C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Custom X pipe enquiry.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 PP+, 2014
Exclamation Custom X pipe enquiry.

Hello guys, i own a 2014 C63 with the Performance Package Plus. I wanted to know what to tell the custom x pipe makers to do, I mean shall they remove before the noise resonators or after. Any one can link a post or at least tell me how did they do it.

Many Thanks.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Most people are replacing the second set of cats with an x-pipe, h-pipe or straight pipes. Then if you want it louder still replace the resonator with straight pipes.

Search the site a little as there is tons of posts and opinions about this.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
All other things being equal, a properly designed X-pipe will make the car QUIETER, not louder. If you replace the cats then that's the source of the increased volume, not the X-pipe itself. The purpose of an X-pipe is to aid in exhaust gas scavenging, which minimizes the pressure differential between the exhaust gas pulses coming out of the enhaust, making it quieter.

There are X-pipes that are "for show", and then there are X-pipes where some math goes into the actual positioning and design like the angle and diameter of the "X" etc. so that the high gas pressure pulse from one bank of cylinders will be "sucked" and aided by the low pressure from the previous pulse from the other cylinder bank going out. Unless you know what you're doing, I would sugest buying a pre-fabricated one from a reputable exhaust manufacturer who has taken the various variables into the equation and built a pipe that actually aids in exhaust gas scavenging. If the X-pipe on its own makes your engine sound louder instead of quieter, it is doing the opposite of what it's spupposed to do and is actually robbing you of power.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by Diabolis
All other things being equal, a properly designed X-pipe will make the car QUIETER, not louder. If you replace the cats then that's the source of the increased volume, not the X-pipe itself. The purpose of an X-pipe is to aid in exhaust gas scavenging, which minimizes the pressure differential between the exhaust gas pulses coming out of the enhaust, making it quieter.

There are X-pipes that are "for show", and then there are X-pipes where some math goes into the actual positioning and design like the angle and diameter of the "X" etc. so that the high gas pressure pulse from one bank of cylinders will be "sucked" and aided by the low pressure from the previous pulse from the other cylinder bank going out. Unless you know what you're doing, I would sugest buying a pre-fabricated one from a reputable exhaust manufacturer who has taken the various variables into the equation and built a pipe that actually aids in exhaust gas scavenging. If the X-pipe on its own makes your engine sound louder instead of quieter, it is doing the opposite of what it's spupposed to do and is actually robbing you of power.
Very well said!
Old 12-02-2014, 06:35 PM

C63 PP+, 2014
Originally Posted by Diabolis

Thanks for the useful information.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:35 PM

C63 PP+, 2014
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mort
Most people are replacing the second set of cats with an x-pipe, h-pipe or straight pipes. Then if you want it louder still replace the resonator with straight pipes.

Search the site a little as there is tons of posts and opinions about this.
Yup true