C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Installing LED DLRs and Ornamental Cover for them

Old 09-13-2014, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
Installing LED DLRs and Ornamental Cover for them

I sold a DLR and an ornamental cover from my 2014 507 last week. In that context I got questions on how easy/not it is to install those. Given I have the original bumper from my 507 in my basement, I offered to take a couple of pictures from behind the bumper for illustration.

Observations:
The DLRs and ornamental cover clip in separately. The cover can be removed without the DLR. The bumper is a complex structure of nested injection molded parts and both light and cover clip in very securely. Specifically the ornamental cover clips in at 8! spots and it takes significant force and a prying tool wedging in at every clip from behind to get them off. Trying to do any of that with the bumper on (from below after removing the undercar tray) is a huge challenge - not sure it can be done at all.

By the way - the bumper I have is like new and for sale. Just a bit dusty from the bodyshop. Let me know if someone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails Installing LED DLRs and Ornamental Cover for them-img_0982.jpg   Installing LED DLRs and Ornamental Cover for them-img_0983.jpg   Installing LED DLRs and Ornamental Cover for them-img_0984.jpg   Installing LED DLRs and Ornamental Cover for them-img_0985.jpg   Installing LED DLRs and Ornamental Cover for them-img_0986.jpg  

Old 09-14-2014, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY12 C63 P/P
Thanks for the post... I'd love it if I could swap my chrome DRL covers out for the black 507 ones but it seems that's a pretty tall ask (I'm also tipping that MB won't sell them separately and I'd need the entire DRL assembly or even the bumper).
I could dip or paint them but this way it'd be easier to go back if I didn't like the look.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
Getting the black covers is easy. They are completely separate from the lights and can be ordered at any dealership or one of several online sources. I don't remember the cost off the top of my head, but am guessing just a bit under 100$ a piece.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY12 C63 P/P
Originally Posted by Wobble64
Getting the black covers is easy. They are completely separate from the lights and can be ordered at any dealership or one of several online sources. I don't remember the cost off the top of my head, but am guessing just a bit under 100$ a piece.
That's great to know... many thanks.

Now the tough part is going to be replacing them without removing the whole front bumper (something I'd like to avoid for a simple cosmetic change such as this).