Sponsored by:

New C63 owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 10:06 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
09 Carrera S, , 03 F250 CC FX4
Originally Posted by sinape62
Nice to see some C63 owners in ATL. I've only seen two others where I work at Hartsfield Jackson.
I don't live in Ga but I do layover at the ATL airport a good bit. Lool
Old 11-03-2014, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by jptaylor
Remember, jack the rear end up, put in neutral, spin a tire by hand....other tire same direction=LSD...
.other tire opposite direction = open differential
I thought that was only applicable in full on locker rears. The LSD's in my prior cars didn't do that I don't believe.
Either way, I will get it on a jack or lift soon.

Maybe my terminology is rusty but open diff to me is single wheel pull only with no clutch packs in the carrier to engage the other wheel like a LSD

Last edited by QWKSNKE; 11-03-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:00 AM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
I thought that was only applicable in full on locker rears. The LSD's in my prior cars didn't do that I don't believe.
Either way, I will get it on a jack or lift soon.

Maybe my terminology is rusty but open diff to me is single wheel pull only with no clutch packs in the carrier to engage the other wheel like a LSD
Limited Slip, Locker and Spool will all spin the same direction when the rear is lifted and tranny is in NEUTRAL (must be in neutral). Open Differential will always spin opposite direction.

Locker is exactly what it sounds like, the rear wheels are mechanically locked together inside the carrier, however some (Automatic Locker) have the ability to ratchet to an unlocked position when a sideload is applied(Detroit, Quik-Lok, etc do this so the outside tire doesnt get drug through a corner and so when tight turning in a parking lot...that is why on vehicles with lockers you will sometimes hear a gunshot sound during slow speed turn, that "bang" is the mechanicals of the locker disengaging and is perfectly normal). The downside to Automatic Lockers in performance applications is that when exiting a hard corner the locker will re-engage which can literally throw the vehicle into a spin, ESPECIALLY short wheelbase vehicles. However they are great for trucks and drag racing

A spool, in layman's terms, is a solid steel coupler that permanently affixes the axle shafts together, no matter the circumstances the rear axles turn at the same rotational speed. AWESOME traction in a straight line or off road but VERY tricky to drive on the street as the rear slides one rear tire through EVERY corner, ALWAYS!

Limited Slip, or Positive Traction (Posi) units use some form of overcomable friction device (clutches, cones or spring loaded gears) to transfer power to the wheel with no traction. They are IDEAL for performance driving as they are smooth during operation and do NOT have enough mechanical holding power to drag the outside tire through a turn. They DO wear out and get weaker over time though as they operate by use of consumable friction material inside the carrier. There is a great trick to an LSD though that not many people know of....lets say you park in a grass field for a car show and while your there it showers...you go to leave and find that one rear tire is spinning like hell and the other just rocks a little then stops (this is because the friction material doesnt have the holding power to transfer power to the other tire because the one getting power has ZERO traction)....YOU ARE STUCK!!! Well, maybe not...if you bring the tires to a stop then apply the emergency brake partially, then add throttle VERY slowly chances are you will drive right off....why? Because by applying the ebrake you limited the power to the spinning wheel and both rear axles now have similar traction levels...the same can work on an open differential as well but no where nearly as well as with the LSD.

Last edited by jptaylor; 11-04-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by jptaylor
if you bring the tires to a stop then apply the emergency brake partially, then add throttle VERY slowly chances are you will drive right off....why? Because by applying the ebrake you limited the power to the spinning wheel and both rear axles now have similar traction levels...the same can work on an open differential as well but no where nearly as well as with the LSD.

yep