Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 391 Likes on 190 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by mthis
Exacty.
Originally Posted by TexasEngineer
Additionally if you are trying to squeeze every bit of HP out of the car possible. I would upgrade the headers you have. The AP headers are have smaller primaries than, the MHP, MBH, and Weistech. The larger primaries will yield more top end power and ultimately higher peak HP. The smaller diameter primaries will yeaild more low end torque, but less high RPM HP. You could also go to larger diameter mid pipes and cat back exhaust. The exhaust you have is only 2.75" in diameter. There are gains to be had with 3" exhaust.
Im not necessarily looking to squeeze every single pony out of it, I can also appreciate the change in driving characteristics via the increased flow of the TB's. I expect a quicker throttle response, along with the great low end tq the M156 produces it should make for one fun car to get going

I am no track junkie by any means, but I do get out to an annual roll race every once in a while, I'm an enthusiast who wants a bit of both performance and everyday enjoyment. I'm hoping to achieve a balanced build, The one reason I purchased the AP headers are exactly why you mentioned them, it was to gain more bottom end tq. At this point The car is making 465WHP and 410WTQ, and its very enjoyable. The response is extremely linear, the car just doesn't lose its breath.

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
Here is Dads thread. He said about 20 whp for heads/cams

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post3771052
Thank you for clarifying, Hmm, just for a cost / HP comparison. Do any you guys know a rough cost to port the heads on the M156? I have access to a machine shop that specializes in head work, but never thought to ask if they can do it.

Originally Posted by ruey220
i realized with NA cars that area already high output from the factory like AMG, there's very little HP you can squeeze out. I've noticed BMW M power cars have a far more distance you can stretch them because they are from a racing platform config that you can open up. True the C63 from detuned form to fully opened form it goes a long way, but once you're already up there there's very little you can do. Maybe it is because AMG engines are already hand built and inspected for marginal tolerances vs M cars I've seen some that you can go from 380 to 500HP without force feeding the motor.
The C63 is such a pleasure for me, part of the fun is being able to push the limits with the limits of staying in N/A form . Its a guilty pleasure i admit.

Originally Posted by mr747
IM sure if you have enough money you can get SLS performance/horse power from the m156
Ive seen guys in Germany putting SLS intake manifolds on the m156 i guess its down to how much money you want to spend
I seen that a few months back, from the look of it, its the SLS intake manifold + a fairly standard filter setup. Im curious to know if the OEM SLS manifold are straight bolt on! That filter setup can be fabricated fairly easily
Old 01-15-2015, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63

I found something for you
Old 01-15-2015, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Heads/cams aren't cheap. I think the most recent thread mentioned something like $8,000. Thats more than half a blower!
Old 01-15-2015, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I have experience with larger throttle bodies on an NA M156...don't do it unless you plan on running a BIG shot of NOS, you don't need them, waste of money. The stock TBs can flow more air than you will ever need NA.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
I have experience with larger throttle bodies on an NA M156...don't do it unless you plan on running a BIG shot of NOS, you don't need them, waste of money. The stock TBs can flow more air than you will ever need NA.

Jim after you had the TB's done, did you notice a much quicker throttle response? any other changes in the cars drivability?

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
Heads/cams aren't cheap. I think the most recent thread mentioned something like $8,000. Thats more than half a blower!

8K is a lot, but its something to consider as well. Its good to know other options are out their.

Originally Posted by mr747

I love it!
Old 01-15-2015, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Kriston
Jim after you had the TB's done, did you notice a much quicker throttle response? any other changes in the cars drivability?

I actually noticed slight hesitation at times during daily driving when just light throttle was being applied. This was many years ago and pre Weistec/Blower so it may have simply been a tuning issue but my guess is the car would be too lean at low throttle with the larger TB's. As I am sure you were aware I have run a wideband meter on the CLK since the early days when I was spraying nitrous through it. at WOT everything was kosher but as I mentioned it would run lean when babied and ***** footed around town.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 AMG C63 Coupe 507
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I too was looking at going down the TB route in my quest for 507rwhp (actually I'd be happy with an honest 500 :-D)

I'm at 485rwhp now with headers, no cats, tune, and rest of world air intakes (ie. no charcoal filters) on my 507 Coupe.

Seriously, AMG engineered these cars amazingly well. Car made 460rwhp on the factory log exhaust manifolds - amazing when you look at them.

My car keeps up with some very fast and a lot more expensive cars, the gains from this point on are going to be smaller,

Once I learned that stock TB's flow 1300cfm it was game over wasting money on them. Listen to JCart. Adding more CFM when the engine only needs 702cfm to turn 8000rpm can NOT add power through the increased cfm. Any gain could only come from better quality air flow - and it's hard to believe the already larger than required AMG OEM developed TB's left anything on the table here.

Also - please God do not get a local head guy who did these "trick heads" on a LT1 and made it go fast touch your AMG. I'd put money on it going slower and running worse. Heads and cams were developed by AMG over countless hours and the only way to improve them is to benefit from someone who has already spent the time and effort to get results. Then you need to get them to tune it as well or you'll be paying a lot for R and D on cam timing/tuning. It's actually be worth shipping the car.

That 35rwhp you seek won't come easily or cheap - but heads and cams have more in them than TB can.

For me - to get the 20rwhp I need I'm going to:

1 - Design a custom exhaust from stock mid resonator back.

2 - add either the MHP carbon complete air box and cover http://www.modernhorsepower.com/cgi-...MC63MHPFCFIC63

or the Renntech equivalent: http://www.renntechmercedes.com/inde...engnies-detail

One claims 30hp the other 10. I'm inclined to believe the 30hp claim is replacing the US system which included Charcoal filters, and that the 10hp gain is an actual addition from having already removed the charcoal filters.... anyone know?

If the above 2 mods are still short, only then will I consider heads or cams. The power delivery is so good now, I'd hate to ruin it
Old 05-23-2015, 02:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
You're in the same boat as my brother atm. He's building a strictly N/A setup.
I went from N/A to forced induction then sold up. Big difference in power and power delivery. And to be honest going S/C will save you $$ because you'll get the power you want for less $ in the long run.

But each to their own. He is building a similar setup to you and is exhausting nearly every option out there trying to get information and trying to squeeze 10hp here and 10hp there as it all adds up at the end.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
IMHO it gets to a point on these cars where there is such thing as too much power. I know Forced induction is the way to go for big power. But I'm not looking for that. I do believe long term a properly built N/A application would be more reliable. I intend to keep the car, so I'm exploring my NA options.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
IMHO it gets to a point on these cars where there is such thing as too much power. I know Forced induction is the way to go for big power. But I'm not looking for that. I do believe long term a properly built N/A application would be more reliable. I intend to keep the car, so I'm exploring my NA options.

well then your car already have enough power as is. don't mess with tb or crank pulley its not worth it, more headache then hp.

if the tb kit is 4k like you said and a used weistec sc kit is 8.5k the answer is clear.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
The car is making good power as it stands right now, and your right. I don't want to get into stuff for more headache. Looking for long term reliable gains. Exhaust / tune are a no brainer.

After that theres not much aside from the TB's and SC's. I am most interested in the Renntech TB's, While there are a few members who have had direct experience with them. Theres not much real world experience with it. Theoretically our stock TB's flow more than enough CFM / post tune they are 100% open. But who knows, I do trust Renntech though. There practically OEM AMG.

Its a tough decision for sure, but the USD / CAD conversion has been killing me lately. Add another 20% ontop for exchange.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
The car is making good power as it stands right now, and your right. I don't want to get into stuff for more headache. Looking for long term reliable gains. Exhaust / tune are a no brainer.

After that theres not much aside from the TB's and SC's. I am most interested in the Renntech TB's, While there are a few members who have had direct experience with them. Theres not much real world experience with it. Theoretically our stock TB's flow more than enough CFM / post tune they are 100% open. But who knows, I do trust Renntech though. There practically OEM AMG.

Its a tough decision for sure, but the USD / CAD conversion has been killing me lately. Add another 20% ontop for exchange.

save your money for another day
Old 02-23-2023, 12:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 393 Likes on 284 Posts
E55 C63
A customer send us a link to this thread looking for an up to date throttlebody option, Dropping our link here for anyone searching in the future! https://www.vrpspeed.com/product/vrpm156tb/