt, springs for the most part will not create a clunking noise or squeaking noise that sometimes can be had by coils.

I have lowered nearly every car I have ever owned and most by springs on oem struts. I have never witnessed premature wear on oem struts from lowering springs as we have all heard happens. I will say I have heard stories of this, but never witnessed first hand.

Having said all of this, there will be a large number that totally disagree and are 100% all about coils, keep in mind quality of product plays largely into this as well as the fact that coil owners having spent that much cash need to feel like it was money well spent.

There are coils out there out performing any spring though, KW being the #1 in my book, but your gonna pay $4K for them too.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a car
I'll post my personal experience and professional experience with both.

I currently have a '12 P31 with H&R springs (and have installed springs on countless C63's as well)... I do appreciate the H&R product as it's a tremendous value for the end result. The ride quality is meh. I don't think you can expect much more than what you get. The performance is meh. Less body roll I suppose... no increase in much anything else.

I personally think the drop is suitable for 90% of W204 owners and makes 90% of the customers that we install them for happy. Does it make me happy? Short answer: No. But the car was purchased with them installed and they do their job... for now.

For the KW's. I really feel comparing H&R Lowering springs to KW Variant 3 coil overs is like comparing an sling shot to a howitzer. Do they both serve their purpose? Yes, but one does it so much better and yes there is a price to pay for that.

The adjustability in height is very nice, but the dampening and rebound adjustments are what really make the KW's the more attractive option. Albeit it may take some time to dial it in but if you have the patience it will pay dividends in the end and make the driving experience much more pleasant in every aspect.

For a 2014 owner who isn't going to track the car and drives it spiritedly, wants a better stance, and doesn't want to mess with adjustments, I honestly would say springs are more than sufficient for your needs.

But if you do want the best, get some KW's, find a competent suspension shop in your neck of the woods and have them help you adjust them to fit your needs.

Hope that sheds some light
Old 05-23-2014, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I should also mention that a finely tuned quality coil over setup should and typically does outperform any spring set up on the track.

Last edited by Autosport7; 05-23-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Tal@ACGAutomotive
I'll post my personal experience and professional experience with both.

I currently have a '12 P31 with H&R springs (and have installed springs on countless C63's as well)... I do appreciate the H&R product as it's a tremendous value for the end result. The ride quality is meh. I don't think you can expect much more than what you get. The performance is meh. Less body roll I suppose... no increase in much anything else.

I personally think the drop is suitable for 90% of W204 owners and makes 90% of the customers that we install them for happy. Does it make me happy? Short answer: No. But the car was purchased with them installed and they do their job... for now.

For the KW's. I really feel comparing H&R Lowering springs to KW Variant 3 coil overs is like comparing an sling shot to a howitzer. Do they both serve their purpose? Yes, but one does it so much better and yes there is a price to pay for that.

The adjustability in height is very nice, but the dampening and rebound adjustments are what really make the KW's the more attractive option. Albeit it may take some time to dial it in but if you have the patience it will pay dividends in the end and make the driving experience much more pleasant in every aspect.

For a 2014 owner who isn't going to track the car and drives it spiritedly, wants a better stance, and doesn't want to mess with adjustments, I honestly would say springs are more than sufficient for your needs.

But if you do want the best, get some KW's, find a competent suspension shop in your neck of the woods and have them help you adjust them to fit your needs.

Hope that sheds some light
Nice post Tal, I agree with everything stated here.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 Coupe
I have KW3s and the ride quality is amazing, but be ready to tweak it. I still need to adjust the dampening or rebound because the car does a slight rock when I come to a stop. They're definitely worth the money imo.

There is a possibility of rubbing, but it depends on how low you're, wheel offset, tire size, camber.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 c63 P30
Anyone have any experience with the difference in driving/handling characteristics with the stock p30 suspension vs h&r springs?
Old 05-23-2014, 06:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
thanks all for the very helpful input. i figured comparing the two was a little off base but since they appear to be the 2 most common suspension tweaks going on here it made sense. I think I'll start with the springs and see how it goes (just need to find someone to install them now). Another question, do the springs require pads or is that another sort of strange option? thx again all
Old 05-23-2014, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
The rear has spring pads, oem are 14mm.. I'm using thicker 17mm pads (20$/pair at the stealership), it helps even out the drop with the front & improve clearance since I have aggressive wheels.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
I have H&R springs and its the same ride as stock in terms of stiffness.
KW's are definitely a step above springs. If your only concerns are ride height, then id recommend going with H&R coil overs.
KW's are pricey but the best coils you can get on this car.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
^^ R u Karl? Holy batman, miss u buddy!! How have u been?
Old 05-24-2014, 07:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
E63 M157
Originally Posted by _AMG_
I have H&R springs and its the same ride as stock in terms of stiffness.

Stock as in the non P30 correct? I have been wondering as well if the H&R springs will actually ride better than the very stiff springs on the P30 C63s. If so I may switch, I regret buying a P30 every time I hit an avoidable pothole

Last edited by BiturboSF; 05-24-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Originally Posted by Roswell
^^ R u Karl? Holy batman, miss u buddy!! How have u been?

Ditto, welcome back long time no see.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 Diamond White C63 Coupe
I love my KW V3's, but as mentioned earlier you HAVE to get a shop that will do corner weight distribution and a proper alignment, save yourself the headache.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG - PP+
Another big thumbs up for KW V3's, having had them on M3 CSL, GT3 and the race 2 way version on my M3 race car I can not recommend them highly enough.

BUT it's all about the set up, get them fitted by someone who really know there stuff, and also have a play and take time to get the settings best suited to your driving style and needs.

Combine both the above and you'll be a happy camper
Old 05-29-2014, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
I had H&R springs and now run KW V3.
I can feel the difference. Go with H&R springs first and see how you like it. Plus it is a quick and cheap lowering solution for our cars.
Now as mentioned by others if you track your car KW are great product because of the adjustment capabilities. They do have a price tag though.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
What about H&R Coilovers ? I had a set for about 8k miles and I'm selling them for half the cost.

https://mbworld.org/forums/suspensio...ml#post6056806