C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continental ContiSportContact 5P vs ExtremeContact DW - Opinions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
Originally Posted by rentzington
i swear if i as much as drive through a puddle they slip once i'm past it.
not a ton or anything thats really concerning but enough that i just avoid driving it in rain.
We recently had a lot of rain here in the Dallas area, I am sure you saw it on the news, and I had no problem on wet roads at all.

Here is a link from Tirerack.com, they have a video review of the PSS towards the bottom of the page: Pilot Super Sport
Old 07-03-2015, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by JRHolt
We recently had a lot of rain here in the Dallas area, I am sure you saw it on the news, and I had no problem on wet roads at all.

Here is a link from Tirerack.com, they have a video review of the PSS towards the bottom of the page: Pilot Super Sport
Hah yeah, I'm in Dallas area too. I may just be used to my truck in wet weather, the pss are t bad but I certainly notice when they get wet
Old 07-06-2015, 10:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Jag F-Type V8
Swapping out the new rear Conti DW tires with stock Conti 5ps as I write this. Hopefully all will be back to normal once the swap is done. I'll confirm for everyone if the swaying and floating feeling goes completely away (I am sure it will). Also this will answer the question as to whether you can just replace the rears with DW tires when you have stock fronts on a 2012 coupe.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:06 PM

Jag F-Type V8
Update: It was the tires. The Contisport Extreme Contact DW had way too soft of a sidewall to be paired with the Contisport Contact 5ps tires up front. The car now has 5PS all around and drives like it came off the factory line. I would NOT recommend the Extreme Contact DW to anyone.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by jmueller
Update: It was the tires. The Contisport Extreme Contact DW had way too soft of a sidewall to be paired with the Contisport Contact 5ps tires up front. The car now has 5PS all around and drives like it came off the factory line. I would NOT recommend the Extreme Contact DW to anyone.
Glad you got it fixed, I had a feeling it was the mismatched tires I had the same issue before with mixng types
Old 07-13-2015, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Didnt ready any posts but for me DWs hands down -Ive had both.

Ive had over 7 different max summer tires/rcomps on a c63 and my friend owns a tire shop. I even think I prefer the DWs to PSS, my only irritation is the 'smaller' side wall (not softer). Overall best performing tires Ive run have been the Dunlop R Comps, and best summer tire is the DW or PSS they are basically a wash for me.

Last edited by VaclavSV; 07-13-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by jmueller
Nice. Glad you got the problem resolved. I missed the part where you were driving around on a mismatched set of tires.

I have never "mixed" tires on the street. And for daily driving, I prefer my ExtremeContact DW tires over the 5Ps that came with my car (which I sold). The 5Ps are very solid performance tires but they're a little noisy and have quite a firm ride. Their rival competitor from Michelin, the PSS, are a little bit more polished in both those respects (i.e., noise and ride comfort).

In all of the DW reviews, the tires have performed very well (e.g., best-in-class wet handling). And in those reviews, the DWs were going head-to-head against gold standard performance tires like the Michelin PSS.

"More than any other tire in the dry, this DW was resilient when driven aggressively. Grip fell off predictably, and holding the edge of performance was easy. Recovery from a slide was also quick work."

"The wet half had us gushing. It was by far the handiest tire on the irrigated autocross and secured a marginal, 0.1-second victory over the Michelin. This tire did as it was told every time. “Excellent wet performance!” declared Geswein. Communication was top-notch, which earned the Conti a subjective perfect 10 in the wet."

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...tact-dw-page-6

Based on my experience with the DWs, the experiences of other members here, and the available DW reviews, I think the lesson learned here is don't mix tires with substantially different levels of sidewall firmness.

Looking over some of the crucial specs, the DWs have a higher UTQG (340) than the 5Ps (280) and both sets of tires have the exact same speed rating, temperature grade (A), and traction grade (AA).
Old 07-13-2015, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by VaclavSV
. . . but for me DWs hands down -Ive had both.

Ive had over 7 different max summer tires/rcomps on a c63 and my friend owns a tire shop. I even think I prefer the DWs to PSS, my only irritation is the 'smaller' side wall (not softer). Overall best performing tires Ive run have been the Dunlop R Comps, and best summer tire is the DW or PSS they are basically a wash for me.
Exactly my thoughts as well. For daily driving purposes, I'll always be thrilled with either the PSS or the DWs.

We're getting about 2 inches of rain per day right now (it's insane; under a tornado warning as I type this) and even on completely soaked streets in driving/pouring rain, my DWs never flinch.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by zibby43
Exactly my thoughts as well. For daily driving purposes, I'll always be thrilled with either the PSS or the DWs.

We're getting about 2 inches of rain per day right now (it's insane; under a tornado warning as I type this) and even on completely soaked streets in driving/pouring rain, my DWs never flinch.
I forgot to mention wet performance! The reason I jumped to the DW in the first place was because I was caught in the rain at 2 degrees celsius on worn Rcomps.... I got to experience what no grip what so ever felt like
Old 07-14-2015, 09:29 AM

Jag F-Type V8
Was trying my best to get a set of PSS, but they were out of stock everywhere. Hopefully I can give them a shot on my next set.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by rentzington
i got the 5ps on the rear last week because it was the best the place had in stock at the time. havent had much of a true test but so far I can say I wish they gripped a little better than they do considering the price.

correction i got Continental ControlContact Sport AS - they said these are a new version, if you can believe a tiresalesman
The ControlContact Sport AS is Discount Tires version of the ExtremeContact DWS http://j.mp/1Jw4UZS. As for perfomance it is comparable to the DWS, but is a UHP All Season, not a dedicated summer tires like the DW or CSC 5P.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55, CLK55, C63BS
Had the same problem !!! Needed new rear on my c 63 B S and wantedto replace with OE M Contenentat but back ordered till ???? So tire rack recommended Conti extreme contact D W tuned A Better tire !!! Well same unsafe loose rear end on turning the wheel at any speed !!!! Tried diff erent pressures !! No help Had to BUY the same tire for the front !!! Did solve the problem Haven't had any issues since !!! Really felt UNSAFE before Tire Rack should tell people that in adv ance Don't mix and match!!!!