C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Shopping For CPO C63 AMG - Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gs350
Shopping For CPO C63 AMG - Questions

I don't know much about the car other than a few YouTube videos. I have read up on the car as much as I could find.

With that said, I found a 2013 C63 AMG Sedan I am interested in. It has the P31 AMG Development Package which includes:

923 - Power Increase (+30hp)
251 - Delimitation of top speed to 174 mph
U70 - Red Brake Calipers
U47 - Sport Package
P30 - AMG Performance Package Code

It does not have a Limited Slip Differential.

From what I have read it appears to be a waste of money to spend the amount for all that power and not have a LSD, is this correct?

Why would they make a car with the added horsepower and not have a LSD?

Is it even safe to drive in the rain, for example, and not have a LSD?

When I asked the salesman all he said was all cars since 1995 have traction control.

Thanks for educating this want to be C63 owner
Old 12-29-2014, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
The stock LSD only has a 20% lock up IIRC. I wouldn't sweat it. If it's got everything else, get it and throw a wavetrac in. The stock system will brake the spinning wheel which helps on the street. I only notice my open diff under hard acceleration in lower grip situations (cold weather) and coming out of corners on the track. I've never driven mine in the snow but my other 2 cars I use in the snow have LSD. LSD is a must have for snow.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Make sure it has the lighting package...that is a must!!
Old 12-29-2014, 11:00 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2012 C63 P31 sedan
I would say, just based on a rough estimate of when I was looking at used c63s like yourself, that less than 20% of 2012+ C63s have the factory installed LSD. Will it make a difference? Of course. Is it worth an extra $2K on a car most people will be driving around public streets in...I guess not to most people.

To further confuse you, most of the pre facelift cars with the p30 package had factory LSDs...they took the LSD out when the performance package switched over to p31.

I personally would consider a lack of xenons to be a greater shame than the lack of LSD.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gs350
Originally Posted by realjones88
I would say, just based on a rough estimate of when I was looking at used c63s like yourself, that less than 20% of 2012+ C63s have the factory installed LSD. Will it make a difference? Of course. Is it worth an extra $2K on a car most people will be driving around public streets in...I guess not to most people.

To further confuse you, most of the pre facelift cars with the p30 package had factory LSDs...they took the LSD out when the performance package switched over to p31.

I personally would consider a lack of xenons to be a greater shame than the lack of LSD.
Ya, I am confused. You say they took the LSD out when the performance package switched over to p31. What about the P31 package allows for no need of a LSD? I guess that is what I am asking and don't understand.

Would Driving during a downpour on the L.A. Freeways be safe? What if I had to come to a fast stop? Would I be sliding all over the place? Ya, I know, it doesn't rain here much but stil...

It does come with the lighting package and high beam control.

Here's the link to the car. Sorry if it's not allowed. http://www.rusnakarcadia.com/used/c6...-sale-arcadia-
Old 12-31-2014, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
The ESP is always active during panic braking. The stock LSD contributes very little in a panic braking situation. Again, the only place you will notice you don't have one is really the track. You won't be all over the place. I've had my open diff C63 on VIR up to 160ish in the dry (so my driving instructor told me) and could feel the inside wheel struggle to put down power. I've even had it there in the wet. Like I said in my previous post, don't worry about it. If you find you need one later (snow, track, or strip), you can easily add a better aftermarket one. Why did they take the LSD out for P31? So they could charge for it...
Old 12-31-2014, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Bruin18
Ya, I am confused. You say they took the LSD out when the performance package switched over to p31. What about the P31 package allows for no need of a LSD? I guess that is what I am asking and don't understand.

Would Driving during a downpour on the L.A. Freeways be safe? What if I had to come to a fast stop? Would I be sliding all over the place? Ya, I know, it doesn't rain here much but stil...

It does come with the lighting package and high beam control.

Here's the link to the car. Sorry if it's not allowed. http://www.rusnakarcadia.com/used/c6...-sale-arcadia-
That's a nice price for that car. You can probably even knock another grand or two off of it. Most folks won't even notice whether they have LSD or not. I had a 2009 without it and now have a 2014 507 with it and I feel no difference. IMHO, if the car would've suffered obvious and significant performance deficiencies in everyday driving without LSD, they never would've made 80% of them that way.