C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 Alternator/Battery?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 04:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
C63 Alternator/Battery?

Ok, so i was away for 4 days. It's a Pre Facelift C63 AMG Sedan.

Car hadn't been started. Got back started it, drove it for a few days no dramas.

I then installed LED bulbs for the interior roof lighting, glove box and boot.

I was driving around and then all these things started flashing up on the ecu/speedo - SRS, NO Traction Control etc.

Steering became extremely heavy as though there was no power steering.

I managed to get the car back because i wasn't too far away (few hundred metres) and called Mercedes Roadside.

They came and tested the battery and said i needed a new battery.

Now i had noticed a funny sound from the engine bay when i started the car that day but didn't pay attention because it went away.

They replaced the battery and all was well.

Today started the car, drove around and then when i pulled over to make a phone call on my phone (not using bluetooth) i noticed the music turned off and the screen folded away and would not come back out even though i was trying to turn it back on. So i turned the car off and tried to turn it on and it wouldn't it was just flashing etc.

Finally got it started and drove it home.

Mercedes Roadside came out, tested and said there was no power coming from the alternator to the battery and that having the car on was actually draining the battery.

Could it be the LED bulbs or just a coincidence?
I'd never had an issue with the battery etc prior to this.

Has this happened before? What do i need to do?
Change Alternator? Could it be a Regulator?

Last edited by RawBenz; 06-22-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
The noise you heard might have been the bearings on the alternator, since the MB roadside mentioned you alternator is now bad. Bearings do go bad and squeal...

If concerned about the LEDs, why don't you put the originals back in and see if the problem goes away? I have doubts it will go away, as it sounds like a bad alternator.

Here's some basic info on solving electrical problems on the internet: http://www.ehow.com/about_4813205_co...lems-cars.html

Let us know what you find out in the end. My thoughts are the alternator, no coincidence to the LEDs. Best of luck.

Last edited by sinape62; 06-22-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
Thanks. So you're saying it's just a coincidence that the alternator stuffed itself about the same time I installed new led's?

Also what side is the alternator on. I'm in australia so drivers side is on the right. That's where I heard the noise from.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
If the you changed something (LEDs) and then started having problems, I'd be inclined to think that that caused the problem.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
First thing, go back, remove and clean the battery terminals and battery cable ends to ensure good contact, retighten. With volt meter check battery voltage with car off, probably 12.5-12.8, if the battery is fully charged and if it is showing below like 12.1-12.3 or so recharge the battery using charger, start car and recheck voltage, should be 14.1-14.3 if not either voltage regulator inside of alternator is shot or the whole alternator itself is in need of replacement. Good Luck
Depending on the mileage of the car and age will direct you in the fix, if you go the regulator route ensure you get a Bosch unit as these cars seem to know the difference with a cheapo aftermarket unit. If the car shows like 12.8-13.3 a regulator would be my first choice especially if you can maintain this when you turn on accessories or the headlights and start to draw current from the alt
Old 06-22-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
Location of the alternator if facing the engine with hood open is on the bottom left. See the link. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:..._Engine_02.JPG
Old 07-11-2016, 02:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
What is the average life of a C63 AMG battery? 3-4 years? I remember reading somewhere about C63s eating up batteries. So I figure 3-4 years is normal?