C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Headers: DIY and Emissions Test questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 04:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
'16 CLS 63 S
Headers: DIY and Emissions Test questions

How much welding/cutting does it take? Labor is expensive here in Germany, was quoted 300 euro by a shop to install springs on my sedan. I could get access to a lift and some tools, but won't get much assistance other-wise. I'm learning to be more mechanical, but never had the opportunity to really learn it before.

Also I've heard that all LTH's make you fail any emission test and you run the risk of an engine light, but do the 200 cell cats change that? Not sure where I'll be moving to next year, possibly Washington State or Washington DC area, maybe somewhere else entirely.

Labor is expensive here in Germany, was quoted 300 euro by a shop to install springs on my sedan. I'd love to get some headers to finish off my car, but don't want to be broke paying for labor and then spend money in a year to take them back off to pass emissions.

Any guidance is appreciated and as always stay safe.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:55 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
I'll give you my 2 cents
It's ot and some will flame but don't mess with it

You have an amazing car as is...AMAZING
If you don't have an LSD do that
The tune and filters are reversable
Maybe springs but they negatively impact ride
Coil overs seem good: oem or better ride, lowered a bit, improved handling
But please don't start hacking it up
Old 07-03-2014, 05:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
I don't have an opinion on modding your wonderful 507 + or -, but 300 euro to install springs (H&R or the like I assume) seems steep to me, really steep. Not sure where the exchange rate is today but I'm guessing that's about $400 US, which is a bit rich to my thinking. But then again, I've never had it done. Just thinking about mechanic time, which I'm thinking shouldn't be more than a couple of hours for the springs?
Old 07-03-2014, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
In Germany it's a bit more complicated
Their tax is like 17% on the work
After the install it must be certified to comply with the TUV document
You get a certificate that you must carry in the car
What's 300 euro in real money lol $400??
It doesn't sound out of line
From what I've read it's a 3 hour +/- job

Last edited by Ingenieur; 07-03-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
'16 CLS 63 S
300 Euro + 300 Euro for springs if I buy through them. So about 750 USD all in...for springs. I have been going to the Nurburgring and the body roll is noticeable. I'm more inclined to get the headers. I have the EC crank pulley, but haven't found a good time to drive to the shop EC recommends on their website. My goal is to hit 200 mph sometime next summer once I get some Michelin PSS on her.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
If you actually use the car on the track like you are saying, lowering springs arent going to make you happy. Most of them just lower the car and have weaker than stock spring rates = worse handling. Your best bet is a nice set of coilovers with adjustable dampeners. Also keep in mind you need an alignment after lowering it. Since you're in germany consider contact the amg performance center since they actual do real performance modifications there and know what will actually make the car handle better. Not some cheap aftmkt crap that hasnt been tested.