WTB C63 newbie questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 12:05 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
1993 Competition Yellow Mica Mazda RX-7 and 2009 C63
WTB C63 newbie questions

Hey all,

I'm in the market for a used C63. I heard one and I'm hooked. I've read about the head bolt issue which unfortunately for me I can only afford older models from 2008-2010. So I plan to get an extended warranty.

The plan is to have a nice daily driver. But I do have some questions.

1) The cars are pretty loaded, what options were available?
2) What are the differences from model year 2008-2010? Was anything available in 2010 that might be a "must have" worth spending a little extra on?
3) Is there an FAQ? I tried looking around but didn't see it yet.

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to learning more about these cars.

D3
Old 11-20-2014, 12:58 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
not sure if i can list every single option available on the cars, but the main things to make sure you get are the lighting package with the xenon lights and the leather seats and navigation.

there was a p30 package available in 2009 that kind of varied. i believe it came with an LSD and an alcantara leather steering wheel. i think it also had a rougher suspension.

it was replaced by a p31 package in 2010. LSD was now not included. it came with an increase in HP, some SLS engine internals, red brake calipers, and a carbon fiber spoiler.

i don't believe there are any body differences except for the side mirror covers changed in 2010. you can swap those out from ebay for about $150. they're really easy to do yourself.

the head bolt issue is costly if it occurs, but it's been heavily debated as to how often it actually occurs. i, personally, don't think it's very common at all, but you never know.

i would just try to find whatever car you like. you can get your engine tuned for less than $1000 which basically gives you the same performance as a p31 engine. you can paint the calipers red if you want the p31 look, but i opted to paint mine a different color. i would forego getting the extended warranty, because these cars don't really have a lot of issues and would instead use that money on mods. no reason not to get a tune and there are a lot of carbon fiber parts that enhance the look of the vehicle as well.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by JPetros2008
not sure if i can list every single option available on the cars, but the main things to make sure you get are the lighting package with the xenon lights and the leather seats and navigation.
I'm mostly looking to understand when I see P1 P2. It seems every car I find comes with Nav/Sunroof/Memory Seats, etc. so it seems like those were part of the base car.
there was a p30 package available in 2009 that kind of varied. i believe it came with an LSD and an alcantara leather steering wheel. i think it also had a rougher suspension.
Yeah, I'd like to get the LSD but since it will be a daily driver it probably isn't critical. I have an RX-7 for a track toy.
i don't believe there are any body differences except for the side mirror covers changed in 2010. you can swap those out from ebay for about $150. they're really easy to do yourself.
Yeah, what about some that I see with the marker lights on the front fender and some just have a body color square? Part of the lighting package?

the head bolt issue is costly if it occurs, but it's been heavily debated as to how often it actually occurs. i, personally, don't think it's very common at all, but you never know.
Yeah, I'd be curious what the statistics are.

Good to know. As I mentioned, not planning to do much but will be tempted to toss a little CF here and there. I also found a door lighting kit that projects AMG on the ground when you open the doors and some LEDs that won't trip the CANBUS for the front.

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2014, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by D3-AMG
I'm mostly looking to understand when I see P1 P2. It seems every car I find comes with Nav/Sunroof/Memory Seats, etc. so it seems like those were part of the base car.
The easiest way to identify P1 vs P2 is the fold down rear seats and LED tail lamps.

Yeah, I'd like to get the LSD but since it will be a daily driver it probably isn't critical. I have an RX-7 for a track toy.
You can easily purchase an aftermarket LSD for around 1k and have it installed.

Yeah, what about some that I see with the marker lights on the front fender and some just have a body color square? Part of the lighting package?
That's an aftermarket mod. People buy markers and change them to clear/smoked markers or have their own markers painted to match the body color.

Yeah, I'd be curious what the statistics are.

Good to know. As I mentioned, not planning to do much but will be tempted to toss a little CF here and there. I also found a door lighting kit that projects AMG on the ground when you open the doors and some LEDs that won't trip the CANBUS for the front.

Thanks!
The biggest difference between 2010 and the prior years are the option to purchase the performance package P31 vs. P30, Keyless Go became an option, and change in design for the side mirrors.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Most of your questions have been answered.
As far as the mirrors are concerned there is a design difference on 2010 model. It is not only the cover but the whole unit. These mirrors are smaller. I had a set for sale but sold it last week.
I have my C63 for sale if interested.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...c63-sedan.html
Old 11-20-2014, 06:37 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
09 Carrera S, , 03 F250 CC FX4
In regards to LSD it appears that all came with it. The difference is in the 'type' of LSD. The base came with a open diff with clutch packs. Whereas the optional lsd is more mechanical like the Wave or Quaife
Old 11-20-2014, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
In regards to LSD it appears that all came with it. The difference is in the 'type' of LSD. The base came with a open diff with clutch packs. Whereas the optional lsd is more mechanical like the Wave or Quaife
That is absolutely incorrect. Our cars all come with differentials, not limited slip differentials. Open differentials do not have clutch packs.

http://www.drivingfast.net/technology/differentials.htm
Old 11-20-2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by I am Jeff
That is absolutely incorrect. Our cars all come with differentials, not limited slip differentials. Open differentials do not have clutch packs.

http://www.drivingfast.net/technology/differentials.htm
Ok. My non LSD equipped car will spin the **** out of both tires. If all non P30/31 cars came with an open diff with no clutches, (as is communicated everyday on this site)then that should not occur.

In regards to open diffs never having clutches, your link you provided disagrees.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok. My non LSD equipped car will spin the **** out of both tires. If all non P30/31 cars came with an open diff with no clutches, (as is communicated everyday on this site)then that should not occur.

In regards to open diffs never having clutches, your link you provided disagrees.
The OEM open differential in my garage does not have a clutch. You can believe what you will like, but not all cars come with lsd.

Did you buy your car new? I can tell you that I had my car on the lift at 1000 miles to have my quaife lsd installed.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:06 PM

No. I did not buy my car new. But the 2008 owners manual specifies that the C63 came with a LSD and references a fluid change at 3k miles but all experts here say 'no' that is not true.
In theory, a open diff would be a spider gear setup and only single wheel pull(no clutches). However, any ford/most chevrolet Limited slip is a open style diff with clutch packs setup in the carrier. This I do know as I have rebuilt and performed many ring/pinion changes in the last 20 years in both.
However, I did speak out based on assumption of what is communicated on this forum and how MY car behaves. I will refrain from this subject until I have had an opportunity to pop the cover off my car and inspect.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No. I did not buy my car new. But the 2008 owners manual specifies that the C63 came with a LSD and references a fluid change at 3k miles but all experts here say 'no' that is not true.
In theory, a open diff would be a spider gear setup and only single wheel pull(no clutches). However, any ford/most chevrolet Limited slip is a open style diff with clutch packs setup in the carrier. This I do know as I have rebuilt and performed many ring/pinion changes in the last 20 years in both.
However, I did speak out based on assumption of what is communicated on this forum and how MY car behaves. I will refrain from this subject until I have had an opportunity to pop the cover off my car and inspect.
No worries. If you aren't doing dog legged burnouts, I wouldn't blame you for thinking that you have a lsd. The previous owner could have put an aftermarket one in. I was doing 1 wheel burnouts prior to installing my lsd.

The manual makes reference to doing differential fluid changes, but according to my tech and advisor, that only applies to the folks with the optional lsd. The manual is vague, but what makes matters worse is that some stealer ships use that wording as justification for charging for a differential fluid change.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by I am Jeff
No worries. If you aren't doing dog legged burnouts, I wouldn't blame you for thinking that you have a lsd. The previous owner could have put an aftermarket one in. I was doing 1 wheel burnouts prior to installing my lsd.

The manual makes reference to doing differential fluid changes, but according to my tech and advisor, that only applies to the folks with the optional lsd. The manual is vague, but what makes matters worse is that some stealer ships use that wording as justification for charging for a differential fluid change.
What confuses me is that (to my knowledge) this was not in option in 2008. So why even mention it?
Old 11-20-2014, 09:33 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
My 2009 did not have a LSD
The data card indicated such
I could tell by the way it drove also
I had a wavetrac installed
I have the oem in the garage: open diff no clutch pack
Old 11-21-2014, 05:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG - PP+

it was replaced by a p31 package in 2010. LSD was now not included. it came with an increase in HP, some SLS engine internals, red brake calipers, and a carbon fiber spoiler.

i would just try to find whatever car you like. you can get your engine tuned for less than $1000 which basically gives you the same performance as a p31 engine. you can paint the calipers red if you want the p31 look, but i opted to paint mine a different color. i would forego getting the extended warranty, because these cars don't really have a lot of issues and would instead use that money on mods. no reason not to get a tune and there are a lot of carbon fiber parts that enhance the look of the vehicle as well.

Great post, pretty comprehensive description of the models
Old 11-29-2014, 10:39 PM

Telematics differences?

Thanks all for the info on LSD. Sorry abcut I had seen your post but 1) I wasn't ready to buy and 2) I'm trying to get closer to 50k miles or less.

Are there significant differences between 2009 and 2010 for the telematics? How about between 2010 and 2011?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2014, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
No worries car is already gone.
As for the difference in telematics there are no real difference between 2008 to 2011. The change is with the facelift model. There might be some updates available but no drastic diffrences.