C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

ARH Long Tube Headers/200 cell cats/x-pipe install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 09:21 PM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
Is that last picture, is that where the end of the ARH setup meets the stock exhaust? Right at the resonator there? That area is all straight pipe for me now, so I'm trying to judge how the exhaust shop is going to fab something up to work there.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Yes. The end of the arh pipes is where the xpipe meets the stock resonator.
The following users liked this post:
ShaneN. (07-10-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 07:27 PM

2018 e63s edition 1
Well, got them all installed and although it sounds really good, it's REALLY loud, like racecar loud - and this is coming from having no resonators, second cat delete with an h pipe before (not even close to as loud). My car is catless and no resonators, so just the factory mufflers. I wanted a loud car but it's a bit much and it also crackles and pops excessively anytime I let off the throttle, even to coast. I'm waiting to hear back from EC to see if I got a burble tune by accident but I'm also thinking about trying to order the elbow pieces with the 200 cell cats from ARH in the meantime. I just don't know what to expect from them. I really only want a slight bit of the rasp/loudness taken away and a lot of that snap and crackle when I let off the throttle (if it's not tune related). I read a few posts on here saying that the setup is still rather loud with the cats so I'm thinking those catted elbow pieces might be a good purchase for me?
Old 08-23-2018, 10:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ShaneN.
Well, got them all installed and although it sounds really good, it's REALLY loud, like racecar loud - and this is coming from having no resonators, second cat delete with an h pipe before (not even close to as loud). My car is catless and no resonators, so just the factory mufflers. I wanted a loud car but it's a bit much and it also crackles and pops excessively anytime I let off the throttle, even to coast. I'm waiting to hear back from EC to see if I got a burble tune by accident but I'm also thinking about trying to order the elbow pieces with the 200 cell cats from ARH in the meantime. I just don't know what to expect from them. I really only want a slight bit of the rasp/loudness taken away and a lot of that snap and crackle when I let off the throttle (if it's not tune related). I read a few posts on here saying that the setup is still rather loud with the cats so I'm thinking those catted elbow pieces might be a good purchase for me?
Those crackles are not because of burble tune, it happens because you have no stock resonator to cancel out exhaust frequency downstream. I have tried all combinations. PM me your number if you want to hear how each setup sounds. Only cheap and easy way to completely get rid of crackles and raspy sound is install the stock resonator back period.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:38 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by Jaideep Singh

Those crackles are not because of burble tune, it happens because you have no stock resonator to cancel out exhaust frequency downstream. I have tried all combinations. PM me your number if you want to hear how each setup sounds. Only cheap and easy way to completely get rid of crackles and raspy sound is install the stock resonator back period.
Are you not the same guy that asked why I'd want to put in a resonator just 10 posts previous to this one? \/

Why do you want to put a resonator. Crossing exhaust stream twice that’s too in a short length difference can cause turbulence in the flow which would develop eddy’s. Such eddy’s can not only affect your scavanging action but would also increase unnecessary back pressure. Further more it can affect the exhaust tuning wave timing.

I hope it helps.
I don’t know much in acoustic terms but as w.r.t. gas flow mixing exhaust stream twice would not be a very good idea.

Anyways best of luck and please let me know how it sounds.

Regards
Jay
I had a full IPE system that didn't crackle and pop like this. I mean, I love when I get a few as I'm slowing down or coming to a stop but if I'm not pressing the gas it's sounding like a drive by. I don't have the stock resonator and with how that area is all custom now, putting it back in isn't really an option anyways. I could try some random companies resonators but i think that would just change the car and make it sound weird. I'm just wondering if getting the AR elbow sections WITH the 200 cell cats would help take just a tad of the rasp/bark off it (not a must) but more importantly get rid of the mexican cartel gun fire whenever i'm coasting. They'd slip right in place of the catless ones with ease. Seems like the easiest route but I don't know if it'll work? Generally cats seem to get rid of that stuff though.

Last edited by ShaneN.; 08-24-2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Are you not the same guy that asked why I'd want to put in a resonator just 10 posts previous to this one? \/

I had a full IPE system that didn't crackle and pop like this. I mean, I love when I get a few as I'm slowing down or coming to a stop but if I'm not pressing the gas it's sounding like a drive by. I don't have the stock resonator and with how that area is all custom now, putting it back in isn't really an option anyways. I could try some random companies resonators but i think that would just change the car and make it sound weird. I'm just wondering if getting the AR elbow sections WITH the 200 cell cats would help take just a tad of the rasp/bark off it (not a must) but more importantly get rid of the mexican cartel gun fire whenever i'm coasting. They'd slip right in place of the catless ones with ease. Seems like the easiest route but I don't know if it'll work? Generally cats seem to get rid of that stuff though.
yup I am the same guy. In the last two months, I tried almost all the setups and even dyno’d almost all of em. Resonator Wörks the best with x pipe to tame sound and retain power.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:18 PM

2018 e63s edition 1

yup I am the same guy. In the last two months, I tried almost all the setups and even dyno’d almost all of em. Resonator Wörks the best with x pipe to tame sound and retain power.
If you get a few mins you should upload each one to youtube and post them here, curious to see how they each sound and differ.

edit: woke up to a new tune from jerry and ALL of my over run pops, bangs and burbles are gone. I actually don't even have any as I come to a stop like I did when I was stock but at this point I'm probably just getting picky.

Last edited by ShaneN.; 08-24-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:28 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
E63 M157

edit: woke up to a new tune from jerry and ALL of my over run pops, bangs and burbles are gone. I actually don't even have any as I come to a stop like I did when I was stock but at this point I'm probably just getting picky.
So you were accidentally sent a burble tune by mistake & that was the culprit?
Old 08-25-2018, 07:22 PM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by ImportToAMG
So you were accidentally sent a burble tune by mistake & that was the culprit?
I don't know if I can say that, maybe it's my exhaust setup without cars or resonator that contributed. Either way I woke up to another email saying try this one it should fix both things, and it did.

I'm starting to wonder if and how it would be possible to data log and send back what I've found and really have the tune dialed in. Living in western Canada our air and fuel is rather different to you guys in the states, if probably benefit from some data logging.

More back on topic, so with the long tubes, catless x and no resonator the car sounds absolutely amazing if you get on it anywhere between half and full throttle but sometimes driving around slow I get a little bit of trumpety/raspyness to it and overall the car is a bit loud, even for me. I'm thinking about ordering the elbow pieces from ARH that have the high flow cats in them, I'm curious how that might change exhaust note?
Old 11-21-2018, 02:54 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
Okay so I'm pretty sure I'm going to weld back in the stock resonator to my ARH/catless X/no reso setup. I think it'll get rid of a bit of rasp and sound overall pretty good, I'm just worried it'll quiet it down too much at low rpm. Anyone think it'll make MUCH of a difference in the overall loudness?
Old 11-21-2018, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Okay so I'm pretty sure I'm going to weld back in the stock resonator to my ARH/catless X/no reso setup. I think it'll get rid of a bit of rasp and sound overall pretty good, I'm just worried it'll quiet it down too much at low rpm. Anyone think it'll make MUCH of a difference in the overall loudness?
It will definitely help with the loudness and rasp. My setup has the cats and at revs below 3500 rpm, it's just a deeper rumble and not obnoxious.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:17 PM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
It will definitely help with the loudness and rasp. My setup has the cats and at revs below 3500 rpm, it's just a deeper rumble and not obnoxious.
I'm looking to get rid of that part throttle rasp around 2k rpm, at WOT it sounds perfect now. I don't want to lose TOO much loudness though. A bit is fine.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 C63 AMG Coupe 507 ED
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
The 200 cell cats were optional, but I didn't have any CEL after startup. So I'm happy about not having to worry about OBDII inspections.
can you explain your emissions test where you are located? So based on the 200 cell cats your OBD 2 sensors were still ready and reading and you didn’t get a CEL?

Did your tune turn off any o2 sensors in the exhaust?