Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSS Tire damage & warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2014 | 11:40 PM
Veteran: Marine Corp

2010 C63
The 'tracked' and 'misuse' issue cannot be resolved amongst an online forum. But let's take a look at some REAL EXAMPLES of lawsuits regarding products and their marketing spiel (that we're not supposed to take too literally) . . .

Pharmaceutical lawsuits:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_pharmaceutical_settlements
14 False Advertising Scandals That Cost Brands Millions:
http://www.businessinsider.com/false...ls-2011-9?op=1

It is the concept of legal responsibility of product marketing versus product behavior that I am addressing with these examples. I am NOT claiming my one stupid tire is of equal importance to the pharmaceutical examples above.

Yes, Michelin states it's a capable tire, street or track, but they also state that should one so choose to subject their tires to the additional stresses of track use, the warranty is null and void.
- I suspect this is the type of contradiction that had to be resolved in a courtroom "Please buy our max performance tire it is designed for the track. But if you use our tire on the track it voids the warranty."

The above cases were debated in a court of law - not on an online forum. From these lawsuits it is clear which perspective of the topic was deemed to be CORRECT.

Here's a couple of other recently in the news examples:
Marketing spiel - "Please buy a Toyota or Lexus. They are great cars and safe as well."
Truth - "Aaaaahhhh! 911 HELP ME!! My accelerator is stuck and I am speeding down the road towards an intersection and I can't stop".
Action to take: Nevermind, never should have taking marketing spiel so literally.

Marketing spiel - "Please buy a GM car. They are great cars and safe as well."
Truth - "Aaaaahhhh! 911 HELP ME!! My ignition switch just turned off by itself and now I lost my power steering. I don't want to be NUMBER 14, help!"
Action to take: Nevermind, never should have taking marketing spiel so literally.

These companies enjoy having a spineless consumer base that typically won't stand up and hold them accountable for their failed product. Therefore they continue to make lousy products or unsafe medicines that they market on TV (or at a race track). They will even hide known defects for 13 years! These crappy products cost us trillions (sic) in wasted purchases with our hard earned money.

And don't forget that when a lawsuit costs a brand millions (per the link above) don't you think that company is going to transfer some of that cost right back at us consumers with higher prices on their next product?
Old 06-17-2014 | 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
There is a huge difference between a legitimate safety issue arising out of normal use of a product, and someone abusing a product - which is what running street tires on the track is, at least from a legal perspective. Furthermore, despite your abuse of the same, the tire didn't blow up on you and didn't kill you, so if anything you ought to thankful to Michelin for building a street tire that is able to withstand whatever abuse you subjected it to in an enviromnent that it wasn't designed for in the first place.

If you really feel that you were somehow shafted, vote with your wallet and stop buying Michelin tires, or hire a lawyer and go after big bad Michelin for all of their money. You've made your point, we have read your reasoning and offered our own. Some forum members - mysef included - don't agree with you, and that's somethign you're going to have to learn to accept even if you don't understand it. There's no point in continuing to beat a dead horse.
Old 06-17-2014 | 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Enjoy your new tires
Old 06-17-2014 | 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Are you sure he got a set and not just the one replacement??
Should go easy on the meds for sure.