Burning smell- help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Burning smell- help please

Hi folks
I know there have been various posts on similar topics with varied views on how important this may be, but, I thought I'd ask for opinions anyway; appreciate your help in advance.
2011 C63, 19,000 miles, eurocharged V5, otherwise stock- has been a great experience with this car.

Recently, smelling a burning smell, most likely near the driver side wheel well area, even after a low speed short run. First started after a slow short trip in foggy/humid weather.

Both front wheels turn smoothly when jacked up( does not appear that the brake caliper is stuck), braking is fine, no temp difference noticable on touching both brakes/wheels after a run, no fluid leaks obvious under the hood, all fluid levels ok( even checked power steering reservoir and easily visible hoses); car runs great.

Generally have a trust deficit in the dealer and do not want to be taken for a ride in an after warranty car.

Suggestions please. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Hard to say without knowing what the smell smells like. Could be rubber from the tires, brake pads, or even a burned out wheel bearing.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
How can you be sure it is coming from the wheel well?
Could it be from the engine bay?
Old 01-20-2015, 11:41 AM

C63
It appears to be a rubber/plastic type burning; again, it appears to be mostly coming from the driver side wheel well; not so much from the engine bay upon lifting the hood.
I have resigned myself to going to the dealer, before things get worse.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by C63KES
It appears to be a rubber/plastic type burning; again, it appears to be mostly coming from the driver side wheel well; not so much from the engine bay upon lifting the hood. I have resigned myself to going to the dealer, before things get worse. Thanks for the replies.
Maybe the undertray or wheel well liner got bumped or something and is melting against the engine block. Can also be an old plastic bag or something similar that got caught and melted there. I ran over a plastic bag and it melted instantly to my exhaust. Although I removed the loose parts, it took a while for the melted on bit to burn off completely.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:05 PM

C63
Thanks, did not see anything like a bag or debris. The smell is very slight and is gone in a minute after I park. Considering everything, should I wait before wasting money at the dealer.