PCV valve question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by jcfay
Hey there just wondering if you were able confirm what the issue was? I'm going to do another attempt at install today but wanted to see if you'd fixed the problem. If so was the issue the 1" fittings not being tight enough? Follow-up, as a newb how do you clear the codes? What is the process for clearing the CEL as well? If you restore the system to normal do they clear themselves (I imagine not...)? Thx again
I was going to wait until I was done, but what the heck. turns out I have a vacuum leak. how? bc I broke the little plastic vacuum line fitting that goes into the intake. luckily, the hole for the fitting is right below the relatively large hole for the pcv. I'm going to have to use a bent paper clip or something and try to push/pull the broken-off plastic piece from behind. once I do, I'm gonna replace it, slap it all back to stock and then check for codes. if no codes, then I'm gonna throw the can back in. I have since rewrenched all the fittings etc. on it as well. be careful when fiddling around back there, that vac line fitting is easy to break off, apparently.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
At least you know the problem
Old 07-13-2014, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ingenieur
At least you know the problem
yeah, the problem is THIS GUY! I used to work on cars much more frequently, but lately, I only wench maybe once a year, and i lose my touch. maybe it's time to retire my tool chest!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:24 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
yeah, the problem is THIS GUY! I used to work on cars much more frequently, but lately, I only wench maybe once a year, and i lose my touch. maybe it's time to retire my tool chest!
Simma down now! Lol
Happens to everyone
'Murphy's Laws'

One of them: drop something and it will roll under the car to the exact center

Last edited by Ingenieur; 07-13-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
I have no affiliation with weistec but their product seems to be solid.
So I was thinking that only a vacuum leak could be the root cause of your CEL like it was for mine. I'm not saying a failure could not happen on the catch can side but I'm not aware of any issues can related following its installation.
So glad you pinpointed the problem. GL with your reinstall.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
thanks mort. fingers crossed that I won't get a CEL with my catch can, finally installed. I have to say the PCV valve is now flush against the firewall, and I'm not happy about it. There's no where else for it to get as the PCV valve line to the crankcase is not free to move as shown in the Weistec instructions; instead there is a metal tube that severely restricts it's movement. As a result, the PCV/billet setup can only sit 1 place and not interfere with the Y-air intake, and that's flush against the firewall. If my PCV fails (I've got 1800 miles on the new car) I'll know why.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
jcfay mine is tight against the firewall as well and in the only place it can be squeezed in. I was a little surprised as well but figured with the padded firewall insulation it should be fine for it to move around in there with engine movements and vibrations being absorbed by the padding. Fingers crossed...LOL.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by Mort
jcfay mine is tight against the firewall as well and in the only place it can be squeezed in. I was a little surprised as well but figured with the padded firewall insulation it should be fine for it to move around in there with engine movements and vibrations being absorbed by the padding. Fingers crossed...LOL.
Good to know I'm not the only one. Thanks, Mort
Old 07-13-2014, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mort
mine is the same way.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I got another question. I've been trying like mad to get the little plastic fitting out of the vac line hole in the intake manifold (right below the pcv hole), but that mother will NOT come out at all. it does rotate and seems also to want to go into the manifold. it is about 2cm long and 5 mm wide. is there any harm in just pushing it through and letting it go into the intake manifold to live out it's life? please don't flame me, this is a serious questions, even though it sounds stupid.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:35 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
I got another question. I've been trying like mad to get the little plastic fitting out of the vac line hole in the intake manifold (right below the pcv hole), but that mother will NOT come out at all. it does rotate and seems also to want to go into the manifold. it is about 2cm long and 5 mm wide. is there any harm in just pushing it through and letting it go into the intake manifold to live out it's life? please don't flame me, this is a serious questions, even though it sounds stupid.
Do not push it in
Might interfere with the intake valves
Old 07-13-2014, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ingenieur
Do not push it in Might interfere with the intake valves
yeah, I figured. I've left it for now. gonna go to the parts dept in the AM and get a new piece and ask them about it. if I have to pull the whole manifold, that will be a definite kick in the *****, but at least I'll get to reseal it (half glass full). talk about making work for myself.