C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Benefits of stainless steel braided lines??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 04:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Benefits of stainless steel braided lines??

Hey guys, so Im about to swap out my stock pads for some Porterfield R4's.. Was considering getting stainless steel braided lines but if I dont need to, Id rather save the cash. Can someone tell me what the most important benefits there are for ss braided lines? Ive been told by some that the difference is very minimal from stock rubber lines. Also price-wise, does it sell as a kit front and rear or by per line? I was trying to find Stoptech ones but couldnt find a part#. Renntech is pretty expensive though.. Also how long does our stock rubber lines usually last? Thanks
Old 01-15-2015, 05:21 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a car
Unlike your stock lines they won't flex or collapse and negate any sponginess of the pedal feel.

They are also more corrosion resistant and have a much broader heat range than what your OEM would have meaning they will stay how they should if you are tracking heavily.

You probably won't find anything out there other than Renntech and the ones that we make unless you custom make your own.

Ours sell for $199 for the car set and I have them in stock if you are interested.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
PM sent
Old 01-15-2015, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 300e
I don't have ss brake lines on the c63. But I do have them on a 4Runner and had them on my old 350z. The pedal feel is much more responsive. It bites right when you touch that pedal.

But again, not on the amg. Just personal experience on the difference.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:38 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
The main thing is the lack of expansion when the fluid gets hot during track use. If this is your DD and you don't track the car the difference will be minimal. I have them as I have the Brembo BBK upgrade but I also track my car and quickly found out the stock brakes are not up to the job.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe, 2005 C230K Kleemann Sedan, 2013 GLK350 4matic
I got my SS brake lines through Tire Rack
Old 01-16-2015, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
You won't notice any difference on a street vehicle.

On a track car, there may be some brake modulation feel benefit as the s/s braid prevents the fluid hose inside from expanding (bulging) under high brake fluid pressures. However, this is only evident on cars where the OEM lines are made of relatively soft rubber, and the ones on the C63 are internally reinforced so there is no difference in feel. I have a set on mine and I've been driving numerous other C63s back-to-back on the track and have never noticed a difference.

You have to be careful with s/s brake lines because some of the cheaper ones have been known to pop the hose from the collar / fitting that is crimped on, which is about as dangerous as things can get at the track (line pops out from caliper and your brake fluids squirts out leaving you with no brakes). I don't know who makes the ones that ACG sells, but I - and a lot of professional racing teams - use Goodridge. They'll be happy to custom make whatever lines you need if you give them a call. Stay away from cheap no-name brands. Again, I am not in any way saying that the ACG ones are not high quality lines, only that you need to be careful what you buy if you are in the 0.1% of serious track junkies that can possibly see some benefit from them, especially on a C63 where the OEM ones are heavily reinforced.