C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break in procedure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2014 | 07:54 PM

2018 AMG E63s
Lawyers don't "write" the break-in procedures. It's a frigging company-wide decision-making process, and I'm sure that it's the engineers (not the dimwit lawyers) who are making recs about break-in. Yes, the lawyers have input (which I gather is your point) to avoid future claims based on some sort of cost/risk assessment, but they don't "write" the procedures. C'mon.

Nothing against lawyers, BTW... ;-)
Old 08-03-2014 | 07:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by jcfay
Lawyers don't "write" the break-in procedures. It's a frigging company-wide decision-making process, and I'm sure that it's the engineers (not the dimwit lawyers) who are making recs about break-in. Yes, the lawyers have input (which I gather is your point) to avoid future claims based on some sort of cost/risk assessment, but they don't "write" the procedures. C'mon.

Nothing against lawyers, BTW... ;-)
Drive it like u stole it
Old 08-03-2014 | 07:59 PM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Drive it like u stole it
That's good, keep it simple. You've convinced me. You're all correct. Drive it like a madman. Hell, don't even bother servicing it. I'm setting fire to mine right now and then I'm going to drive it off a cliff
Old 08-03-2014 | 08:22 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
20,000 mile oil changes!!!!!

Drive it like you stole it
What does that mean?
I would guess a thief would drive very conservatively so as not to draw attention? Or drive it like the cops are chasing you? Doesn't make sense
Much like ignoring the mfgs break in instructions

Fast & delerious mentality
Live for today tomorrow may never come!!!
Until tomorrow lol
I got so much $$$, such a baller, I can abuse my property and just buy more!!! Yeah!!!

What a joke
I'm glad the world is populated with stupid people
Lowers the bar and makes me look smarter lol
Safer to think you are dumb
More likely to be accurate also lol

Last edited by Ingenieur; 08-03-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2014 | 10:00 PM

MY19AMG GT-C; MY14C63-507 - former Audi B6 S4
Originally Posted by sn4p
Hi guys! I'm new to this forum, just got a black 507 edition.

I'm thinking about babying it the first 1000 miles (keep it under 4500 rpm). The first oil change is scheduled at 20,000 miles, I'm probably gonna do it at around 5000 just for the heck of it.

Just wanted to know your opinions/thoughts about this. I know some people say "drive it as you stole it" from day one but I kind of doubt that this is the best way to break in a merc, even though it's very tempting to floor it (takes a lot of self control not to).

I debated on adding a post to this thread. There seems to be quite a bit of passion in the thread. Also, for whatever reason, Break-In Procedure, What Oil to Use and which tune to run seems to cause all kinds of angst among the group!

With this said, I am going to post up what the Head Foreman at my dealer told me before taking delivery of the car. He has been to Affalterbach for training and other AMG events around the globe. If you search for post created by my username, you will find the entire Q&A session with the Head Foreman. In any event, here is what he said:

Break in.
The head foreman has been in the automotive business for 50 years with 30 of those years at MB. Started off doing mechanic work with racing (dirt track, SCCA GTP series, continues to do work with Mustang series racing). His direct quote, "you will talk to 100 different people and get 100 different opinions on break in." From his perspective, one ought to break in the car as you will be driving the car in the future. With the new processes now with manufacturing, the sealing ought to be good to go from the factory. As has been stated here, the oil consumption issues seen on cars usually is down to the sealings. The most important thing with our cars is to ensure the oil is up to temperature! Don't go out and beat on the car when the text is blue. Other than that, have fun with the car. Break it in as you will drive it.

As someone has stated here, it is up to the buyer to decide which procedure to use.

Happy

-C
Old 08-04-2014 | 10:08 AM
Banned

C63 AMG
So, a mechanic gives advice contrary to his employers written instructions?
AMG has only 1 opinion which they actually put in writing.

I was told by an engineer who works for Mahle (they make pistons/rings/cylinder coatings for MB, BMW, and many others) that break in is MORE important now due to the vapor deposited coatings and other polishing/machining techniques used on modern cars.
Damage them during break in and count on power loss and oil consmption issues.
Also more internal friction, heat, wear and higher fuel consumption.
Talk to any airplane power unit mechanic about the importance of break in.
This is NOT opinon based, this is engineering based and proven over time.

To each their own but AMG must feel pretty strong about it since they actually put it in the manual.
As did BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, et al

Last edited by Ingenieur; 08-04-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-04-2014 | 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
ok folks.

explain what happens at 4600rpm that doesn't happen at 4400rpm?

What magically changes at 1000 miles?

The break in instructions are written by attorneys, just like the rest of the manual.

Finally, I don't care what you coat the surface of the cylinders with, the rings need cylinder pressure.

Now, since you listed the SAE papers, would you like to post the full study. The abstract doesn't really say anything of value.
Old 08-04-2014 | 10:53 AM
Banned

C63 AMG
difference 4400 vs 4600 is 200 rpm?
Big difference 4400 vs 7200
Your arguement is absurd
Stress increases as the square of the speed
So does waer and heat generated
When maching something you start slow and finish with a high speed polish
Same for engine break in
Diminishing returns
Beyond a 1000 strokes with sandpaper the surface doesn't get any smoother
500 is not enough, 1500 too much , 1000 optimum

Lawyers do not write the manual
Tech writers do
Based on input from designers, engineers and even lawyers

The break in procedure is for the health of the engine
Not liability
Although there is a secondary benefit less warranty issues and higher customer satisfaction

Of course the rings need pressure to seat lol
There is a gap and heat expands them to shrink the gap and enhance the seal
Big difference bewteen raw iron and Ni coated alloy
If the mean eff cyl press is too high the sharp edges of the rings will scratch the walls
Hence light loads until they are buffed/rounded/mated

Poor lawyers blamed for everything lol
The SAE paper is for members only and is copywrited
It does show there is a whole field of study on break in not written by lawyers

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
ok folks.

explain what happens at 4600rpm that doesn't happen at 4400rpm?

What magically changes at 1000 miles?

The break in instructions are written by attorneys, just like the rest of the manual.

Finally, I don't care what you coat the surface of the cylinders with, the rings need cylinder pressure.

Now, since you listed the SAE papers, would you like to post the full study. The abstract doesn't really say anything of value.

Last edited by Ingenieur; 08-04-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-06-2014 | 12:43 PM

2014 C63 AMG 507
I totally get the 4500 rpm limit, but why on earth do they also recommend keeping it below 140 km/h? I drove it at 230 km/h and the rpm was at 4300. I think this might apply to old 5 speed gearboxes when 140 km/h would have an rpm at around 4500, but not with the current 7 speed gearboxes. Or what do you think?
Old 08-06-2014 | 01:28 PM

2011 C63
Originally Posted by sn4p
I totally get the 4500 rpm limit, but why on earth do they also recommend keeping it below 140 km/h? I drove it at 230 km/h and the rpm was at 4300. I think this might apply to old 5 speed gearboxes when 140 km/h would have an rpm at around 4500, but not with the current 7 speed gearboxes. Or what do you think?
The speed limit is for breaking in the rearend gears.
Old 08-06-2014 | 03:29 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by glennhl
The speed limit is for breaking in the rearend gears.
This
And wheel bearings, driveshaft joints, Cv's, etc
Old 08-06-2014 | 04:44 PM

2011 C63
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
This
And wheel bearings, driveshaft joints, Cv's, etc
Most likely, yes. However, whenever I have bought a new rearend ring and pinion gear set, there is a note for a required break-in period ranging from 500 to 1000 miles. However, I've also replaced CV joints and front wheel bearings (I've owned some older cars in my lifetime) and I have never seen a note for a break-in period. But I agree with you, it's good to break-in any mechanical device.
Old 08-06-2014 | 04:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E90 M3, F80 M3, C63 507, F90 M5
Drive it how you will be driving her in the future
Old 08-06-2014 | 05:43 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mode Carbon
Drive it how you will be driving her in the future
It comes down to this:
The manual written by the folks who built the car
Or
'Feelings' or 'beliefs' of those with dubious or no qualifications and not invested in the outcome...if the followers of this dubious advice have an issue will the givers of said ridiculous advice ante up to fix any related problem?

I can tell anyone anything if I have no responsibility for the outcome...

Most people smart enough to afford these cars are smart enough to follow the mfgs recommended practice and ignore BS LOL

Last edited by Ingenieur; 08-06-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2014 | 08:01 PM

2011 C63
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
It comes down to this:
The manual written by the folks who built the car
Or
'Feelings' or 'beliefs' of those with dubious or no qualifications and not invested in the outcome...if the followers of this dubious advice have an issue will the givers of said ridiculous advice ante up to fix any related problem?

I can tell anyone anything if I have no responsibility for the outcome...

Most people smart enough to afford these cars are smart enough to follow the mfgs recommended practice and ignore BS LOL
Old 08-06-2014 | 08:26 PM

C63 coupe P31, '11 G37s, '12 RR Evoque Prestige '10 QX56
Anyone that states "drive it like you stole it/will drive it" doesn't know/understand that these engine/drivetrain/transmission parts are all machined within tolerances. I'm not exactly sure of MB's/AMG's requirements, but, if for instance, they're 0.001cm, then "break in" is for conditioning everything after that "1". You can break it in gently with minimal wear/friction, or you can sledgehammer it together and call it a day.

I broke mine in gently on the "carbahn".