C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Electricity concern when changing bulb..

Old 06-18-2014, 04:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Electricity concern when changing bulb..

So today I was swapping out the innermost high beams stock bulbs for halogen bulbs but I forgot to switch the headlight unit to off inside the cabin. Key was not in ignition so the car was off but after I swapped out one side, I heard a loud click, not sure what that was but it startled me.. So I went inside and switched the headlights to 0 just in case. Maybe, the lighting system restarted? Just hope nothing is broken. All lights seem to be working fine though..

P.S. Does anyone know how to swap out the stock door pins on our cars? Do you just screw it off? Im trying to replace them with AMG door pins, these stock plastic ones are so cheap looking and dont match our cars at all
Old 06-18-2014, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Your fine, the clicking could have been the car sensing the key (I do not have the keyless option, but if it is like any other car with it, proximity of the key will set certain things in motion prior to you even entering the car). Another option could be that you just finished driving back from wherever you got the bulb, and as the car cools, there are creaks and pops that will occur as heat dissipates and parts contract (remember high school science, heat expands, cold contracts).

Or, it could just have been the relay resetting when you plugged the bulb in.

As for doing it while the lights are on, should be no issue, it's a bulb, you could have turned the engine on and had the lights on, you would have been fine (except for maybe being burned by the bulb.

Never touch the bulb though, oils on your skin (no matter how much you clean) get left on the bulb, and can cause cracking in the glass if not wiped off when it gets really hot.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
Your fine, the clicking could have been the car sensing the key (I do not have the keyless option, but if it is like any other car with it, proximity of the key will set certain things in motion prior to you even entering the car). Another option could be that you just finished driving back from wherever you got the bulb, and as the car cools, there are creaks and pops that will occur as heat dissipates and parts contract (remember high school science, heat expands, cold contracts).

Or, it could just have been the relay resetting when you plugged the bulb in.

As for doing it while the lights are on, should be no issue, it's a bulb, you could have turned the engine on and had the lights on, you would have been fine (except for maybe being burned by the bulb.

Never touch the bulb though, oils on your skin (no matter how much you clean) get left on the bulb, and can cause cracking in the glass if not wiped off when it gets really hot.
Ok I dont think I touched the bulb with my fingers but might have accidentally, so what I did was used a microfiber towel and wiped off the entire bulb, should be ok??
Old 06-18-2014, 02:23 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Use an alcohol wipe to clean bulbs

Do not change when power is on
You get an inrush current and they get hot
Always work de-energized
Even more so on HID's

Door pins
Front are screw off and on
Rears are mee complicated
Search for the diy
Old 06-18-2014, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGPower88
P.S. Does anyone know how to swap out the stock door pins on our cars? Do you just screw it off? Im trying to replace them with AMG door pins, these stock plastic ones are so cheap looking and dont match our cars at all
Youtube - C63 AMG Rear Door Lock Pin Install