C63 AMG and E92 M3 DCT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F10 M5
C63 AMG and E92 M3 DCT

Hi. Thanks for the great forum.

New member here not residing in the USA. American muscle cars got me hooked on V8’s….

I am shopping around for a C63 AMG. Love the engine and have always enjoyed the look of the car, especially the sedan.

I was hoping to hear from anyone who has owned both the C63 AMG and E92 M3 DCT. I currently own the E92 M3 DCT and I rate it very highly.

The C63 AMG appeals to me because I have always loved V8’s and the C63 AMG is most likely going to be one of the last naturally aspirated V8’s to come out of AMG. The E92 is certainly one of the last NA engines to come out of the M division. I hope I am wrong but one can’t stand in the way of progress and/or emission standards.

I am most likely going to keep the M3 and want to buy an AMG 63 for occasional commute and track use. Any thoughts or comments? I have not driven one yet but have found a few leads for good cars. By the way I am aware of the headbolt issue. If I can buy a 2008 or 2009 that suits my budget better but the headbolt issue may force me to buy a late 2011.

I noticed that the Nurburgring lap times for the C63 AMG and the E92 M3 are not too dissimilar, in my books +/-10 seconds is not much over a 8 minute lap. It’s all pretty academic for me as I would struggle to attain those times without lots and lots of practice. I just like to use Nurburgring lap times as a gauge or comparison between power and handling.

Thoughts appreciated and please understand that I am not posting this thread to praise one car versus another. I think these are both great examples of naturally aspirated V8’s and they are both amazing - I would want to own both…..

Last edited by VFAN; 10-20-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:56 PM

2012 c63 coupe
I came from e93 BMW m3 to w204 c63 coupe . And I am happy with it.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C63 coupe P31
I came from a 135i with DCT and I can tell you what disappoints me with the C:
* The transmission is not as good as a DCT, although smoother, and it won't drop two gears at once in manual mode (it won't stack up commands with the paddles). Very frustrating sometimes
* The COMAND system is far behind BMW's iDrive system in terms of ergonomics
* Lots of creaking sounds all the time.

That's pretty much it. Other than that, love the power, love the sound, love the car
Old 10-20-2014, 06:54 PM

C63
Keep the M3 for track and C63 for daily.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:48 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
2010 C63
In 2012 I was shopping exclusively for E92 M3's. I was searching for the perfect combination of DCT/Technology package/miles/color and never quite found the right one. Since the M3 was always rated higher by the myriad of reviewers - and for the same reason (superb handling) I had decided to focus only on that. One dealer that I frequented for their M3's kept trying to get me to give their C63 a test drive and I turned them down each time. Finally, after a fourth visit to their dealership, and another M3 not quite right, I decided to take the C63 out. I was immediately convinced.

The torque, the power, the exhaust note, and the ample handling convinced me that the C63 would be a great DD.

I had no definite plans to track whichever car I bought (at first). But I do now hit the track quite often and I have seen lots of M3's out there with me. I have been on short and intense tracks and the longer Circuit Of The America's. At COTA, I passed M3's ALL DAY. At the smaller track I've played cat and mouse with a beautiful white M3. He couldn't get away from me and I couldn't get away from him either.

My point being, with Average Joe's behind the wheel, the M3 didn't stand up well versus the C63. I like the M3 but I like my C63 better.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:38 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Clark Kent
In 2012 I was shopping exclusively for E92 M3's. I was searching for the perfect combination of DCT/Technology package/miles/color and never quite found the right one. Since the M3 was always rated higher by the myriad of reviewers - and for the same reason (superb handling) I had decided to focus only on that. One dealer that I frequented for their M3's kept trying to get me to give their C63 a test drive and I turned them down each time. Finally, after a fourth visit to their dealership, and another M3 not quite right, I decided to take the C63 out. I was immediately convinced.

The torque, the power, the exhaust note, and the ample handling convinced me that the C63 would be a great DD.

I had no definite plans to track whichever car I bought (at first). But I do now hit the track quite often and I have seen lots of M3's out there with me. I have been on short and intense tracks and the longer Circuit Of The America's. At COTA, I passed M3's ALL DAY. At the smaller track I've played cat and mouse with a beautiful white M3. He couldn't get away from me and I couldn't get away from him either.

My point being, with Average Joe's behind the wheel, the M3 didn't stand up well versus the C63. I like the M3 but I like my C63 better.
+1 I was looking for a e90 M3 low miles good condition etc. Friend of my told Me to look at a C63.. A little research and one test drive and for the last 2 weeks I own 2011 (21,000 miles) C63 in great condition. I am coming out of a e92 335i and have owned 6 BMW's.. I am very pleased with MB.