C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Hate to say it... ANOTHER M156 HEADBOLT ISSUE HERE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 Sedan - Mars Red on Red Pepper
Hate to say it... ANOTHER M156 HEADBOLT ISSUE HERE

My car has 37,000 miles. I was well aware this would happen but not so soon! I did buy the platinum highest and most expensive warranty but it is not factory warranty. It is from Fidelity which I have heard nothing but good things for high line luxury cars.

Has anyone had any experience with aftermarket extended warranty companies and the head bolt issue?

I spoke with the warranty company and they are requesting a tear down of the engine as the Dealer thinks its the head bolts but doesn't have solid proof just yet. If the warranty company denies the claim I must pay all labor for tear down at min to get my car back.. they want my approval for the tear down, any feedback?

Last edited by CSIKTY3; 09-26-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:31 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
GSo it's not headbolts?

There were over 60,000 m156's produced in the affected range
I can't find 10 DOCUMENTED failures, most on tuned cars
0 on euro or UK sites

Audi/VW is having an issue with the 2 liter turbo motor oil consumption
Iirc there is a suit and settlement?
Anyways, in their research the noted it wasn't happening in europe
After looking at ecu's, service records, etc. they determined it was correlated to break in method: closely observed in europe, pretty much disregarded in the US
It was the rings weren't seated properly
One main reason for breaking it in properly
More than a few post on here saying 'drive it like you stole it' off the lot

Could it be the same for headbolts?
If the bolts were gradually 'excercised' or worked during break in does it increase their strength?
Rather than shocking them
Gradually working metal before loading does make it stronger in the long run

Last edited by Ingenieur; 09-25-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
Sucks to hear, makes me reconsider the third party warranty i got...still debating canceling and spending 2x the price for mbefw

Hope they pay your claim, but I personally wouldnt want a total tear down of a hand built engine if the dealer thinks it's head bolts
Old 09-25-2014, 08:11 PM

2009 C 63
Smile

Originally Posted by CSICKT3
My car has 37,000 miles. I was well aware this would happen but not so soon! I did buy the platinum highest and most expensive warranty but it is not factory warranty. It is from Fidelity which I have heard nothing but good nothing about for high line luxury cars.

Has anyone had any experience with aftermarket extended warranty companies and the head bolt issue?

I spoke with the warranty company and they are requesting a tear down of the engine as the Dealer thinks its the head bolts but doesn't have solid proof just yet. If the warranty company denies the claim I must pay all labor for tear down at min to get my car back.. they want my approval for the tear dow
n, any feedback?
sorry to hear of your problem what parts are covered engine wise by your warranty & max. $ payable.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Does it meet the conditions/symptoms on the TSB?
Did they pressurize the cooling system and look for coolant in the cylinder?
Did they pressurize the cylinder and look for bubbles in the expansion tank?
Cross check coolant for oil and oil for coolaant?

It would seem tear down would't be bad
Remove the cams and see if a bolt spins
If it is a bolt will they pay for the tesr down since that must be done for the repair?
Or you only pay if not a bolt?
Might as well replace them if you go that far
Seek goodwill from MB
Old 09-25-2014, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Complete tear down is so stupid.

Do a pressure test. Check oil for coolant like our local engineer said.

If those fail. Remove the engine and pull the heads. Tearing down the bottom end is completely pointless.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
Fidelity was no good with me. Had stuck injector failure on my first C63, and they only footed about 1/3 of the bill ,and I had the highest rated package. It was a miserable experience. They have their own standards to repair, and if the AMG standards are higher or require additional testing or parts, they only cover the bare parts. Then of course Mercedes says if they don't do the full AMG recommended repair and testing, then their work is not warranted.

I paid and moved on, and vowed never to use an aftermarket warranty again!
Old 09-26-2014, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Can you PM me info on your warranty? I looked around for so long, but nobody would warranty an AMG in california and I was past the OEM warranty, so I couldn't get that extended
Old 09-26-2014, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
There were over 60,000 m156's produced in the affected range I can't find 10 DOCUMENTED failures, most on tuned cars
0 on euro or UK sites
Then you aint lookin that hard.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 Weistec Supercharged
I am in UK and know of a few head bolt failures, just in dealer yesterday picking parts up and they had a ML63 in with a snapped head bolt.

There are probably loads more failures but people don't report it on forums....they just take it to dealer and get given a nice courtesy car while there car is fixed. Minimum disruption so therefore no need for them to shout from the rooftops.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
There was 3 or 4 here already. City of 1million.

Why even waste money on warranty. Get the bolts replaced one at a time with studs or upgraded mb bolts and be done with it if your worried. Good seling feature too.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
one thing i was told when i bought my c63 recently is fidelity doesn't cover AMG anymore, guy said they used to have several third party companies and they all dropped amg except for easycare (carchex does too but they dont use them)

I'm assuming they ended up upside down on too many amg warranties
Old 09-26-2014, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
aftermarket warranties blow.

only 37k miles on the car and these are gone? that is no bueno. good luck on the fix!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:36 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
lot of aftermarket warranty companies are not accepting new contracts to cover AMG cars any more
Old 09-26-2014, 12:50 PM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by CSIKTY3
My car has 37,000 miles. I was well aware this would happen but not so soon! I did buy the platinum highest and most expensive warranty but it is not factory warranty. It is from Fidelity which I have heard nothing but good nothing about for high line luxury cars.

I spoke with the warranty company and they are requesting a tear down of the engine as the Dealer thinks its the head bolts but doesn't have solid proof just yet. If the warranty company denies the claim I must pay all labor for tear down at min to get my car back.. they want my approval for the tear down, any feedback?

Sorry to hear about your car, that stinks. Do not agree to anything other than your $100 deductible. I am very curious about how Fidelity handles your claim, as I have the same Fidelity Platinum coverage that I purchased back in March. If they give you a problem then what is the point of coverage and I will consider cancelling my coverage with them.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 09-26-2014, 06:19 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
The head bolts are failing because of a bad design. There is a high stress area of the bolt where the internal wrenching feature is in the bolt's head. They went to an external wrenching feature and got rid of the thin area. Now with that said, I'm guessing it takes a little corrosion to push the bolt over the edge where it will break. I would be very interested in a weibull distribution of bolt failures so far. It's like tracking popcorn popping. For the longest time only a few pop, then they all start popping. I have to tell you, if I had a 2010 or earlier, I think I would be proactive and put in the new headbolts (one at a time).

Also, once a bolt is torqued down, you can not increase the load on it unless you stretch it further (think of a bolt as a spring in tension). The combustion chamber pressure is not enough to push the head off it's gasket, at least for a normally aspirated engine, therefore the bolt stresses do not go up with the engine running. The only thing that really increases the bolt loads is if the head thermally expands more than the bolts. And again, I'm sure Mercedes accounted for that. So running your NA Engine hard does not increase your bolt stresses any more than running it normally.

As far as the OP, I would not be at all surprised if it turns out to be a head bolt failure and if it is, I am also willing to bet that your warranty will cover the work. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:42 PM

I agreed to the tear down yesterday dealer called me today and they have confirmed the headbolts are broken, They told me the head gasket leaking is covered over the phone but I didnt get into specific asking about headbolt. They will inspect the car Tuesday I will update as I get more info.

Funny enough I too heard aftermarket warranties cut AMG and M cars but it I honestly heard only good things about Fedelity so im crossing my fingers

Last edited by CSIKTY3; 09-26-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:01 PM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
C63
I see that you have a tune, did you flash back to stock prior to going to MB dealership?
Old 09-26-2014, 08:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
I would start with Mercedes Benz. This is a known problem no matter how dumb they pretend to be about it. What is known is that there was a head bolt redesign in 2011. Why was that? Hmmmm....speak right up?

I'd start with Mercedes. They need to own this if it was headbolt failure. Heck with the warranty company at this point in time.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by -Marlin-
I would start with Mercedes Benz. This is a known problem no matter how dumb they pretend to be about it. What is known is that there was a head bolt redesign in 2011. Why was that? Hmmmm....speak right up?

I'd start with Mercedes. They need to own this if it was headbolt failure. Heck with the warranty company at this point in time.
yea they all act like its not a common problem
Old 09-26-2014, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by AMG6.3
I see that you have a tune, did you flash back to stock prior to going to MB dealership?
No, the dealer does not delete the tune (as far as I know)
Old 09-26-2014, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by -Marlin-

Unfortunatly everyone I know with this has tried and has failed. Mercedes does not want to own up to it..
Old 09-26-2014, 10:12 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by average joe
I am in UK and know of a few head bolt failures, just in dealer yesterday picking parts up and they had a ML63 in with a snapped head bolt.

There are probably loads more failures but people don't report it on forums....they just take it to dealer and get given a nice courtesy car while there car is fixed. Minimum disruption so therefore no need for them to shout from the rooftops.
Except they are paying for it
The affected cars are out of warranty
People like to gripe
Remember the e46 M3 rod bearing issue? It was all over the web
We have a thread on this forum
We have tens of 1000's of members
A large % in the c63 forum
Only a few posts with any proof: pics, in oice, etc
This with cars approaching 8 years old and higher mileage
Everybody says their dealer is fixing dozens lol
My 4 local dealers say they have done none
Old 09-26-2014, 10:18 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by CSIKTY3
yea they all act like its not a common problem
Only MB knows the stats
If they saw it was likely or a high percentage they would be proactive
Especially in the land of class action litigation
They like their odds, they know there won't be many and they can manage it with good will contributions
Old 09-26-2014, 10:36 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
Only MB knows the stats
If they saw it was likely or a high percentage they would be proactive
Especially in the land of class action litigation
They like their odds, they know there won't be many and they can manage it with good will contributions
Or, just maybe, they have already run the Weibull plot and know that most of the failures will happen outside of warranty, therefore they do not need to do a recall. These failures are going to get worse, not better, and I'm betting we are in the first part of the Weibull plot and the popcorn is really going to start popping a few years from now. Remember, someone in this thread said it was most likely not a head bolt issue. I stuck my neck out and said it was.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hate to say it... ANOTHER M156 HEADBOLT ISSUE HERE