Sponsored by:

The worst part about the c63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C63amg, 2014 E350 4matic Sport, 2009 Escalade ESV, 2007 GMC Sierra
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Wow... After all that consternation over trading in the e350 now you have some buyers remorse. You would have loved the 2014 e550 My e63s rides very comfortably Do you have 19's? If so the 18's can help a lot
I have 18's.

I think my biggest remorse is that I took a 15k hit on my trade. Ugghh. Talk about getting caught up in the moment.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by rjej84
I have 18's.

I think my biggest remorse is that I took a 15k hit on my trade. Ugghh. Talk about getting caught up in the moment.
Don't feel too bad about that. I did the same thing on back when I traded my C350 for a C63. As my wife always tells me when I have buyers remorse, "You only live once". Just enjoy the car, it's not like you'll feel any better trading in your C63 for another new car and take another $15k hit.

Adjust your tire pressures and your 18's will ride a lot better. It's not really that bad of a ride. My 19's make me appreciate the ride of my 18's.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
Don't feel too bad about that. I did the same thing on back when I traded my C350 for a C63. As my wife always tells me when I have buyers remorse, "You only live once". Just enjoy the car, it's not like you'll feel any better trading in your C63 for another new car and take another $15k hit.

Adjust your tire pressures and your 18's will ride a lot better. It's not really that bad of a ride. My 19's make me appreciate the ride of my 18's.
Proof again women are smarter than men
Old 12-17-2014, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 619 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
She was just adding another "Remember when..." card to her back pocket. Surely he has/will have to pay her back.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,413 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I have 18's.

I recall all those posts about how you needed to convince the wifey

Don't worry... You would be so bored in your e350 if you got it back. You did the right thing for the circumstance at hand. $15k is nothing in the long run.

Do you have airmatic?
Old 12-17-2014, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
She's definitely a keeper!

Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
She was just adding another "Remember when..." card to her back pocket. Surely he has/will have to pay her back.
I think I've given her enough cards to make a whole deck of "Remember when.." I just contributed again to the deck when I got the headers installed last weekend. lolz
Old 12-18-2014, 04:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by ToXicXxX
You pay for the engine, Mercedes was just nice enough to throw in a free basic car shell with it.

2012 C63 Coupe here and pretty much the same complaints.

1. Slow transmission. Half my bunks never initiate any gear changes. I call it bunks because that's what it sounds like when you hit the paddles. I can't wait for the day the AMG exhaust sound experts go to work making that click sound better. Or actually existent.

2. Creeks and rattles everywhere. Every bump I hit I can hear a cricket chirp somewhere in the front dash. If i'm going around a sharp corner at an angle (~5mph) my sunroof makes a loud clank that sounds like someone hit it with a mallet. If the bass is loud enough something in the rear starts rattling.

3. The electronics. The tech software isn't great, but considering it's car tech I guess it's acceptable that the voice control very rarely works. As for the hardware, if it's a hot summer day out, 90F+, my driver side electronics goes caput. No steering wheel adjustments, chair adjustments, or sunroof opening/closing.

This is just with 18k miles over 2 years as I work from home and don't commute on a daily basis. I can't imagine what problems will arise after say 30-40K.

Regardless of these complaints, I still wouldn't want any other car. Well maybe an S63 coupe, but that's another topic.

Last edited by jakc; 12-18-2014 at 05:00 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
You came from an e350, so you should have expected the ride to be worse.

People saying gas... sigh. Just sell the car.

Yes, this is an AMG but it is an entry level amg that can be had for mid 30's now. I will admit, some of the squeaks in the front dash are a little uncalled for. But with the way these cars ride + our lovely roads and things are going to move about.

If I really had to pin something I didn't like it would be the cheap *** plastic door locks. I'd rather have some nicer looking pieces or a completely shaved look. Feel like those would be easy and cheap for MB to adjust. Also, the car has some weak offsets for wheels which really make it hard to run a very concave look such as the m3.
You can get metal AMG branded door lock pins. Look at the accessories on the main (german) site.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Slow transmission shifts in Manual - do you know that the owner's manual instructs you to be STOPPED when changing transmission mode to Manual?
I wonder if that will make a difference in shift speeds -- probably not, but the manual says to be stopped for a reason.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have 18's.

Dude - I feel for you! I remember all your posts about wanting/needing to do the switch. Now you have remorse!

You have to appreciate the C63 for what it is -- you will never see a car like this again. It's not about the suspension comfort, it's about a NON-TURBO large bore V8, with HYDRAULIC STEERING…
If you do not appreciate these things, I guess it was not the right decision.

The E63 is just like any modern car, with a non-linear, artificially induced power curve, electric power steering devoid of feel… and a whopping repair cost if any of that breaks down.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:53 AM

2011 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by Surge
Slow transmission shifts in Manual - do you know that the owner's manual instructs you to be STOPPED when changing transmission mode to Manual?
I wonder if that will make a difference in shift speeds -- probably not, but the manual says to be stopped for a reason.
Just covering their asses... Changing to M while moving isn't going to do anything adverse... Unless for some reason the torque converter isn't locked up, then it might give you a nice lurch.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,413 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Surge

The E63 is just like any modern car, with a non-linear, artificially induced power curve, electric power steering devoid of feel… and a whopping repair cost if any of that breaks down.
You summed up the e63 perfectly!

C300 owners have "whopping" repair bills too, the best advice is never own a Benz, and definitely never own an amg out of warranty ...
Old 12-18-2014, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
Originally Posted by Gary@Suvneer
Agree. The front passenger seat sings the song of squeak to my sensitive right ear all day long.

Also the tranny is not so fun in my 08.
That's the exact creak that pisses me off the most. When I don't have a passenger the constant noise bothers me to no end. The bumpy roads of Edmonton in general and the snow doesn't help.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by papashango
That's the exact creak that pisses me off the most. When I don't have a passenger the constant noise bothers me to no end. The bumpy roads of Edmonton in general and the snow doesn't help.
Exactly!
Old 12-18-2014, 06:38 PM

4 door
This is an interesting thread for a potential owner... Originally I was looking at e92 M3's but the rod bearings have me spooked. 2012+ C63's seem pretty solid from what I've researched. Plus I decided since I'll never track this car it will be a nicer daily driver than the M3 (torque and 4 doors/space).

Some of you said there's creeks and rattles and the suspension/ride is harsh. My current car is an 8th gen Civic Si and the ride for daily driving and long distance is my only complaint, considering what this car is built for and the price. The uncomfortable seats, stiff suspension, and loudness at 80mph make this car almost unbearable for hour+ drives.

I'm wondering how the C63 compares to the Civic Si in terms of road noise and comfort on long distance. Anyone have experience with this comparison? There's no way I'll even get a hint of this when I start test driving so just wondering how you guys think these cars do on long distance drives.

Please don't suggest to go with the E instead, or anything like that. I'm set on keeping with sports/performance cars and know the ride will always be stiffer. Just wondering what I'm getting into...

Last edited by the stiig; 12-18-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
You summed up the e63 perfectly! C300 owners have "whopping" repair bills too, the best advice is never own a Benz, and definitely never own an amg out of warranty ...
Yea this freaks me out. Lol. I'll put about 5-6k miles a year on this car. If I keep it for 8 years and never take it to a track, hopefully my maintenance/repair costs will be minimal. Crazy assumption?
Old 12-18-2014, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by the stiig
This is an interesting thread for a potential owner... Originally I was looking at e92 M3's but the rod bearings have me spooked. 2012+ C63's seem pretty solid from what I've researched. Plus I decided since I'll never track this car it will be a nicer daily driver than the M3 (torque and 4 doors/space). Some of you said there's creeks and rattles and the suspension/ride is harsh. My current car is an 8th gen Civic Si and the ride for daily driving and long distance is my only complaint, considering what this car is built for and the price. The uncomfortable seats, stiff suspension, and loudness at 80mph make this car almost unbearable for hour+ drives. I'm wondering how the C63 compares to the Civic Si in terms of road noise and comfort on long distance. Anyone have experience with this comparison? There's no way I'll even get a hint of this when I start test driving so just wondering how you guys think these cars do on long distance drives. Please don't suggest to go with the E instead, or anything like that. I'm set on keeping with sports/performance cars and know the ride will always be stiffer. Just wondering what I'm getting into...
this car is amazing, if you're looking for a crazy powerful fun car to drive this is it. It's just not a family car by any Means(imo). I'm still learning, but it looks like the worst part about this car is the money you'll spend if something goes wrong.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:24 PM

2014 C63 AMG 507 Edition
This is an interesting thread for a potential owner... Originally I was looking at e92 M3's but the rod bearings have me spooked. 2012+ C63's seem pretty solid from what I've researched. Plus I decided since I'll never track this car it will be a nicer daily driver than the M3 (torque and 4 doors/space).

Some of you said there's creeks and rattles and the suspension/ride is harsh. My current car is an 8th gen Civic Si and the ride for daily driving and long distance is my only complaint, considering what this car is built for and the price. The uncomfortable seats, stiff suspension, and loudness at 80mph make this car almost unbearable for hour+ drives.

I'm wondering how the C63 compares to the Civic Si in terms of road noise and comfort on long distance. Anyone have experience with this comparison? There's no way I'll even get a hint of this when I start test driving so just wondering how you guys think these cars do on long distance drives.

Please don't suggest to go with the E instead, or anything like that. I'm set on keeping with sports/performance cars and know the ride will always be stiffer. Just wondering what I'm getting into...

I don't experience any creeks in my car, no complaints...I had a 2001 Si, and this car is much more comfortable...the C63 seats are some of the best out there...
Old 12-18-2014, 07:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R8, C63, C300
I'm wondering how the C63 compares to the Civic Si in terms of road noise and comfort on long distance. Anyone have experience with this comparison?
I think we reached a low point...comparing a C63 to a Civic SI.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:53 PM

4 door
Originally Posted by black lavender
Maybe you missed the point... I wanted a comparison in ride comfort only. There were quite a few posts in this thread about being disappointed in the ride comfort with the C63, being too stiff/harsh. I apologize if you were offended by thinking I was saying a Civic and your C63 are in the same class and therefore should be compared directly.

No matter how big a jump I might go from my current daily driver to the next, I'll always be making my own comparisons between the two. How else do you get to be excited when you make an upgrade?
Old 12-18-2014, 07:58 PM

2014 C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by black lavender

Old 12-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
This is an interesting thread for a potential owner... Originally I was looking at e92 M3's but the rod bearings have me spooked...
I never heard of rod bearings being an issue on e9x series M3's
Only the crank bearing girdle on a few early models

The rod bearings were an issue on the e46 but it was fixed an a tsb was released good for all cars even out of warranty to replace them
http://members.roadfly.org/kmurph/BearingsSB.pdf

Last edited by Ingenieur; 12-18-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:25 PM

4 door

The rod bearings were an issue on the e46 but it was fixed an a tsb was released good for all cars even out of warranty to replace them
Yeah it's the rod bearings, all years for the e9x m3 as far as I know. Clearance is too tight apparently. BMW hasn't issued a TSB or recall or anything. I've only seen that they replaced engines while in warranty.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:37 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Yeah it's the rod bearings, all years for the e9x m3 as far as I know. Clearance is too tight apparently. BMW hasn't issued a TSB or recall or anything. I've only seen that they replaced engines while in warranty.
So they make the exact same mistake on 2 generations
So much for German qa/qc lol
Old 12-18-2014, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV

http://members.roadfly.org/kmurph/BearingsSB.pdf
It is definitely a big problem with the E9X generation:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=945034

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786615

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492801

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The worst part about the c63?